EVO mfg rear bolton D-Ring mounts install help

MobyJR

Two different issues I think. The frames are different from jeep to jeep. Sounds like you need to widen the frame a bit to get them to fit. A pry bar would probably do the trick. Some people have hammered them in, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Trimming them to length is more of an aesthetic thing as to whether you want them to fit flush with the end of the frame. :thumb:

Lol "wouldn't recommend" you should see what I did to mine :) I was in a hurry and in a crappy mood already from work. I ended up just grinding the frame then I found the biggest goddamn sledge hammer I've ever seen in my life and proceeded to hate-smash those SOB's into my frame. I cleaned it up with a grinder, then painted up my smash marks and chipped paint lol they look like a bag of smashed assholes but they work! I've used em about 5 times already lol

Rivertoys

Lol "wouldn't recommend" you should see what I did to mine :) I was in a hurry and in a crappy mood already from work. I ended up just grinding the frame then I found the biggest goddamn sledge hammer I've ever seen in my life and proceeded to hate-smash those SOB's into my frame. I cleaned it up with a grinder, then painted up my smash marks and chipped paint lol they look like a bag of smashed assholes but they work! I've used em about 5 times already lol

Let me take a wild guess..... you have been known to fight in bars?

MTG

Caught the Bug

LOL!

Allow me to clarify: I would never recommend it....though I do it all the time. ;)

:cheesy:

MobyJR

LOL! Function over form...every time. :thumb:

That was the logic behind almost everything I've done to this jeep lol
Neighbors thought I was insane when I parked it in the driveway with dealer plates still on it then immediately took a sawzall to the front end and ripped my back bumper off :D

AlStew

I had a question about the plate-nut for the D-ring mounts. I was having trouble tightening the plate-nut during install, I felt like I was cross threading. Are the plate-nuts supposed to be that difficult to tighten so they won't vibrate loose?
Thanks in advance!

AlStew

Every frame rail is different, looks fine to me and works perfectly.

Each nut-plate has a small notch and almost looks oval. Is this so it doesn't come loose? The wrench was getting extremely difficult to turn so I stopped.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403153133.601865.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403153143.749432.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Probably because the frame holes aren't consistent so the "overhang" is going to vary regardless.

It's really for strength on how these are built. They could very easily make these flush so you don't have to trim. But the d ring would not be as strong.

Serg5000

It's really for strength on how these are built. They could very easily make these flush so you don't have to trim. But the d ring would not be as strong.

Not sure how that makes sense.
The D-ring just floats in the rail. The pinch point is back where the bolts are holding it in place. Unless the D-ring section is welded to the rail, I'm not understanding your reasoning.

brightwhite

Every frame rail is different, looks fine to me and works perfectly.

Each nut-plate has a small notch and almost looks oval. Is this so it doesn't come loose? The wrench was getting extremely difficult to turn so I stopped.
View attachment 88058 View attachment 88059

I felt like I cross threaded mine, so yeah, I had the same feeling. Just cranked it down until I physically couldn't turn it any longer and called it a day. I've never had to use my rear for a recovery point, but if I do I'm certain it will be more than ok.

Top Bottom