EVO cage

JAGS

Hooked
The more I look at the side plates and lower windshield bar on this, the more I like it. I'm just not quite sold yet on the square top windshield bar and stringers headed toward the rear. I really need to see this in person to make a final decision.

If you like the rest, I think you'll like the stringers. That's the part I liked most. Not a fan of having to drill the stock cage for the header though. Four holes needed. I'd screw that up big time. The stringers also require trimming of the sound bar plastic.

JAGS

Hooked
lol what... 4wp is still run by the son of the founder and is still an american company. Some of their brands are made in china or wherever, and PS is not one of them. Why would 4wp turn PS into smittybilt when they already own smittybilt.

I mean it's true that larry wanted to cash out and retire. And in his absence it is unknown what PS will become going forward. But you could have just said that instead of this bs about china.

Either way the fenders look like crushers and the rear bumper looks like BFH. But imitation is the best form of flattery.

LMAO. Lots of words there. I stand by original statement.

Desert Crawler

Sorry i'm about to put my Nerd hate on..I think both fenders are formed using the same type of bender or similar. Actual "Rolling" steel is a different type of machine used to make a very large radius vs an actual tube bender used to make a tight radius. So with a true high quality tube bender you are actually "Rolling" the steel over the Die set. The smoothness of the radius and bend has nothing to do with the bender (unless you're using a cheap pipe bender then you'll get very noticeable shitty looking kinks in the bends). The smoothness of the radius has to due with the geometry of the design. so to get that smooth transition from radius to radius each radius should have the same center point. I'm sure both companies made their designs intentionally. I don't see anything wrong with the PS design, for being steel tubing i think it's a good design.

I didn't know PS was a china brand? Why do they say "All of our products are 3-D CAD Designed and proudly Made in the U.S.A." in their website? if for some crazy reason i wanted to drop over $1,200 for fenders i would be expecting a USA product for sure.

I will put on my nerd hate on also and correct you in saying the smoothness of the radius and bend has everything to do with the bender. Most nice cages are made with a mandrel bender (rotary draw bender). They produce nice smooth bends. A press bender (compression bender) will produce distorted bends that which cause an oval shape to the tubing. This is what you will find in most muffler shops as they are quick and easy to use. I am really liking the looks of this EVO cage in how in blends in nice with the interior. But when I do my cage it will probably be something custom as a good cage should be tied into the frame of the vehicle.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I'd need to see it in person too. Also just an FYI, the top bar may be a piece of bent plate or a preformed channel section per the photo below I saw on Instagram. Unless that was a cutaway version to show how everything is connected.

View attachment 225722

I am surprised that there are no crush sleeves going thru the factory bar. You can tell by the gap in the middle. This means you can possibly distort the tube by over compression.

JKU Arizona

I will put on my nerd hate on also and correct you in saying the smoothness of the radius and bend has everything to do with the bender. Most nice cages are made with a mandrel bender (rotary draw bender). They produce nice smooth bends. A press bender (compression bender) will produce distorted bends that which cause an oval shape to the tubing. This is what you will find in most muffler shops as they are quick and easy to use. I am really liking the looks of this EVO cage in how in blends in nice with the interior. But when I do my cage it will probably be something custom as a good cage should be tied into the frame of the vehicle.

A muffler shop would have a "pipe bender" a press bender is made for bending pipes (you could bend steel tubing but will get shitty work out of it because of the die sets. one is a outside radius and one is inside radius). pipe and tubing are different. if you're using a high quality "tube" bender you will get a nice bend from it (assuming your using the correct die set). I was more referring to the smooth transition from one radius to the next. So were-ever your radius segment ends at the tangent point the new radius starts so for that point to have a smooth transition, you're new radius segment center point needs to be on the same common tangent line as your starting radius. This is if you're connecting 2 radius segments to each other and you repeat for the 3rd radius and so on. on a cage you only have one corner bend (eaither a 90 or a 45 deg.) so there's only one tangent line.

It's kinda hard to explain without drawings diagrams and showing pictures so just take my word for it.

I don't have any experience with bending tubing but i do furniture engineering and I deal with this type of geometry fairly often. I'm pretty sure both of the metal fender companies have a jig they precisely manufactured for making their fenders.

For $649.95 (what RH want's for theirs) I wouldn't even try to build my own cage all the hard-work (engineering and planning) has already been done.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Looking at the pictures it looks like mounting brackets for the front overhead cross member will be in the way of the door surrounds for a soft top has anyone installed this yet to see if the soft top still works?

Top Bottom