Engine 3.8 vs 3.6 Pentastar

uhporkchop

5.38's will give you more power and is what you may enjoy more but, the pinion gets to be really really small in a Dana 44. Granted, I was running 40's at the time but, I have blown mine out and could see how it could happen even with 37's. I personally wouldn't recommend anything higher than a 5.13 in a Dana 44.

Thx I figured as much....I think 5.13 will do....any suggestions on manufactures to stick with as far as gears go or does it matter?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx I figured as much....I think 5.13 will do....any suggestions on manufactures to stick with as far as gears go or does it matter?

Pretty much all the gears out there are made by the same manufacturer in South Korea. The only difference is the box they come in.

TacPen

Banned
Pretty much all the gears out there are made by the same manufacturer in South Korea. The only difference is the box they come in.

Hm... that's actually good info. I know they are heat treated and lapped but is there any value to having them cryo-treated if you can get it done on the cheap before putting them in?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hm... that's actually good info. I know they are heat treated and lapped but is there any value to having them cryo-treated if you can get it done on the cheap before putting them in?

Not that I know of. You can't make a tiny pinion with about one tooth on the ring gear be as strong as a bigger one with multiple teeth on the ring gear just by freezing it. In a Dana 44, I personally would not run anything bigger than a 5.13 and in a Dana 30, a 4.88. But, that's just me.

uhporkchop

Not that I know of. You can't make a tiny pinion with about one tooth on the ring gear be as strong as a bigger one with multiple teeth on the ring gear just by freezing it. In a Dana 44, I personally would not run anything bigger than a 5.13 and in a Dana 30, a 4.88. But, that's just me.

All great info WOL....thx

StrizzyChris

Im not sure where you're from, but there's a place near oceanside that does cryo treatment. Its pretty cheap to do and according to a couple 4wd magazines and articles i have read(obviously no personal experience, but then again i dont know anyone on here that has had this done) it will give around 30% more strength. Not sure how they got those numbers, but there is no doubt that temperature treatment hardens steel. As mentioned it doesn't make a 44 into a 60....but it can only help and for cheep! :twocents:

Top Bottom