EVO Hinged Carrier

MericaMade

Sorry if I missed it but is this happening on the JK, JL, or both. I just installed one on my buddies JL and it went together easy and sat flush, but he said the tailgate in now drooping a little after a few hundred miles.

Yes this is on my JK. I had one bolt back out on its own (top right corner of vent) so I removed and added blue loctite to them all and have no issue with them backing out since. I do not have issues with the inside of the tailgate deforming but I did have two bolt heads shear off when doing them with the loctite so I was very careful to not overtighten. I gave it all a closer look today and also took some pictures. Sits flush to the left of vent and bottom. The spacer plates are tight to the carrier and tailgate so I don’t think the gap at that point ever goes away. But you can see closer to the vent where it isn’t flush and the issue I have at the top right immediately adjacent to the hinge. I’m curious as to what they wind up telling you. I can say for certain that as with most of their products it’s extremely solid but that the install instructions are/were clearly outdated but that’s to be expected with things being improved over time. IMG_3283.jpg IMG_3282.jpg IMG_3281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s pretty much how mine looked after tightening down. But with the inside deformation. I spent a lot of time looking at it, loosening, tightening, adjusting, etc and I just can’t see how to make it sit flush without a redesign. Smaller spacers will pull the gate closer but at the expense of the gate to tub gate...and due to the angle (the gentle bend we were talking about) on the carrier I wonder if that’s even possible. Any smaller shims and the right edge of the gate with hit the carrier. Even with the current shims, one of the joint welds contacts the sheet metal. Any less and it’ll dent it. Still waiting to hear...

IMG_1026.jpg

That’s pretty much how mine looked after tightening down. But with the inside deformation. I spent a lot of time looking at it, loosening, tightening, adjusting, etc and I just can’t see how to make it sit flush without a redesign. Smaller spacers will pull the gate closer but at the expense of the gate to tub gate...and due to the angle (the gentle bend we were talking about) on the carrier I wonder if that’s even possible. Any smaller shims and the right edge of the gate with hit the carrier. Even with the current shims, one of the joint welds contacts the sheet metal. Any less and it’ll dent it. Still waiting to hear...

View attachment 321831

Yeah I can’t remember what the back of mine looked like. Curious tho, is the inside of yours also powder coated? Mine wasn’t at all and that’s honestly my biggest gripe. I wish I had coated it or plugged the holes somehow.

Yeah I can’t remember what the back of mine looked like. Curious tho, is the inside of yours also powder coated? Mine wasn’t at all and that’s honestly my biggest gripe. I wish I had coated it or plugged the holes somehow.

Semi powder coated inside. There’s still areas with little to no coating where I can already see some rust forming...out of the box.

Last edited:
On a side note...anyone ever hear of it have this happen to them? Crawling into the back the other day to check tailgate adjustment I felt the floor give way under my knee. Sure enough the cover over the tool area broke. $200+ dealer part from what I see. Thought it was stronger than that. Geez 57283067095__D763BE6D-77F5-419D-8625-9DB193E7F14F.fullsizerender.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
On a side note...anyone ever hear of it have this happen to them? Crawling into the back the other day to check tailgate adjustment I felt the floor give way under my knee. Sure enough the cover over the tool area broke. $200+ dealer part from what I see. Thought it was stronger than that. Geez View attachment 321853

Yes, I’ve broken 2 of those in different jeeps,

TheGrendel

So I added 1 washer to each of the bolts in the top hinge plate. Added 2 washers to the top right bolt on the plate. Plus blue loctite. Really need to get some longer bolts for the hinges.

But I did multiple combinations of washers. This seemed to yield the best combo of top passenger side not bowing out from the window and solid connection of the top right plate, bolt and body.

Hopefully this solves the issues.

So I added 1 washer to each of the bolts in the top hinge plate. Added 2 washers to the top right bolt on the plate. Plus blue loctite. Really need to get some longer bolts for the hinges.

But I did multiple combinations of washers. This seemed to yield the best combo of top passenger side not bowing out from the window and solid connection of the top right plate, bolt and body.

Hopefully that works for you. I never heard from EVO this week. Called on Friday but he was already gone for the weekend. Guess I’ll try again Monday. I have it boxed back up for now.

So you added washers to both the hinge mount on the tub and the carrier? Was the issue at the top right window you resolved the same as what I showed in my picture?

USMC Wrangler

I just installed mine today and noticed some gaps. My tailgate is pretty square, used loctite and did not have any interior sheet metal deformations. My tailgate was damaged/dented when I broke the factory tire carrier last week. All of that is covered now and I’m happy with it overall. Just my 2 cents...

Glen1978

Put mine on this past weekend. It seems pretty solid. It seems that if they were to machine tubing to fit in the hinge area it would add some strength to that area. Basically what they use now just seems to keep the hinges from smashing together from bolts being tightened. I did not have any ill fitting of the carrier to the gate. Not impressed with there packaging or their powdercoat AT ALL! And that goes for the Evo Rock Stars I just installed yesterday. Shoddy packing and shoddy powdercoat.

TheGrendel

Put mine on this past weekend. It seems pretty solid. It seems that if they were to machine tubing to fit in the hinge area it would add some strength to that area. Basically what they use now just seems to keep the hinges from smashing together from bolts being tightened. I did not have any ill fitting of the carrier to the gate. Not impressed with there packaging or their powdercoat AT ALL! And that goes for the Evo Rock Stars I just installed yesterday. Shoddy packing and shoddy powdercoat.

powdercoating is easily Evo's weakest area.

Top Bottom