EVO Sport Cage

Exodus 4x4

Well I guess that settles it. Gonna order the Rock Hard kit. Bummer, guess I shouldn't have waited so long.

I really think you’ll be happy with it. Some hints that will helpfully help you with the install:

Out of the (close to a dozen) RH kits I’ve installed every single one has a tight fit on the collars. So if you have it powder coated you’ll likely run into an issue with the thickness of the powder coating being too thick causing fitment issue. This isn’t RH’s fault. But it is something that MAY cause you a bit of a headache.

Also, they will supply a Tap for the threads in the collars but unless things have changed in the last few months, they don’t include one for the threads on the A-pillar where it bolts into the body of the Jeep. So you’ll want to go buy one if you don’t have one already. Also, the holes you have to drill into the Jeep are hard to get exactly lined up so take super extra time making sure it’s where you need it.

Don’t be afraid to go an extra size up on the holes you’re drilling because you can use a washer if needed. That will help get things lined up so you can snug it all down.

On my 2014 for whatever reason, on my factory roll cage just back from the windshield there were two circular welds that protruded roughly 3/8’s of an inch which was enough to make the upper windshield bar not want to slide forward. So I had to grind them off. I’ve only had one other Jeep have that issue. The others didn’t have them.

One last thing, I’ve broken two windshields installing them. When you install the kit for fitment prior to powder coating, when you remove the dash bar as you’re taking it back apart, if you completely remove the bolts from the collar only on one side, it will put some forward tension on the bar and when you remove the A-pilar piece, the dash bar can snap forward and hit the windshield. So loosen all the collar bolts on both sides to avoid that. I’m 100% positive that was my rookie mistake but wanted to pass that along.

Depending on scheduling and logistics, I might be down in the SoCal area off and on for the next month or so. I’d be happy to make the trip over and help you if needed. If you run into any other weirdness or have questions I’m happy to help over text or the phone or whatever. Just PM me and I’ll shoot you my number.

This is all good info. My advice it to take the tap they give you, throw it in the trash, and buy a high quality tap. The one they include is extremely brittle and typically breaks off in the part. Thread lube is also a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

This is all good info. My advice it to take the tap they give you, throw it in the trash, and buy a high quality tap. The one they include is extremely brittle and typically breaks off in the part. Thread lube is also a good idea.

I think they shopped at Harbor Freight for the tap they send.

Ddays

Hooked

I think they shopped at Harbor Freight for the tap they send.

The taps they send WISH they came from harbor fright. (Yes that was intentional) I’m pretty sure they just cork screw a 10 penny nail and call it a tap.

My complaint is why in the fuck do they even need to send a tap in the first place? This is the only product I've installed on my Jeep that REQUIRED all of the bolt hole threads to be chased :rolleyes2:

EDIT: Actually, this is the only product in general I think I've ever bought that required chasing the threads...
Great product, just don't understand the shitty thread tappings

Last edited:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
My complaint is why in the fuck do they even need to send a tap in the first place? This is the only product I've installed on my Jeep that REQUIRED all of the bolt hole threads to be chased :rolleyes2:

EDIT: Actually, this is the only product in general I think I've ever bought that required chasing the threads...
You would think it wouldn't have issues like that for the money. I can see this will be a headache to install, put further down the list now.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

You would think it wouldn't have issues like that for the money. I can see this will be a headache to install, put further down the list now.

It’s not because of the threads not being cut properly, it’s because when you paint/powder coat it often times the threads get overspray in them which can make threading the bolts in a major PITA. So you chase them with a tap so you don’t have that issue.

Ddays

Hooked
It’s not because of the threads not being cut properly, it’s because when you paint/powder coat it often times the threads get overspray in them which can make threading the bolts in a major PITA. So you chase them with a tap so you don’t have that issue.

Mine were stupid tight when I did the pre-fit before I painted it. Every allen screw screeched like a mofo when I tried to install them. I would say their taps suck.

Still, I wouldn't let that dissuade me from installing it - It's just something to take note of before you start the install & have a good quality tap on-hand to make the job a ton easier

Last edited:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Cool, most likely I would just paint the cage, and I would be cautious about the threaded areas.

Braxtonsag

i like my rock hard cage, dont really think ill ever need it but if i do its there and looks pretty :idontknow:

just be careful rotating in the a pillar bars. i scratched the fugg out of my dash above the vent because it was such a tight squeeze.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
A thoughtful powercoater or painter will plug the holes for you. You’ll still probably want to chase the threads though.

When I had my Evo pro bumper powder coated .. we specifically discussed taping up all the bolts .

Came back to see they taped just the thread but left the bolt heads exposed . Numb nuts . Made for a fun install .

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The only reason I chased my holes in my RH cage was because I had it powder coated. During the test fit all the holes were fine and didn’t need to be chased. Maybe they provide it due to knowing people will paint the cage.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The only reason I chased my holes in my RH cage was because I had it powder coated. During the test fit all the holes were fine and didn’t need to be chased. Maybe they provide it due to knowing people will paint the cage.

That’s the exact reason and I appreciate that they provide it. I just put the tap in a drill and went through every hole. Takes maybe 10 minutes to ensure a smooth install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom