EGR Valve help wanted

FurionAlchemist

Mine is throwing P0404 code. I hear it's a pain to change out myself ($80 with my NAPA hookup vs $410.99+tax the dealer quoted me), but I'm going to do it. Does anyone have any advice on the process, perhaps the best way to reach it? Removing the battery tray? Or the RF tire and fender liner?

Much appreciated for any helpful advice.
-KJ

2009 Unlimited X w/auto tranny

While I haven't done this myself, I would think you should have much better access to it just be removing the fender liner.

REMOVAL

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.Remove the EGR tube and upper intake manifold See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Intake Manifold\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Intake Manifold - Removal.

Disconnect the right bank ignition wires (cylinders 1, 3 and 5) from the spark plugs.
Disengage the ignition wire harness tray (1) from the valve cover studs and reposition the ignition wire harness.

Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the EGR valve (1).

For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, raise and secure the vehicle on a hoist See: Maintenance\Vehicle Lifting\Service and Repair
Remove the bolt (1) from the transmission fluid level indicator tube and reposition the tube.

Lower the vehicle.
Remove the two EGR valve mounting bolts (3) and remove the EGR valve (1).
Discard the gasket (2).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

REMOVAL

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.Remove the EGR tube and upper intake manifold See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Intake Manifold\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Intake Manifold - Removal.

Disconnect the right bank ignition wires (cylinders 1, 3 and 5) from the spark plugs.
Disengage the ignition wire harness tray (1) from the valve cover studs and reposition the ignition wire harness.

Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the EGR valve (1).

For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, raise and secure the vehicle on a hoist See: Maintenance\Vehicle Lifting\Service and Repair
Remove the bolt (1) from the transmission fluid level indicator tube and reposition the tube.

Lower the vehicle.
Remove the two EGR valve mounting bolts (3) and remove the EGR valve (1).
Discard the gasket (2).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I realize this is an old thread, however I thought I would include me two cents having just replaced my EGR valve 30 minutes ago in my drive as snow was blowing around (thats right, friggen snow May 12!) Anyways, this job is actually very easy and you really really do not have to remove your upper intake or plug wires.
In fact all you have to do is (assuming you are working on a 3.8L not a 3.6L engine):
1. Open your hood, with a long flat screw driver unplug your old EGR valve
2. Remove your RF inner fender
3. Remove the EGR to intake tube bolts (8mm socket, extension and ratchet) and discard old gasket
4. With a shallow 10mm socket on your ratchet reach in behind the EGR and remove the two bolts securing the egr to the engine, discard the old egr valve and gasket
5. Clean all old gasket surfaces making sure all old gasket material has been removed
6. Re-install EGR in opposite order of removal, clear engine code or remove negative battery cable for two minutes.
This procedure will take you around 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your hands/ mechanical ability, I highly recommend doing this job yourself as there is very little about this job you can screw up, I also really suggest NOT removing your plug wires or upper intake as some service manuals (all data, OnDemand) may recommend. Removing your upper intake will require further parts and you may induce an intake leak if you do not reinstall correctly. The upper intake is not a very large job but why do work that is not necessary? :cool: Any questions feel free to ask! Keep in mind this short write up is for the 3.8L engine not the 3.6L

I realize this is an old thread, however I thought I would include me two cents having just replaced my EGR valve 30 minutes ago in my drive as snow was blowing around (thats right, friggen snow May 12!) Anyways, this job is actually very easy and you really really do not have to remove your upper intake or plug wires.
In fact all you have to do is (assuming you are working on a 3.8L not a 3.6L engine):
1. Open your hood, with a long flat screw driver unplug your old EGR valve
2. Remove your RF inner fender
3. Remove the EGR to intake tube bolts (8mm socket, extension and ratchet) and discard old gasket
4. With a shallow 10mm socket on your ratchet reach in behind the EGR and remove the two bolts securing the egr to the engine, discard the old egr valve and gasket
5. Clean all old gasket surfaces making sure all old gasket material has been removed
6. Re-install EGR in opposite order of removal, clear engine code or remove negative battery cable for two minutes.
This procedure will take you around 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your hands/ mechanical ability, I highly recommend doing this job yourself as there is very little about this job you can screw up, I also really suggest NOT removing your plug wires or upper intake as some service manuals (all data, OnDemand) may recommend. Removing your upper intake will require further parts and you may induce an intake leak if you do not reinstall correctly. The upper intake is not a very large job but why do work that is not necessary? :cool: Any questions feel free to ask! Keep in mind this short write up is for the 3.8L engine not the 3.6L

Looks like I'm going to have to do this...Cheapest price found was on rockauto...approx. $68...Autozone has one for $126. I guess my main question is (since this seems to be rather easy to swap) Is there any real reason to keep the inner fender liners? I'm running stock tires....Hoping to upgrade to 33's or 35's soon. Thanks ahead of time

Top Bottom