Emergency Brake hardware replacement

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 196056

Success. Glad I pulled it. Just noticed the actuator attached to the brake cable is seized and will also need replacement. It just keeps going. Did I mention the last remaining retainer bolt to remove the axle decided to strip it's splines and just spin. That was fun times with a hack saw blade cutting it off. Oh well, if I didn't enjoy the sense of accomplishment I would not try.

Good deal.

rinkishjk

View attachment 196056

Success. Glad I pulled it. Just noticed the actuator attached to the brake cable is seized and will also need replacement. It just keeps going. Did I mention the last remaining retainer bolt to remove the axle decided to strip it's splines and just spin. That was fun times with a hack saw blade cutting it off. Oh well, if I didn't enjoy the sense of accomplishment I would not try.

Good deal. Hope the dealer has one

sbakewell

Soooo...any advice on getting the red lock slider to slide in and clip for the wheel speed sensor. I've cleaned it with contact cleaner and just can't get it to clip. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460738295.102969.jpg

sbakewell

Getting ready to finalize the project. Just had my neighbor come over with his mig and tack weld the studs so they don't spin. Anyone know what the torque specs for the flange bolts and where to use thread locker? I've read that most use blue loc tite vs red.

sbakewell

This is becoming a joke. I replaced a caliper (with a remanufactured unit) and I cannot get the brake line to seal to the new caliper. The strange thing is that the original looks nothing like the old. I suspect these washers are not right that came packaged with the reman caliper. What gives? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461536728.994552.jpg
Here is the original from the other side

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461536758.331910.jpg

thorndike

installing brake shoe springs in '07 Wrangler JK

Hello everyone,
I am fixing all of the things the previous owner neglected to do and have a question about the Ebrake shoe installation.

I have removed the rotor, old shoes, springs, etc and am preparing to reinstall. Unfortunately, I have a problem getting the springs installed. There are two springs on the opposite side from the star adjuster that I can not get installed. One of the springs is BEHIND the shoes so that it is impossible to stretch it enough to get it engaged in the shoe holes. Is there a trick to this? Is this rear spring even needed?

I can't wait to hear a solution so I can take my jeep off the jack stands!

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not 100% sure what you're referring to but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you need the spring and you need brake shoe spring pliers to get it on.

benatc1

Hooked
Not 100% sure what you're referring to but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you need the spring and you need brake shoe spring pliers to get it on.

Hello everyone,
I am fixing all of the things the previous owner neglected to do and have a question about the Ebrake shoe installation.

I have removed the rotor, old shoes, springs, etc and am preparing to reinstall. Unfortunately, I have a problem getting the springs installed. There are two springs on the opposite side from the star adjuster that I can not get installed. One of the springs is BEHIND the shoes so that it is impossible to stretch it enough to get it engaged in the shoe holes. Is there a trick to this? Is this rear spring even needed?

Thanks

What Eddie said, I know that spring is a total bitch, I been there. Having the right tool is really he only way, I want to say I got it with a normal set of pliers but it took hours and a whole lot of frustration, certainly seems impossible

WJCO

Meme King
Hello everyone,

Thanks

I merged your thread here. I assume you're referring to the springs in the very first picture. Couldn't you just install those first onto the shoes while removed from the vehicle, then just 'clamshell' them around the axle and secure them to the backing plate?

In other words, don't fasten the shoes to the backing plate first. First put those two springs on the shoes with no other springs installed, then wrap the shoes around the axle shaft, then re-install the rest of the springs/adjuster/etc.

Top Bottom