Evo 1 vs. Raptor

munstie

I'd take both given the choice. Either is a distinctly PURPOSE BUILT vehicle. That is a vehicle built for a specific purpose at which it excels. I will take at least one of each.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

I do like the Raptors, but I would have to take evo1. It's good at everything, not to mention it's a Jeep thing.

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Tigrcky

saying that a stock raptor with upgraded shocks can beat EVO1 in the desert is like saying a subaru wrx sti will beat a zl1 camaro in the standing mile... no matter how much you push on the throttle or cuss out the window it aint going to happen

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Honest question (I don't know the details of EVO1)...is an evo1 still really " a jeep" or is it like this....

turp_0508_01_z+nhra_sport_compact_nationals+honda_civic_aem_dragster.jpg

Obviously no one here would call the above "a civic"...which is why Im curious to know if Evo1 is still "a jeep" or is it a jeep shell with brand new everything underneath and the only jeep thing left is the cupholder. :D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Honest question (I don't know the details of EVO1)...is an evo1 still really " a jeep" or is it like this....

View attachment 73741

Obviously no one here would call the above "a civic"...which is why Im curious to know if Evo1 is still "a jeep" or is it a jeep shell with brand new everything underneath and the only jeep thing left is the cupholder. :D

It doesn't have cup holders but the body and frame are jeep and it has off the shelf parts. I would say it's a jeep.

GCM 2

Honest question (I don't know the details of EVO1)...is an evo1 still really " a jeep"

Of course it's still a jeep, but definitely is closer to a race car than the Sahara it started life as because of the level of commitment to modifications. Here is a comparison of what is still jeep and what is race car specific (Mel is obviously the expert, but here is what I can think of)

Jeep:
- full factory frame
- still has most of its jeep body from the A pillar/windshield frame back to the rear quarter panels
- supension is EVO spec'd available for any JK
- axles are EVO spec'd available for any JK
- motor is a Hemi swap available for any JK
- roll cage is EVO spec full frame tie-in and available for any JK
- has four working doors
- seats four adults

Race car:
- fuel cell (and location)
- exhaust routing
- interior
- front seats are full race spec seats (will not fit in JK)
- radiator location/position

Edit: when Mel uses it for the JK Experience he does throw a windshield back in the rig ;)

GCM 2

How do you think your Jeep would do against a Raptor GCM??

My 'high output 3.8L' would be problematic for me against that Ford V8 in a drag race. My suspension and axles are definitely up to the task, I have been proving that in the whoops, deep stuff, and rocks for 4 years. Don't get me wrong I would love to own a Raptor, but I don't think it's as capable across the spectrum of offroading like my Off Road Evolution built rig.

munstie

That's kinda what I was thinking, have the suspension to haul ass and the mini van motor to haul the kids.:D I figured the suspension would make a huge difference catching up in the whoops.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
My 'high output 3.8L' would be problematic for me against that Ford V8 in a drag race. My suspension and axles are definitely up to the task, I have been proving that in the whoops, deep stuff, and rocks for 4 years. Don't get me wrong I would love to own a Raptor, but I don't think it's as capable across the spectrum of offroading like my Off Road Evolution built rig.

I thought you had the h.o.p.e. edition?

crowrb29

I never realized evo1 started its life as a Sahara, makes me feel a little better about buying a sport instead if a rubi.

Tigrcky

here you go greg this is the ford crusher super rocket LS edition, it will make your jeep super awesome and desired by all!!! :thumb:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-46760/overview/make/chevrolet

CaliCrusher

Of course it's still a jeep, but definitely is closer to a race car than the Sahara it started life as because of the level of commitment to modifications. Here is a comparison of what is still jeep and what is race car specific (Mel is obviously the expert, but here is what I can think of)

Jeep:
- full factory frame
- still has most of its jeep body from the A pillar/windshield frame back to the rear quarter panels
- supension is EVO spec'd available for any JK
- axles are EVO spec'd available for any JK
- motor is a Hemi swap available for any JK
- roll cage is EVO spec full frame tie-in and available for any JK
- has four working doors
- seats four adults

Race car:
- fuel cell (and location)
- exhaust routing
- interior
- front seats are full race spec seats (will not fit in JK)
- radiator location/position

Edit: when Mel uses it for the JK Experience he does throw a windshield back in the rig ;)

I'm curious, dollar for dollar how the two vehicles compare. A stock 6.2 raptor is around $60k. What's evo 1?

Top gear loves bagging on corvettes, but the price point is a fraction its Italian and German counterparts. A gap far greater than the performance gap.

GCM 2

I'm curious, dollar for dollar how the two vehicles compare. A stock 6.2 raptor is around $60k. What's evo 1?

Top gear loves bagging on corvettes, but the price point is a fraction its Italian and German counterparts. A gap far greater than the performance gap.

I can't say what dollar amount has been spent on EVO1 over the years, only the owner knows that. EVO1 is a real world, research and development platform for a manufacturer's line of jeep parts that gets raced and driven hard. I can say that trying to use a comparison of a Top Gear test of two cars that are in the same category is not applicable. EVO1 and a Raptor are truly two different vehicles in two different vehicle classes, and cannot be compared solely based on what the vehicle is worth in dollars. EVO1 has been modified to compete legally, it's tagged for Ultra 4 Unlimited class racing.

Top Bottom