EVO: Rock Skins JK Rocker Panel Protection

Spartan

If u want the best protection, run both the skins and sliders:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

The whole drilling into the body think makes me nervous, and I'm not really sure that they are needed for anything other then looks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The whole drilling into the body think makes me nervous, and I'm not really sure that they are needed for anything other then looks.

For the most part, they are more for looks than anything but, I will say that I have hit mine at the B-pillar and they did help to protect it. FWIW, Moochie doesn't run any skins and he's been fine.

Drilling into the body is hard to do but it's not as bad as you would think. After the first hole, it's all gravy :D

TheDuff

Well, they will protect ur sheet metal from rocks, your feet, trail brush, keys that angry girlfriends have in their hands, and sliders in the event that they do happen to flex into the body. The later of which is probably only going to happen if your wheeling pretty hard or pretty stupidly. So, if u don't care about the looks or the other things listed, then just don't buy any, I won't twist ur arm:)

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
I think a few of you are misunderstanding what you're seeing. Unlike the old TJ, YJ and CJ before where they essentially had hard rubber hockey puck like body mounts, the JK's come with true isolated body mounts that allow for a considerable amount of movement. This help to absorb things like road noise and provides a significantly more comfortable ride. Having said that, a good set of rocker guards that are bolted or welded to the frame rails don't so much as "flex" into the body but rather, can come into contact with it due to the considerable movement the body mounts allow for. It takes a big hit for this to happen but, the same is true of a big hit to a rear bumper. Sliders that attach to the body alone are nice and worked great on TJ's but, on a JK with it's paper thin sheet metal, I have seen where this can and will lead to buckling of the body. Sliders that attach to the body and frame don't work well either and tend to be noisy due to the fact that body mounts allow for too much movement. Of all the solutions I have tested and seen, frame mounted rocker guards are still the best option and are what I prefer to run.

This is what I was trying to figure out, Why they are needed. Sounds like a fixed object to a unfixed object my come into contact with eachother.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'll add, if the sliders are mounted to tight/high up against the body. Contact can be made. You need to leave enough room for the body to move

JAGS

Hooked
Someone had their slider flex into their rocker recently. The skin protected the body from damage. Moreover rocker skins protect from the what ifs, they are also aesthetically pleasing ;)

If u want the best protection, run both the skins and sliders:D

For the most part, they are more for looks than anything but, I will say that I have hit mine at the B-pillar and they did help to protect it. FWIW, Moochie doesn't run any skins and he's been fine.

Drilling into the body is hard to do but it's not as bad as you would think. After the first hole, it's all gravy :D

I agree with all the above points. I wouldn't consider skins a must have, but at $250, its good for the what ifs. They also add a different look immediately after install. This "look" is personal preference, but I like it and glad I installed them. :yup: I'm currently running the rubi rails and EVO skins, but do plan to install my EVO Sliders soon.

As for the skins install. Just get a group of friends together and a do a few jeeps at once. That's what I did and and it was my first real modification (other than fender trim). Seeing them drill holes into their jeep took a bit of sting off. When I tried backing out, my friends were more than happy to drill holes in my jeep. :crazyeyes: Then, when I decided to drill some myself, it was really the first drill out that was tough just as Eddie said.

IMG_3201.jpg IMG_3202.jpg

RedFox

As Jags stated above, it's tough taking the plunge when drilling that first hole, but keep in mind, drilling holes in your jeep means that your jeep is evolving!
I can understand the hesitation if you weren't in it for the long haul and someday would want to sell or trade in your jk. However, if you're like me and plan on keeping you jeep for as long as possible then drilling holes is a great first step in getting comfortable with modifying your jk to improve its performance. In the end, the choice is yours, but here's some holes I've made in my hood and the outcomes:
Holes made on my hood for PSC hood louver ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700532.347442.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700632.097138.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700670.099399.jpg
After cutting up the hood, I started doing everything else and I did it without hesitation. I cut holes in the rocker panel and rear quarter panels like a hot knife through butter

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700746.630719.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700746.630719.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 225
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700908.864301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380700908.864301.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 224

trailless

Caught the Bug
I ended up going with aluminium since I'm trying to save as much weight as possible. I haven't installed them yet but they're really, REALLY, light.

1428533506955.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jake Wilson

As Jags stated above, it's tough taking the plunge when drilling that first hole, but keep in mind, drilling holes in your jeep means that your jeep is evolving!
I can understand the hesitation if you weren't in it for the long haul and someday would want to sell or trade in your jk. However, if you're like me and plan on keeping you jeep for as long as possible then drilling holes is a great first step in getting comfortable with modifying your jk to improve its performance. In the end, the choice is yours, but here's some holes I've made in my hood and the outcomes:
Holes made on my hood for PSC hood louver View attachment 51161 View attachment 51162 View attachment 51163
After cutting up the hood, I started doing everything else and I did it without hesitation. I cut holes in the rocker panel and rear quarter panels like a hot knife through butter

How do you like that hood louver? Have you noticed your engine running cooler or is it all looks?

Top Bottom