EVO 3" Plush Ride Coils vs 4" coils

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Got it. Any reason to this?

I figured the Evo Spec'ed King Shocks would offer a similar ride to the coils.

Those king shocks are made to get the shit kicked out of them in the desert. They are made for fast driving not mall crawling soft street driving.

JAGS

Hooked
Evo spring rate is softer than RK.

I understand fully what he is saying. It's not the coils, his shocks need to be revalved.

I see what you are saying now...after reading Chris's post below makes more sense...I think.

Those king shocks are made to get the shit kicked out of them in the desert. They are made for fast driving not mall crawling soft street driving.

I had to read your post with MTG's and Overlander's for this to make sense a bit more. Guess I'm just too much of Noob to tell how my own Jeep rides, but I don't mind the EVO spec with the Plush as a daily. Though I certainly like the way it handles at speeds when able to open it up a little.

swampdog

I see what you are saying now...after reading Chris's post below makes more sense...I think.

I had to read your post with MTG's and Overlander's for this to make sense a bit more. Guess I'm just too much of Noob to tell how my own Jeep rides, but I don't mind the EVO spec with the Plush as a daily. Though I certainly like the way it handles at speeds when able to open it up a little.

I'm with you too. It's took that last clarification for me to get it.

flectarn

Sure. But it doesn't make sense to have a coil that is optimized for both street use and offroad use to be bottle-necked on-road by the shock, in my opinion.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Sure. But it doesn't make sense to have a coil that is optimized for both street use and offroad use to be bottle-necked on-road by the shock, in my opinion.

It is optimized for the intended purpose of reservoir shock. The reservoir is there to allow you to drive fast and not lose the shocks to fade, You can't have a soft valve shock and go 50 across the desert.

The great thing is, it's a shock that can be re-valved until it fits your needs.

JAGS

Hooked

Just have your kings adjusted. I think this is why they don't sell the enforcer automatically with the EVO spec kings. I know a lot of folks who run other shocks altogether and love their enforcer. The Rancho 9k shocks might have been a better pairing for you with it's adjustability.

I'm running the exact same set up you are and don't really have any complaints, but that was coming from completely stock before. Have driven this set up for 33k miles. Will be putting even more road miles on it in the coming months. It's not my wifes SUV, but we'd fuck that thing up hitting the trails.

wyorubi

I have the 4'' evo coils with the king 2.0 shocks and it rides great on pavement. When I hit washboard roads it gets a little ruffer but not like my wifes TJ and it still feels smoother than stock. I went with the 2.0 shocks because my jeep is driven on the street 95% of the time.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ride quality is very subjective. My bet is your shocks are fine, they are just stiffer than suits your personal preference. Like Pig and Overlander said, the 2.5's are set up to handle some pretty serious driving. If you aren't used to that type of shock or driving, you might find them to be a little on the stiff side.

Personally, I love them on and off the street.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
EVO 3" Plush Ride Coils vs 4" coils

Ride quality is very subjective. My bet is your shocks are fine, they are just stiffer than suits your personal preference. Like Pig and Overlander said, the 2.5's are set up to handle some pretty serious driving. If you aren't used to that type of shock or driving, you might find them to be a little on the stiff side.

Subjective is it.

Most of the times people read plush ride and read how soft the ride is. They then have unrealistic expectations of a what plush ride is.

It's plush compared to everything else on the market but it's still on a jeep.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I was curious how much the shocks nitrogen pressure could affect the stiffness or ride? Too high or too low. This is just based on reading.

I think it would be worth checking and comparing to others. I know you need a proper pressure guage and not a regular tire pressure guage.

Any thoughts on this from the professional/experienced guys?

flectarn

Lol are you expecting them to say anything different? They won't.

Did you actually email evo or did you email off-road evolution?

I am not in expectation of anything. I am leaning towards them agreeing with you , but I don't know enough about anything to really have any valid opinion towards one way or the other. Here's the deal though. If I mess with the valving on the shock, it's going to defeat the purpose of having a set of shocks that was specifically valved by Evo for their coils. So before I do that, I would just like them to validate what you're saying.

And my email shows I emailed ORE.

flectarn

I agree, 100% subjective.

But here's what I can't wrap my head around. I am saying this not to argue, but to express my confusion and hopefully become more knowledgeable. As far as I know, when a shock is designed, it is paired with a specific coil with intentions with proper function. So Evo manufactured their coils, and then specifically valved a king shock to perform in unison with the said shock and thus perform properly. Then, Evo offers a 2.5 series shock with reservoir that is advertised to work as designed with that same coil. Theoretically, in order for the shock to work properly with the designed coil, both the 2.0 and 2.5 shock would have to perform very similarly. If the 2.5 was valved differently, it would need its own coil spring to work as intended.

I could be way off base, but this is what I understand. Furthermore, for the coil and shock to work properly, shouldn't the 2.5 shock with reservoir just have additional capacity for fluid to account for the additional stresses off an off road environment and not necessarily different valving?

Subjective is it.

Most of the times people read plush ride and read how soft the ride is. They then have unrealistic expectations of a what plush ride is.

It's plush compared to everything else on the market but it's still on a jeep.

The current set up rides harsher than the stock Rubicon set up. The previous RK coils, although with different (Fox) Shocks, rode superior on the street.

I have some RK 3.5 coils I can throw in here and see if that effects anything at all.

Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Doesn't the 2.5 shocks have the compression adjustment knob on the remote resevoir? Could be turned all the way up.

Just offering some minimally informed suggestions from the cheap seats.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Theoretically, in order for the shock to work properly with the designed coil, both the 2.0 and 2.5 shock would have to perform very similarly. If the 2.5 was valved differently, it would need its own coil spring to work as intended.

I disagree. The 2.5's do work exactly as intended...and so do the 2.0's. The point is that those shocks are not intended to perform the same across the board.

Jackal01

Doesn't the 2.5 shocks have the compression adjustment knob on the remote resevoir? Could be turned all the way up.

Just offering some minimally informed suggestions from the cheap seats.

I believe that is still extra. When I order my Enforcer this year I am getting the shiny knobs. ORE has them on their site, also.

Top Bottom