EVO: The lift options

ChaosNein

Because the high clearance kit removes and replaces the lower rear brackets that hang down from the axle. Those brackets are used for the lower control arm as well as the shock mounting. With a coilover system like EVOLever, the shock mount is no longer needed and the EVO high clearance kit allows the lower control arm to be positioned higher on the axle, thus high clearance.

This is a good explanation. Sorry I must have missed this question being asked.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
What it looks like to me a tab just needs to be welded back on for you rear sway bar link. I dont see where they would need to remove the spring portion.

I don't think anyone mentioned the coil. The coil bracket is removed to make way for the EVOLever which you CAN see in the first picture.

JK's JK

Banned
I don't think anyone mentioned the coil. The coil bracket is removed to make way for the EVOLever which you CAN see in the first picture.

I do want to say thank you for clearifying this information with me :thumb::yup:

However, If you weld on a tab for the swaybar and keep the coil brackets then you would be able to buy the High clearance lift, install the lift and wait on the coil overs. What I'm getting at is not having to spend a extra 3k on something you could buy in the beginning and then I can wait until next year to buy the coil overs. I might be looking at this all wrong and there are other pieces to the pie.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I do want to say thank you for clearifying this information with me :thumb::yup:

However, If you weld on a tab for the swaybar and keep the coil brackets then you would be able to buy the High clearance lift, install the lift and wait on the coil overs. What I'm getting at is not having to spend a extra 3k on something you could buy in the beginning and then I can wait until next year to buy the coil overs. I might be looking at this all wrong and there are other pieces to the pie.

You'd be missing shocks.

JK's JK

Banned
You'd be missing shocks.

Would that be front and rear or just rear? I could see a work around on this....:doh::shock: Just think. You spend 2300 on a long arm kit and then you go around and spend another 2300 on another long longer arm kit. Just doesnt make any sense to me. Just buy the one that will get you what you want and make a few brackets and cut them all off once you switch. Am I wrong or still crazy :thinking:

JK's JK

Banned
From the back, comparing the OEM mount to the high clearance mounts.
View attachment 63339

In this photo you could modify the orignal bracket and weld it back onto the flat part of the steel that they welded onto the axle. Or use the EVO rock star brackets and make a short little tab hanging down which will hold the sway bar and shock.

JK12

Ok I'm confused. So Eddie runs the Extreme high clearance on Rubicat but he runs bolt on coilovers. So with the bracket cut off and no where to put the coilovers mount aka the rock star mount where do they mount up at?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Ok I'm confused. So Eddie runs the Extreme high clearance on Rubicat but he runs bolt on coilovers. So with the bracket cut off and no where to put the coilovers mount aka the rock star mount where do they mount up at?

Evo makes custom brackets for the bolt on coilovers. They do not use rockstars

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Would that be front and rear or just rear? I could see a work around on this....:doh::shock: Just think. You spend 2300 on a long arm kit and then you go around and spend another 2300 on another long longer arm kit. Just doesnt make any sense to me. Just buy the one that will get you what you want and make a few brackets and cut them all off once you switch. Am I wrong or still crazy :thinking:

You can not run it, you will not get any wheel travel with the high clearance kit and coils and shocks.

The cheapest and best route would be to save for both coilovers and the high clearance kit, next best thing would be the double d upgrade.

After that it would be to install the rear high clearance brackets, and axle brackets. The arms and front brackets are the same for both kits

JK's JK

Banned
Evo makes custom brackets for the bolt on coilovers. They do not use rockstars

You can not run it, you will not get any wheel travel with the high clearance kit and coils and shocks.

The cheapest and best route would be to save for both coilovers and the high clearance kit, next best thing would be the double d upgrade.

After that it would be to install the rear high clearance brackets, and axle brackets. The arms and front brackets are the same for both kits

Maybe I saying this all wrong. My my purpose is not to gain more clearance, it's to not have to buy two lifts if they already provide arms, brackets and the necessary hardware needed as the first setup.

So the front is the same no matter what you do if you use the DD or the High clearance long arm kit right?

The rear is where we are having the issue. From the pictures posted the rear bracket is cut off for the sway bar, shock and track bar. A new bracket is placed onto the rear axle and a flat looking plate raps around the axle for strength on the control arm. If you take the stock bracket that was cut off, modify the bracket and buy the rock star evo set-up which contains all the mounting for shocks and sway bar. I would not be using coil overs until next year for the rear. Have the High clearance lift with a minimal modification to be able to cut off the brackets to support the shocks. This would prevent having to wait, buy two lifts and spend more money then needed. When your ready for coil overs then cut off the modified stuff from the welded on flat bracket on the axle and call if good. I really hope I explained this better. I do however plan on calling EVO again tomorrow to figure this out better.

Last edited:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Maybe I saying this all wrong. My my purpose is not to gain more clearance, it's to not have to buy two lifts if they already provide arms, brackets and the necessary hardware needed as the first setup.

So why is it you want the high clearance kit then? I think you need to answer that question. Sounds like the doubleD is what you need and coilover ready....but maybe I'm missing something...

JK's JK

Banned
So why is it you want the high clearance kit then? I think you need to answer that question. Sounds like the doubleD is what you need and coilover ready....but maybe I'm missing something...

The reason why I want to go high clearance because Double D is like second best to High Clearance (Looking good factor :brows:) When you go coil overs it sounds like you need to cut off the brackets anyways and if your already more than half way there when you can skip a step.

Double D - provided brackets, arms and associated material
High clearance - provided brackets, arms, associated material with a little modifications.

Both ready for Coil overs. Isn't one better than the other? :rock:

Sc741

If you are doing the work yourself, just do it and be done with it. Anything can be done if you have the time, patience and know how. If you are asking EVO to do it"s most likely not ever going to happen. They will not one off for you.

My opinion yes, what you are saying can be done. Just do it. "Yourself".

StrizzyChris

I can tell you for a fact that they will do a one off for you, if they do the install for you. You just have to pay for their time. :yup:

My question is why couldn't someone do high clearance at the frame side and stock configuration at the axle? Would the control arms contact the frame?

JK's JK

Banned
I can tell you for a fact that they will do a one off for you, if they do the install for you. You just have to pay for their time. :yup:

My question is why couldn't someone do high clearance at the frame side and stock configuration at the axle? Would the control arms contact the frame?

I didn't even think of this. I think it might not work since the arms are larger then the stock brackets.

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Chris you can, it's called the DoubleD long arm kit. The only difference between the doubleD kit and the high clearance kit is the rear axle bracketry change. I suspect if you talk to ORE you could easily order just those lower brackets at the time you're ready to go Coilovers.

I didn't even think of this. I think it might not work since the arms are larger then the stock brackets.

See above response to Chris.

StrizzyChris

Chris you can, it's called the DoubleD long arm kit. The only difference between the doubleD kit and the high clearance kit is the rear axle bracketry change. I suspect if you talk to ORE you could easily order just those lower brackets at the time you're ready to go Coilovers.

I know all about the doubleD kit. It has frame side brackets that hang down compared to the high clearance which has the brackets welded along the side of the rear frame and no clearance lost. My question was if those brackets could be coupled with the stock rear axle brackets rather than the high clearance axle brackets that require you to run coilovers.

ChaosNein

When running BOLT-ON Coil-Overs with the HIGH CLEARANCE Long Arm Kit, a CUSTOM Bracket is made for the REAR and The EVO Rock Stars ARE NOT USED.

It should be noted that these kits are made to be able to sold / shipped and installed all over. ORE can and will custom fabricate different things to allow our customers to run different set-ups.

Top Bottom