EVO Sport Cage

Exodus 4x4

That sure makes it tough on guys like you who are running a legit business.

It is what it is. A few of them are trying but it’s usually a part time gig for them. You can’t legitimately make a business a success until you really hang your nuts out and go full time. It costs a lot, and I’m not just talking about money.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

All I can say is that there are literally over 2 million JK's that were made over an 11 year period of time. If death or serious injury from a highway rollover or intersection collision were a significant threat, I think we would have heard more about it by now. Not saying that you shouldn't get a sport cage or that one wouldn't help to improve protection, I just don't think they're as essential as so many seem to think. But then, that's just me.

Yeah no joke. If anything the c-pillar kits are probably the most realistic addition that actually adds support. I get a lot customers that want to remove the factory roll bars in favor of the GenRight cage, when they have so many other mods they could do for less money and actually improve their off-roading capabilities. Now when they reach a point in the build when there really isn’t much left to modify, and they have the money to burn, then ok let’s do it.

wjtstudios

Hooked
All I can say is that there are literally over 2 million JK's that were made over an 11 year period of time. If death or serious injury from a highway rollover or intersection collision were a significant threat, I think we would have heard more about it by now. Not saying that you shouldn't get a sport cage or that one wouldn't help to improve protection, I just don't think they're as essential as so many seem to think. But then, that's just me.

Definitely a good point

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I’m with ya. The only reason I’m looking to get one is that it’s a requirement for JKX. I’d rather stick with the EVO cage not only cause I do believe it’s the best but I like the look the best as well. Form and Function!

Anyone else interested in getting one? Maybe if we did a group buy we can get Exodus Jeeps to get a few orders in which may influence the to make a few? Am I being too stubborn?

Exodus 4x4

Anyone else interested in getting one? Maybe if we did a group buy we can get Exodus Jeeps to get a few orders in which may influence the to make a few? Am I being too stubborn?

It won’t happen. Well, maybe if you ordered about 100 they might. I suspect there are also some other concerns about the cage that halted production, and honestly don’t think you’ll ever see it again.

JKbrick

I loved my old OR-Fab cage in my ‘09. It tied into the floor and the dash bar sat nice and low. The RH looks cool but causes some visibility issues for me; I’ve heard the PS squeaks like a mouse and it doesn’t tie into the windshield frame which sucks in my opinion.

That’s too bad about the EVO cage. I haven’t actually seen one in person but the visibility in Eddie’s pics looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bubba suggested I tie mine into the windshield frame
IMG_2420.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yeah no joke. If anything the c-pillar kits are probably the most realistic addition that actually adds support. ....

That's all I ended up putting in my 2015 and I will likely do the same with my 2017. If nothing else, I think it makes the Jeep look better when the top and doors are off. :cheesy::thumb:

bouche03

I was always curious what happened to the EVO cage. Aside from the obvious reasons stated, would it be possible there were liability issues with them manufacturing a mod that altered the factory safety features?

I was always curious what happened to the EVO cage. Aside from the obvious reasons stated, would it be possible there were liability issues with them manufacturing a mod that altered the factory safety features?

Uh....if that was the case then the other companies would be having the same issue so I think that’s a question that answers itself

jeeeep

Hooked
I like the RH sport cage in my JK, but I seem to hit my head on the center section too often.

I've got foam and padding to put over it but still thinking I may have it narrowed a bit.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Well I guess that settles it. Gonna order the Rock Hard kit. Bummer, guess I shouldn't have waited so long.

Well I guess that settles it. Gonna order the Rock Hard kit. Bummer, guess I shouldn't have waited so long.

I really think you’ll be happy with it. Some hints that will helpfully help you with the install:

Out of the (close to a dozen) RH kits I’ve installed every single one has a tight fit on the collars. So if you have it powder coated you’ll likely run into an issue with the thickness of the powder coating being too thick causing fitment issue. This isn’t RH’s fault. But it is something that MAY cause you a bit of a headache.

Also, they will supply a Tap for the threads in the collars but unless things have changed in the last few months, they don’t include one for the threads on the A-pillar where it bolts into the body of the Jeep. So you’ll want to go buy one if you don’t have one already. Also, the holes you have to drill into the Jeep are hard to get exactly lined up so take super extra time making sure it’s where you need it.

Don’t be afraid to go an extra size up on the holes you’re drilling because you can use a washer if needed. That will help get things lined up so you can snug it all down.

On my 2014 for whatever reason, on my factory roll cage just back from the windshield there were two circular welds that protruded roughly 3/8’s of an inch which was enough to make the upper windshield bar not want to slide forward. So I had to grind them off. I’ve only had one other Jeep have that issue. The others didn’t have them.

One last thing, I’ve broken two windshields installing them. When you install the kit for fitment prior to powder coating, when you remove the dash bar as you’re taking it back apart, if you completely remove the bolts from the collar only on one side, it will put some forward tension on the bar and when you remove the A-pilar piece, the dash bar can snap forward and hit the windshield. So loosen all the collar bolts on both sides to avoid that. I’m 100% positive that was my rookie mistake but wanted to pass that along.

Depending on scheduling and logistics, I might be down in the SoCal area off and on for the next month or so. I’d be happy to make the trip over and help you if needed. If you run into any other weirdness or have questions I’m happy to help over text or the phone or whatever. Just PM me and I’ll shoot you my number.

Last edited:
Top Bottom