Ever feel like wandering into the woods and not looking back

Ddays

Hooked
Every Damn Day. Gets worse the older I get too because I know I've got less ahead of me than behind me. Best I can do though with my situation is get a travel trailer and get away. Who the hell knows, I may be your neighbor some day Pete. Save me some coconut shell husks!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Got a bug up my ass in 2008 to leave the city behind and find a semi-remote piece of land to live on 'til I just can't do it anymore. Living in the mountains, heating with wood, having a well and septic is way more challenging to a geezer like me but I had to do it. I didn't want to be on my death bed and wish I had. My wife fought me tooth and nail at first but we love it here at 8,000 ft. When we first saw the property there was a herd of elk grazing right about where I'm writing this from. I didn't know what we were going to build, but I instantly knew we were going to live here. Electricity is about $30-35 a month and propane averages less than $50 a month. This bull with a missing antler was just below our deck on Wed. We are so glad we took the risk.
BigBull.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I had a log home with well and septic. Loved it! However , had a mortgage. Sold the joint , bought an Adobe, now getting ready to sell. Hopefully maka some money on it. Might take a few years but goal is build and be mortgage free. I'm not talking a tiny house on a trailer which are overpriced. Just a small house. Have a green house with a cistern as well. Wanted an earthship, but when I started pricing it I felt it was more than we wanted to spend. The are sweet tho, totally self-reliant. Reuses water, grow your own food inside, solar, etc. Got to look for pockets of freedom. Places that are less strict for building.

If you haven't already, look into aquaponics. It's a circular system where fish shit in water and that water is then pumped into your garden. You can even run it on solar. Then eventually the fish get big enough to eat as well.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Got a bug up my ass in 2008 to leave the city behind and find a semi-remote piece of land to live on 'til I just can't do it anymore. Living in the mountains, heating with wood, having a well and septic is way more challenging to a geezer like me but I had to do it. I didn't want to be on my death bed and wish I had. My wife fought me tooth and nail at first but we love it here at 8,000 ft. When we first saw the property there was a herd of elk grazing right about where I'm writing this from. I didn't know what we were going to build, but I instantly knew we were going to live here. Electricity is about $30-35 a month and propane averages less than $50 a month. This bull with a missing antler was just below our deck on Wed. We are so glad we took the risk.
View attachment 275621
Awesome brother! We hope to be doing the same! What did you build if you do not mind me asking? Really looking at cob or stick build at moment.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have a love/hate relationship with this "escape to the woods" wanderlust feeling... It's what keeps me outside Jeeping and backpacking, but I also know I'll probably never be able to stay out there.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm planning my escape! Still have another year before I can actually do it but I'm sure that year will pass quickly.

I've been looking for mountain/wheeling area property the last 2 months (well, last 19 years but family... getting more serious over the last 2 months).

I've gone from thinking motorhome to trailer ...but ultimately decided I like the idea of living simple where I can get out doing what I love to do without having to plan it months in advance.

I miss being able to go for late night, peaceful, cool air drives in the mountains.

Peaceful, enjoying the cool mountain air drives around here are non-existent. No mountains! it's all homes, buildings, freeways, 24/7 traffic and pretty much year-round heat around here.

Here's to going of the grid! or at least a better view :beer:

FallonJeeper

To the original post. Sometimes just some time off and away from the daily grind is just what we need to find ourselves and what is truly important to us.
You gotta do what works for you.
Hope you find it and peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
To the original post. Sometimes just some time off and away from the daily grind is just what we need to find ourselves and what is truly important to us.
You gotta do what works for you.
Hope you find it and peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haha yeah I'm pretty sure that's it. I use to take off for a few days at a time, with my wife being the only one to know. But started carrying for my dad who is disabled, I've lost the ability to take off on short notice. I guess I need to find better balance in it all [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Awesome brother! We hope to be doing the same! What did you build if you do not mind me asking? Really looking at cob or stick build at moment.

We built a log sided home with about 1700 sq. ft. We wanted full logs but that was too pricey, way too pricey. I truly hope you're able to do it.
OurDigs.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
We built a log sided home with about 1700 sq. ft. We wanted full logs but that was too pricey, way too pricey. I truly hope you're able to do it.
View attachment 275633

nice home.
I've been looking at similar designs along with A-frame.
In my head I'm thinking minimal it'll just be me.

The reality is family will be wanting to come hang out once they find out i have it.

full log prices scared me, i never imagined they would cost so much.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
A-frames are sweet and would be easy to build. We are going to build for us. Our last 5 homes would accommodate family. Rare visits. Now it's about us. We pay the bills. If they want to visit...they can pitch a tent! Lol!

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 275633

Beautiful home. IMO just the siding can create the cabin feel. We did the master suite at our last home tongue and groove and log trim and it totally felt like a cabin in the city.

Top Bottom