Essential Armor?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about the exhaust loop on the 2012+ models and the evap? Just bought a 15' Rubi 6-speed and am looking at skids as a first mod. If your saying that I can only run an oil pan skid and not have to worry about anything, well then you just saved me a good bit of money.

The EVAP comes with a factory skid and if you really wanted to do anything with it, you'd be better served relocating it than anything. The exhaust loop is a legitimate concern and one that I sometimes forget being that it only applies to 2012-up. I personally don't run a skid to protect mine and have not had an issue but, a good hit to hit could cause damage to your cat and that could potentially be a costly fix. Of course, being so close to your frame rail, it will most likely take the hit first. But, if you want to armor it up, the EVO protek system will take care of it.

rodgerdathug

Honestly, I really like the Rubicon rails. Back when I was running them on my Jeep, I found them to be surprisingly strong and I wouldn't hesitate to run them again especially the Mopar enhanced ones that come with the tube extension.

OK here a question on the Rubi rails and enhanced. Being limited on funds and just looked up the Mopar enhanced being 650ish+ are there any other kits like that out there that are just as good. I've seen genrights with a weld on kit any idea would be great. Mines is a mall crawler with occasional mud so I think the enhanced is what would work for me. And having a short girlfriend it will benefit her lol

scull20

Honestly, I really like the Rubicon rails. Back when I was running them on my Jeep, I found them to be surprisingly strong and I wouldn't hesitate to run them again especially the Mopar enhanced ones that come with the tube extension.

OK here a question on the Rubi rails and enhanced. Being limited on funds and just looked up the Mopar enhanced being 650ish+ are there any other kits like that out there that are just as good. I've seen genrights with a weld on kit any idea would be great. Mines is a mall crawler with occasional mud so I think the enhanced is what would work for me. And having a short girlfriend it will benefit her lol

Take a look at the evo rock sliders. They're cheaper than the mopar ones and will be welded directly to the frame...oh and I'm pretty sure you can have them ordered with a custom angle so they act as a step too.

Last edited:

DangerDan

The EVAP comes with a factory skid and if you really wanted to do anything with it, you'd be better served relocating it than anything. The exhaust loop is a legitimate concern and one that I sometimes forget being that it only applies to 2012-up. I personally don't run a skid to protect mine and have not had an issue but, a good hit to hit could cause damage to your cat and that could potentially be a costly fix. Of course, being so close to your frame rail, it will most likely take the hit first. But, if you want to armor it up, the EVO protek system will take care of it.

I'm all for relocating it, however, that will void the warranty apparently. I think the Evo Protek crossmember skid is the only option when it comes to protecting the exhaust loop.

How about flipping the steering stabilizer? Granted, its not "armor" but puts it at a less venerable spot. Same with the electronic disconnect motor on the Rubicons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for relocating it, however, that will void the warranty apparently.

Like I said, the EVAP already comes with a skid and the relocating thing was an "if anything" scenario. Hell, in the 8 years I've been wheeling my 2007 JK with it's unprotected and unrelocated EVAP, I've only managed to knock it off 5 times and only damaged it enough to replace it twice. Unlike an oil pan or transmission sump pan, you can drive just fine without one and I've always seen it as a low priority to protect. I still run the factory EVAP skid on my 2012 and it does just fine.

How about flipping the steering stabilizer? Granted, its not "armor" but puts it at a less venerable spot. Same with the electronic disconnect motor on the Rubicons.

Are you talking about paying upwards of $600 for a set of orange knuckles that only raise your tie rod about an inch? If so, I guarantee you that you will STILL hit your tie rod and bend it. You'd be much better served to save your money and just buying a HD tie rod.

Wardell

The "enhanced" Rubicon rock rails are the same ones that come on the 10A, X and HR special editions. There are a fair number of people who upgrade to other kits and sell their take off parts. If you look on sites like craigslist, you might be able to find a good deal.

DangerDan

Are you talking about paying upwards of $600 for a set of orange knuckles that only raise your tie rod about an inch? If so, I guarantee you that you will STILL hit your tie rod and bend it. You'd be much better served to save your money and just buying a HD tie rod.

No, I mean getting a steering stabilizer relocation bracket and mounting the steering stabilizer above the tie rod.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, I mean getting a steering stabilizer relocation bracket and mounting the steering stabilizer above the tie rod.

yea you can do it. there are a few companies that make SS relocation brackets that allow you to run the factory or aftermaket stabilizer on top of your tire rod. synergy is the one i have

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399002263.130915.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399002263.130915.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 95

DangerDan

yea you can do it. there are a few companies that make SS relocation brackets that allow you to run the factory or aftermaket stabilizer on top of your tire rod. synergy is the one i have

I was looking at the synergy bracket. I need to find a tie rod clamp as well. Apparently you cant flip them on a 2015.

stangbuster

-Engine/Trans(running RockHard4x4 steel, definitely saved my oil pan multiple times, the proof is carved into the 3/16 steel)
-Rocker sliders(running Ace Weld Ons after I caused $3,000+ in rocker body damage)
-Lower control arm bracket skids front and rear(running TF weld ons after tearing up OEM brackets pretty good).

Short anecdote-
My gas tank skid is concave now and I can't hold a "full" tank of gas anymore, aprox 3 gallons less than factory spec. I will say it doesn't leak and the OEM skid didn't fail per say, but I will soon be beating it back in shape and welding on more metal to prevent it again. Seriously its really annoying especially when I only get 12mpg in the first place. I feel like I am constantly stopping for gas when traveling on the highway. I get aprox 200 miles per tank down from aprox 250. Im guessing you can tell I'm really annoyed by this situation...:doh:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I plan to do the same basic skids on my '15 that I had on my '08 ( Evo front lower control arm mount skids, and Evo Rockstar skids for the rear), as well as the Evo oil pan skid and auto trans skid. I do not plan on getting the exhaust/ cross member skid, since I plan to go with long arms and have read that it won't fit with long arms. Does the crossmember skid from Evo protect anything very vital besides the exhaust?

Last edited:

Tanner505

I'm looking to do some skids on my jk soon what would you guys recommend the evo protek kit or the artec kit or the river raider kit? :)

dunstan74

I'm looking to do some skids on my jk soon what would you guys recommend the evo protek kit or the artec kit or the river raider kit? :)

Evo for sure. they are soild, easy to install, dont make servicing any more difficult (for a manual trans at least) and do a great job.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to do the same basic skids on my '15 that I had on my '08 ( Evo front lower control arm mount skids, and Evo Rockstar skids for the rear), as well as the Evo oil pan skid and auto trans skid. I do not plan on getting the exhaust/ cross member skid, since I plan to go with long arms and have read that it won't fit with long arms. Does the crossmember skid from Evo protect anything very vital besides the exhaust?

The cross member skid protects both the exhaust cross over AND the exhaust loop - the later being more important as that will also help protect your cat which can be a pricey fix. Granted, I don't run one being that I have a long arm kit and haven't lost any sleep over not having one. I am running a Poison Spyder HD cross member and I might recommend getting one instead.

Personally, I would get the EVO protek setup and mainly because they will only protect what you need and nothing else, will not add any more weight than is necessary, allow for significantly easier removal for inspection and servicing and is affordable. Of course, if you're into spending money on things you don't really need, here's an example of river raiders quality skid after one wheeling trip.

skidplate-abuse.jpg

BIGASS skid plate systems that covers everything add a significant amount of weight to your Jeep, they trap mud and debris and all kinds of heat, make it difficult to spot leaks and service your Jeep and the hex or bolt heads often get thrashed making it near impossible to remove. When we were on the JKX 2013, a guy broke his transfer case shifter linkage bushing and what should have been a quick 15 min fix turned into hours and well into the night because his damn skid plate system was in the way, was so freakin hot that we couldn't even touch them and simply couldn't remove a few of the bolts being that they were so beat up. Of course, I can only speak from my limited personal experience and you can take that for what it's worth.

Tanner505

The cross member skid protects both the exhaust cross over AND the exhaust loop - the later being more important as that will also help protect your cat which can be a pricey fix. Granted, I don't run one being that I have a long arm kit and haven't lost any sleep over not having one. I am running a Poison Spyder HD cross member and I might recommend getting one instead.

Personally, I would get the EVO protek setup and mainly because they will only protect what you need and nothing else, will not add any more weight than is necessary, allow for significantly easier removal for inspection and servicing and is affordable. Of course, if you're into spending money on things you don't really need, here's an example of river raiders quality skid after one wheeling trip.

View attachment 116517

BIGASS skid plate systems that covers everything add a significant amount of weight to your Jeep, they trap mud and debris and all kinds of heat, make it difficult to spot leaks and service your Jeep and the hex or bolt heads often get thrashed making it near impossible to remove. When we were on the JKX 2013, a guy broke his transfer case shifter linkage bushing and what should have been a quick 15 min fix turned into hours and well into the night because his damn skid plate system was in the way, was so freakin hot that we couldn't even touch them and simply couldn't remove a few of the bolts being that they were so beat up. Of course, I can only speak from my limited personal experience and you can take that for what it's worth.

With the full protek system, your unable to run long arms if I'm correct, I plan on doing long arms here in the future so would you still recommend the the evo kit

Top Bottom