evo bolt on coilovers?

KernHydro

The way your going I'm surprised your going with bolt ons considering your getting Dana 60s and 40s it seems you should be getting a weld on system and a better rear coil over setup like the evo lever

Yeti-09

KernHydro said:
The way your going I'm surprised your going with bolt ons considering your getting Dana 60s and 40s it seems you should be getting a weld on system and a better rear coil over setup like the evo lever

^^^Agreed ^^^. Your planning a huge set up and awesomeness, then going bottom end on coil overs. Why didn't you pick the evolever??

KernHydro

It doesn't even have to be DTD. But at that level you don't want those rear coils the way they are. The lever would be the way.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The bolt on evo coil over kit seems like a great kit to me. Def not bottom end. The evo lever would give more ground clearance and 2.25" more travel, but I don't see why his current setup won't work just great.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've seen Rubicat in person on the trail and I fail to see how the system could be considered bottom-end. It might not be the EVO lever, but it is far from bottom-end.

DManuel

I agree. I don't think anything from EVO and King can ever be considered bottom end. Rubicat is living proof of the bolt on system effectiveness. It works. The DTD and Evolever are just a higher end set up. But, the bolt on system is definitely not a bottom end system. Nice purchase everyone. We are hoping to do the same someday.

Yeti-09

In the world of coil overs, the bolt in system is bottom end. I'm not saying that it's cheap or that it sucks. But it is not evolever. Do you have a coil over set up? Or have you just seen pics of your friends uncle that had them and they are super cool? King is the leader in coil overs, yes. Evo mfg makes some good parts, yes. But bolt on parts will always be lower performance that custom parts. Even if that difference is only 2.5" or whatever...

highoctane

Caught the Bug
In the world of coil overs, the bolt in system is bottom end. I'm not saying that it's cheap or that it sucks. But it is not evolever. Do you have a coil over set up? Or have you just seen pics of your friends uncle that had them and they are super cool? King is the leader in coil overs, yes. Evo mfg makes some good parts, yes. But bolt on parts will always be lower performance that custom parts. Even if that difference is only 2.5" or whatever...

A buddy of mine has a bolt on Evo Lever. It performs every bit as well as the welded on evo lever systems I've seen.

StrizzyChris

^^^Agreed ^^^. Your planning a huge set up and awesomeness, then going bottom end on coil overs. Why didn't you pick the evolever??

I am going 40's for the clearance and capability they add. Going 60's just to supprot the 40's. Going coilover for the obvious benefits over shock and coil.

I would love to do the lever and 14" front coilover that is in their weld on kit, but I refuse to pay someone over double to price of the parts just to do the install for me. (lever and front system will run you 5K...have that installed and your looking at approx 8-10k) Bolt on front and rears will allow you between 11.5"-12" travel and total out of pocket 3600.00

Its not the elite but it will do all that I will need it to. If not, it will retain some resale value once I upgrade in a year or two :rock:

Yeti-09

Most of you people are missing my point on bolt on and bottom end so forget it.

Why would you pay someone to install the evolever and weld on coil overs? If you don't have the skill or tools, don't you have friends that could help you out?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! i think what people are trying to say is that when it comes to coil overs, the evo bolt on kit is still WAY better than ANY other coil over kit out there else out there. if anything, the DTD is top of the line and the bolt on kit is a good runner up and the bottom end is made by other manufacturers. or, at least that's how i see it :yup:

KernHydro

So far the only thing Im not stoked on is the rear coilovers are in harms way. Not sure if this will be a problem but for chris having 40s etc the lever seems more fitting as I would imagine he is going to get into some next level $h!t that might have him doing a little backing up and thats were there could be a problem with hitting a coilover on a rock. Either way he is winning ...king is well KING

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So far the only thing Im not stoked on is the rear coilovers are in harms way. Not sure if this will be a problem but for chris having 40s etc the lever seems more fitting as I would imagine he is going to get into some next level $h!t that might have him doing a little backing up and thats were there could be a problem with hitting a coilover on a rock. Either way he is winning ...king is well KING

no question, there is no better coil over kit out there than the evo dtd. they provide ultimate performance, flex and are well protected. your concerns about the rear coil overs being in harms way is a legitamate one and, evo has done a lot to help mitigate them. this includes the use of rock stars to get the lower mounts higher up off the ground and armored up/skidded. it also includes a more vertical alignment which not only helps to keep the coils way from the rocks but, also helps to provide a better falling rate. for the price, you simply cannot get a better setup.

StrizzyChris

Why would you pay someone to install the evolever and weld on coil overs? If you don't have the skill or tools, don't you have friends that could help you out?

unfortunately....no :grayno: I dont know a single person with welding skills that could help me out...

I have met and talked to mel and a few other people, that have the means to help me, but they run a business and they dont make a living by doing free work for a peon like me. So until I meet someone willing to help a brotha out, for a case of beer and pizza, I'll be keeping it bolt-on!

With my 40's, they will help in protecting the rear coilover by it's departure angle benefits. Also i called EVO prior to placing my order, and they said there will be no complications in this application as long as I maintain stock bracketry location in my axles......only real problem I'll be having is waiting to go out and abuse them :rock:

KernHydro

the use of rock stars to get the lower mounts higher up off the ground and armored up/skidded. it also includes a more vertical alignment which not only helps to keep the coils way from the rocks but, also helps to provide a better falling rate. for the price, you simply cannot get a better setup.
This makes since had not thought about the higher mounting of the coil and it straightness . And as chris said the departure angle of the 40s is going to help as well. Have you had any close calls with the rears yet or any advice on avoiding damage?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This makes since had not thought about the higher mounting of the coil and it straightness . And as chris said the departure angle of the 40s is going to help as well. Have you had any close calls with the rears yet or any advice on avoiding damage?

we recently got back from spending 5 weeks up in tahoe where we spent just about every day there on dirt. during that time, yes, i did get myself in a jam once where i needed to back up and that meant hitting my driverside coil over with a big rock. of course, me being in this position was caused by me being stupid (trying to get twisted up on a lame obstacle just for a photo op) and, was totally avoidable. the hit caused the coil to come unseated from the lower perch but, was easily popped back in and all was good. as i said, the concern is legitamate but, picking good lines and listening to your spotter (cindy told me not to back up) will go a long way to protect your coil overs. that, or get an evo lever system :D

KernHydro

Your quite the lucky man to have a cool seasoned 4 wheeler of a wife. It blows me away to see what she can do. I couldn't believe how well she handled carnage canyon... And you too with your patients..

Top Bottom