Evo Tire Carrier

jhires

I've been thinking about the Evo tire carrier and the possibility of rotopax as well. I've not seen the carrier in person, but from looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to locate a rotopax bracket to the supports that are to the left and right of the tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking about the Evo tire carrier and the possibility of rotopax as well. I've not seen the carrier in person, but from looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to locate a rotopax bracket to the supports that are to the left and right of the tire.

Yup, been thinking about this as a possibility as well :yup:

epiccosmo

Incorrect, the brackets are bolted on with bolts through the skins and tub.

Wow, didn't realize this. Just thought it was the skin. How does all of that work? Drill straight through both metals and then what? Is there any kind of spacer between the skin and the tub before tightening everything down?

It would be really great if you guys had install instructions on the website. Would probably help people make decisions. I was thinking I could do this install myself but I am now concerned that its not possible. We talked skin install before but I didn't realize the carrier was more than just skin attached.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wow, didn't realize this. Just thought it was the skin. How does all of that work? Drill straight through both metals and then what? Is there any kind of spacer between the skin and the tub before tightening everything down?

It would be really great if you guys had install instructions on the website. Would probably help people make decisions. I was thinking I could do this install myself but I am now concerned that its not possible. We talked skin install before but I didn't realize the carrier was more than just skin attached.

The carrier attaches to the skins by bolts on one side and pins on the other. Lots of guys do it themselves. MTG, piginajeep are the first two that come to mind. Piginajeep did his half in the bag with his wife if I remember correctly.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

The skins attach with nutserts, the carrier brackets then are aligned off a hole on the skin. You then drill through the skins and the tub. Install the bolts with nuts on the side of the tub.

No spacers, it's a sandwich of metal that makes the carrier strong. If your timid with the install take it to the dealer of Evo or better yet Offroad Evolution.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The carrier attaches to the skins by bolts on one side and pins on the other. Lots of guys do it themselves. MTG, piginajeep are the first two that come to mind. Piginajeep did his half in the bag with his wife if I remember correctly.

I had a couple but was not trashed 🙊

Heholua

Thanks for posting that up but, I'm not wanting to do it quite like that. I was hoping to mount the rotopax vertically.

You could mount the double carrier vertically and use the EVO plate or tubing to mount the carrier:idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There really isn't enough room for a vertical one between the tire and the gate? Like in between the bump stops and the tire.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was talking about mounting it vertical like the guy did in the links I posted.

My question was to Eddie. I know what you were saying. He said earlier in the thread there wasn't enough room and I really thought there would be enough to mount one can there.

Heholua

My question was to Eddie. I know what you were saying. He said earlier in the thread there wasn't enough room and I really thought there would be enough to mount one can there.

OK sorry about that. There could be room if there was enough adjustment with the JJ to push the carrier further away from the tailgate. Not having the carrier, its hard to tell if it's possible.

MTG

Caught the Bug
There really isn't enough room for a vertical one between the tire and the gate? Like in between the bump stops and the tire.

There is not enough room.

OK sorry about that. There could be room if there was enough adjustment with the JJ to push the carrier further away from the tailgate. Not having the carrier, its hard to tell if it's possible.

I don't see how it would be possible to back them out enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So it's clear, there is NOT enough room between the tire and tail gate. What I'm hoping to do is try and install a 4 gal rotopax vertically on the outside where the license plate goes and then figure out a way to attach the license plate to it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So it's clear, there is NOT enough room between the tire and tail gate. What I'm hoping to do is try and install a 4 gal rotopax vertically on the outside where the license plate goes and then figure out a way to attach the license plate to it.

Don't use the mounts moochie had. :cheesy:

Kidding.

Top Bottom