Exhaust advise.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Interested in this too.

Know there are a number of other threads out there and it's about as subjective as lift/coils but I would like to get rid of a little weight in the ass end and that big rock magnet stock muffler with a pre axle set up. I was all set to get the Dyno Evo but keep hearing others say how loud it can be and haven't been able to hear one in person.

Does the extended pipe of the "rock crawler" make a difference with a little quieter drive?

Not sure if you have state inspections or not, but that's something to pay attention to also. Here in MO, you must have a tailpipe that exits from under the body. The evolution wouldn't work for me. I'm running stock at the moment.

Sc741

Interested in this too. Know there are a number of other threads out there and it's about as subjective as lift/coils but I would like to get rid of a little weight in the ass end and that big rock magnet stock muffler with a pre axle set up. I was all set to get the Dyno Evo but keep hearing others say how loud it can be and haven't been able to hear one in person. Does the extended pipe of the "rock crawler" make a difference with a little quieter drive?

I just installed the EVO kit and it is loud and drony! Going to replace it for a daily driver.

Sc741

Well my exhaust was very loose at the header pipe. It is much quieter now but still load and deep considering it is dumping in front of the rear axle. Not nearly as obnoxious as it was before. Still may try one of their quieter mufflers.

Interested in this too.

Know there are a number of other threads out there and it's about as subjective as lift/coils but I would like to get rid of a little weight in the ass end and that big rock magnet stock muffler with a pre axle set up. I was all set to get the Dyno Evo but keep hearing others say how loud it can be and haven't been able to hear one in person.

Does the extended pipe of the "rock crawler" make a difference with a little quieter drive?

Yes this will tone it down more. On my 3.6 JKU I drove from KOH to and from home (CO) with this system, each way close to 20+ hours on my trip out and back. The exhaust tone was the least of my concerns.... blizzards were. I can hear it, I can also slow down or speed up and still be right at or above the speed limit. :)

Sc741

I am aware of the warranty. I am going to end up trying the Super Turbo and see if it tones it down and quiets it up. I just need to get under it and take some measurements to make sure it will fit. I didn't buy it for the sound, I bought it because of suspension setup going in the rear. Not many choices for exhaust set up. It may also be louder on a 3.8 as well?

The Competition Evolution set up is VERY nice and very easy to install though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the dynomax rock crawler exhaust. I LOVE the sound! It's a little loud but I don't mind cause my
Mud grapplers over power it at highway speeds lol

Here is what it sounds like
http://youtu.be/GfneHNd2Cvs

Sent from my iPhone

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the dynomax rock crawler exhaust. I LOVE the sound! It's a little loud but I don't mind cause my
Mud grapplers over power it at highway speeds lol

Here is what it sounds like
http://youtu.be/GfneHNd2Cvs

Sent from my iPhone

Im not sure If I am used to my system by now, but I don't feel its as loud as it was, unless I really get on the skinny pedal and go "fast". You can deffinitly hear it over trail grapplers, which I have never really noticed on road, even door less, super quiet tire for sure. My stock rubi tires were louder.

jkmohican

I have the Dynomax Evolution setup and its great. Its a medium rumble, and doesnt sound like a ricer or straight pipe. Has a very uniformed but loud throttle sound and honestly, even though its only a v6, it gives me the same goose bumps a loud v8 does when reeving high and hearing the thing rumble down the ramp and almost full throttle. Even though its gonna take me a couple minutes to hit 70 :D Over all, yes its loud but it matches the way the jeep looks and accents the tire sound nicely as well as the clearance is great. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

What would be a usable configuration for the SuperTurbo muffler with the EVO DTD rear suspension? I would like to try that setup.

So P/N 17692 is a side/side in/out. It is an oval so it will take a few bends to get it to fit. Much easier with a round. :)

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
This is a great thread. I have been considering the EVO exhaust in preparation for upgrading my current setup for the the EVO DTD Rear suspension as well. Other than rock clearnce, there is a actual mechanical need to keep the rear cavity empty. Though my JK isnt a daily driver, I have a hard time convincing myself and my fiancee that the JK needs to be loud when it truly will NEVER be a performance rig....I know its a V6 making substandard power. I am sitll considering the dynomax EVO exhaust but know beyond a resonable doubt that I will need to modify it. Options are to weld in the stock resonator. Has anyone else tried this? Does it scavange enough exhuast energy to reduce the noise level from a "5-6" to a 3-4? What about the dynomax bullet mufflers? Will one of those in leiu of the factory resonator help? What about buying a VT muffler and somehow turning it on an angle to shoehorn it in? Seems that this is a common request on ALL the forums and there would be a market for a packaged system that addresses this need.

Bullets should/would be used as a resonator. They are LOUD in general. Think ULTRA4 racing and tight spacing. They won't scavenge as mush as the stock resonator.
A VT in front of the axle (IMO) sounds off, imagine a "pfft" sound. Now in the stock location it sounds and works perfectly.
Matt

This is a great thread. I have been considering the EVO exhaust in preparation for upgrading my current setup for the the EVO DTD Rear suspension as well. Other than rock clearnce, there is a actual mechanical need to keep the rear cavity empty. Though my JK isnt a daily driver, I have a hard time convincing myself and my fiancee that the JK needs to be loud when it truly will NEVER be a performance rig....I know its a V6 making substandard power. I am sitll considering the dynomax EVO exhaust but know beyond a resonable doubt that I will need to modify it. Options are to weld in the stock resonator. Has anyone else tried this? Does it scavange enough exhuast energy to reduce the noise level from a "5-6" to a 3-4? What about the dynomax bullet mufflers? Will one of those in leiu of the factory resonator help? What about buying a VT muffler and somehow turning it on an angle to shoehorn it in? Seems that this is a common request on ALL the forums and there would be a market for a packaged system that addresses this need.

Sc741

Could't find it on your site. Could it be P/N 17629? Also, would this set up become a complete custom exhaust where I have to fab up the configuration or could I purchase all of the components from DynoMax?

So P/N 17692 is a side/side in/out. It is an oval so it will take a few bends to get it to fit. Much easier with a round. :)

Super Turbo 17692 2.5" I/O. 17.5" overall
Super Turbo 17734 2.5" I/O 18.5" overall

And check these links out. :)

http://www.dynomax.com/accessories/builder-parts-speciality-parts/

This has all our bends and clamps> :)

http://www.dynomax.com/accessories/race-accessories/

(This one you probably don't need to use)

Could't find it on your site. Could it be P/N 17629? Also, would this set up become a complete custom exhaust where I have to fab up the configuration or could I purchase all of the components from DynoMax?

Devallee

Super Turbo 17692 2.5" I/O. 17.5" overall Super Turbo 17734 2.5" I/O 18.5" overall And check these links out. :) http://www.dynomax.com/accessories/builder-parts-speciality-parts/ This has all our bends and clamps> :) http://www.dynomax.com/accessories/race-accessories/ (This one you probably don't need to use)
So the bullet can be used as a muffler or a resonator? What is the sound level on those if put in the jk? Is this your loudest muffler? I'm very interested

Last edited:
So the bullet can be used as a muffler or a resonator? What is the sound level on those if put in the jk? Is this your loudest muffler? I'm very interested

Correct either or.
It is loud, I had a friend run it and it didn't bother him at all. FYI A Race Bullet ( in general is only a few dB's below open headers.)

A Race Bullet on a 4 door 3.8 pictured below.

RaceBullet_JK_zps9f213e25.jpg

Top Bottom