Engine Oil

TxCoastie

Related question....

Ive stayed with the 5W20 Pennzoil Synthetic thus far but been wondering if I should bump up to a thicker oil.

Im in south Texas.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Search my username and oil if you want an insanely technical answer with lab testing results, etc. If you want the cliffnotes, run whatever synthetic oil is on sale at costco or your local big box store and call it good. Stay away from Royal Purple.

TxCoastie

Im now running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. Im sticking with the owners manual guidelines since Im under warranty.

DogHouse

Why not 5w20? Is 5w30 better?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It all depends on where you operate your Jeep. Different oil viscosities work for a different range of temperatures. If you live in Alaska you’ll want a “0” weight oil if you live in the middle of Africa you’ll probably want 15w45 or higher. The higher the viscosity numbers means the oil is more resistant to flow. So if you run “0” weight oil in the middle of Africa it will probably be thinner than water likewise if you run 15w45 in Alaska your starter probably won’t be able to turn the engine over since the oil would be about as thick as molasses.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Because his motor call for it. Not every 3.6 is the same. Some are 30w, some 20w and the new are 0w I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It was switched I believe in 14 or 15. If you are under warranty I’d run the 20W so as to never have an issue. If not I can easily run the 30W. It was dropped from 30 to 20 for fuel economy. Ya doesn’t make a big difference for any one person but when you ship millions of 3.6s a year and have some crazy EPA numbers to meet every tenth helps lol. Same reason why the tire pressure went up in many vehicles over the years with the same tires on same vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bustedback

Search my username and oil if you want an insanely technical answer with lab testing results, etc. If you want the cliffnotes, run whatever synthetic oil is on sale at costco or your local big box store and call it good. Stay away from Royal Purple.

What’s the deal with Royal Purple?

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

RazerX

I ran 5W-30 for the first 24,000 miles on my 2014, but tried the Penzoil 5W-20 (the one made from natural gas) in my last oil change and haven't noticed any difference in noise level.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
What’s the deal with Royal Purple?

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Take a read on some of the old oil threads and you can see the technical answer your question, and have all the info you need about oil, and why royal purple is a subpar product, shown to harm engines, especially those with forced induction. The short answer, it's is a fair bit more expensive than competing oils, and FAR FAR inferior in wear protection, and basically all oil testing. It's not even in the top 30 synthetics, and even some dino's outperform it. They have also been caught in a heap of lies as well as a company.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/13284-3-6-synthetic-oil

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/6985-Mobil-1-extended-performance-oil

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/11369-Which-oil-do-you-like?highlight=nfrs2000nyc+oil

Last edited:
Top Bottom