EVO Hinged Carrier

fiend

Caught the Bug
I don’t have the EVO carrier, but based on the description of the problem, it looks like a spacer of some sort would resolve the issue. Perhaps some washers or 1/8” aluminum stock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

99GoldenSahara

I don’t have the EVO carrier, but based on the description of the problem, it looks like a spacer of some sort would resolve the issue. Perhaps some washers or 1/8” aluminum stock.

I got mine from Northridge and it fit perfectly, so I’d suggest as others have, to have EVO take care of the issue. Have no idea why that might have happened in production.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Me too. I’d always assumed it was intentional or meant to be this way. I’ll have to check to see if I have any deformity on the inside but don’t think I do. The carrier is only flush at the bolts furthest left and everything else is sitting off the gate.

It may be intentional. Just don’t like the deforming. Curious about yours. I followed up today and they said their tech team is looking at it. Should hear tomorrow. Let you guys know.

They called yesterday to let me know they were going to play with one on Monday to try to figure out the best fix as they didn’t like the sheet metal deforming either. Looking at shim thickness and whatnot. I looked over the whole thing and I’m not sure what might work. Running thinner shims will pull the tailgate a little closer, but then the gap between the gate and tub will increase.

To me it looks like the gentle bend in the carrier where it meets the vent area of the tailgate is a little too much...allows the left edge to hit the gate before the carrier can lay flat. But to redo that bend would require a redesign of the carrier. So I dunno...

TheGrendel

They called yesterday to let me know they were going to play with one on Monday to try to figure out the best fix as they didn’t like the sheet metal deforming either. Looking at shim thickness and whatnot. I looked over the whole thing and I’m not sure what might work. Running thinner shims will pull the tailgate a little closer, but then the gap between the gate and tub will increase.

To me it looks like the gentle bend in the carrier where it meets the vent area of the tailgate is a little too much...allows the left edge to hit the gate before the carrier can lay flat. But to redo that bend would require a redesign of the carrier. So I dunno...

So I just went and looked at mine after a day wheeling. Noticed my tire seemed to be moving a little on the ride home. Sure enough it’s loose again and I have a bit of deformation in tailgate. Not as bad as yours. But it’s there. Wonder if a bad batch went out.

I’ve had mine almost a year so would’ve been a very big batch. I agree that it seems to be that gentle bend, seems to me it meets the tailgate too much on the left side so the hinge side has the gap.

TheGrendel

I agree with you both. @thegrendel, what is loosening up? And it happens frequently?

The screws into the tailgate holes on the right. Assuming it’s because the carrier is not touching the body. But now that i see the deformation I don’t want to tighten it down.

Last edited:
The screws into the tailgate holes on the right. Assuming it’s because the carrier is touching the body. But now we the to see the deformation I don’t want to tighten it down.

So just the 2-3 screws to the right of the vent loosened up? Interesting. Were you tightening those screws down before and they loosened? And it was enough to see tire movement?

Last edited:
I actually tried putting 3 washers between the carrier and the gate where the bolts went thru. It seemed to help, but I wasnt really happy to have them there like that so I removed them for now. It looked like the outer sheet metal skin was bowed. I kinda got the since that the whole gate was twisting or something.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Yeah it sat flush and fit well. The hinge itself was very nice...the carrier though not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it sat flush cause it was cheap thin Chinese shit and got driven into place.

If your bolts are backing out, did you maybe previously over torque them with your Chinese carrier.

Maybe it sat flush cause it was cheap thin Chinese shit and got driven into place.

If your bolts are backing out, did you maybe previously over torque them with your Chinese carrier.

My bolts weren’t backing out (and I don’t see how over torquing them would cause that). Say what you will about that carrier, but the TF hinge is solid and heavy duty. Regardless I want to like the EVO carrier...it’s a very nice piece and the customer service so far has been great, but if it doesn’t fit right there’s a problem.

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
sweet. you're adding exactly zero to the discussion of a problem multiple people are having. and i'm really not sure why other than you felt like bashing his initial purchase of Teraflex.

Actually I’ve added two posts....well now three.

I added one possibility and you disagree. Either ignore my input or keep crying. I don’t care either way.

Actually I’ve added two posts....well now three.

I added one possibility and you disagree. Either ignore my input or keep crying. I don’t care either way.

So just out of curiosity, but would you do? Give some input other than remarks about cheap Chinese stuff. We are trying to talk about a fit issue on a solid USA made carrier.

Top Bottom