EVO High Clearance Prep

JK's JK

Banned
No problem. Are you planning on the EVO CO for the front down the road?

**EDIT**

That's a next year adventure. Trying to decide on the normal bolt on front coil overs or the weld on full tower?? Reading a posting from Drew a few weeks back said they are upgradable if you go the full tower.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
**EDIT**

That's a next year adventure. Trying to decide on the normal bolt on front coil overs or the weld on full tower?? Reading a posting from Drew a few weeks back said they are upgradable if you go the full tower.

The bolt ons are NOT upgradable to DTD.

JK's JK

Banned
Are you having Evo install this ?

I'm going to have EVO install the High Clearance lift for me. I'm going to install the Bolt on CO's prior to them installing the lift and have them weld on the necessary brackets from the CO's. If I go with the front weld on CO's next year, I'll have them do that as well. If I go the cheaper route then I'll buy the bolt on and call it good. Haven't gotten to that point.

I'm going to have EVO install the High Clearance lift for me. I'm going to install the Bolt on CO's prior to them installing the lift and have them weld on the necessary brackets from the CO's. If I go with the front weld on CO's next year, I'll have them do that as well. If I go the cheaper route then I'll buy the bolt on and call it good. Haven't gotten to that point.

I am a little confused, but what's new?:doh:
So in the rear, you are either going DTD or bolt on coil overs, Correct? If you go CO, you are going to have ORE add the high clearance brackets? They will have to adjust the geometry of the brackets on the axle as well. Then you are going to have them weld all the brackets too? The High Clearance brackets will have to be added instead of the regular brackets....and then you will have to figure how to transport it to ORE.....

Here is what I did. I ordered the front and rear bolt on coil overs, added the DD bolt on long arm upgrade and added the flip kit for the front. The only thing it didn't have was the High Clearance brackets for the rear. Those have to be welded on anyway, and you have to adjust the brackets on the axle for geometry, which I didn't know what I was doing so I stuck to the bolt ons.

JK's JK

Banned
I am a little confused, but what's new?:doh:
So in the rear, you are either going DTD or bolt on coil overs, Correct? If you go CO, you are going to have ORE add the high clearance brackets? They will have to adjust the geometry of the brackets on the axle as well. Then you are going to have them weld all the brackets too? The High Clearance brackets will have to be added instead of the regular brackets....and then you will have to figure how to transport it to ORE.....

Here is what I did. I ordered the front and rear bolt on coil overs, added the DD bolt on long arm upgrade and added the flip kit for the front. The only thing it didn't have was the High Clearance brackets for the rear. Those have to be welded on anyway, and you have to adjust the brackets on the axle for geometry, which I didn't know what I was doing so I stuck to the bolt ons.

I'm a confused person as many can witness to this!!! :naw: This is my plan.:crazyeyes:

I am going to buy the bolt on rear CO kit in April and not the DTD EVO lever. Then I'm going to install the rear CO's and buy from a friend the front 4.5" coils/ shocks, adjust all the necessary adjustments on the arms (Yes so much work but I'm a confused person). Then in May or June take it over to EVO and install the High clearance lift. EVO will weld on the High clearance brackets on the frame, weld on the axle brackets and weld on the rear trac bar bracket. They will fab up a bracket just for the vertical CO's. Let me find a picture.

Rear CO.jpg Rear CO2.jpg

**EDIT**

Today I bought the Poison Spyder HD cross member which will replace the Rubicon Express aftermarket cross member and I also bought the Synergy Flip kit. I think this will cover everything I need to have the high clearance install and have no issues going to 4.5" of lift.

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Good luck with the install. If you need a resource, I would be happy to help....from afar! I know you will be happy with the end result:thumb:

All hopes and prayers are needed. :fingerscrossed: Thank you for the support and I'm very sure enough will need help from the awesome guys of WAYALIFE. You can follow my confusion under the JK's JK Rubicon Build as you posted up earlier today. :thumb:

JK's JK

Banned
Can any of you fine guys tell me what is involved in taking apart a Johnny Joint? And is there a right up?

And can anyone tell me what type of grease is used on the EVO arms? The grease that is currently there is dark gray. I do have Peak Performance - Extreme pressure moly grease that I used on my ball joints which is the same color. I also have the multipurpose red GM try of grease.

Moochie

Can any of you fine guys tell me what is involved in taking apart a Johnny Joint? And is there a right up?

And can anyone tell me what type of grease is used on the EVO arms? The grease that is currently there is dark gray. I do have Peak Performance - Extreme pressure moly grease that I used on my ball joints which is the same color. I also have the multipurpose red GM try of grease.

Why do you want to take it apart? Are there signs of damage/wear? Don't be so worried about the type of grease used.

JK's JK

Banned
Why do you want to take it apart? Are there signs of damage/wear? Don't be so worried about the type of grease used.

I just want to know what's involved taking them apart when I'm thinking about it. The rubber around the joints look good after cleaning everything up. I know I shouldn't be so worried about grease. My car maintenance skills are newer coming to all this Jeep stuff (installing, replacing, maintenance, ect.). Just want to do it right the first time. :icon_crazy:

Moochie

I just want to know what's involved taking them apart when I'm thinking about it. The rubber around the joints look good after cleaning everything up. I know I shouldn't be so worried about grease. My car maintenance skills are newer coming to all this Jeep stuff (installing, replacing, maintenance, ect.). Just want to do it right the first time. :icon_crazy:

If they are as new as you think they should be fine.

JK's JK

Banned
BTW, why did the guy you bought them from decide to get rid of them?

Wish I would have taken pictures of his Jeep but of course I didn't until after I was on the road in Bakersfield!!! So he bought the kit, changed his mind on the arms used but used the brackets. Made his own arms with Heim joints (pictures would have be great!!! :doh:). I guess he races desert vehicles and wanted to have the same type of style of ride for desert riding (I do know anything about desert riding stuff). He had the front DTD and the rear EVO lever. The steering wheel was on the passenger side and it was army green. Looked nice.

Top Bottom