Expensive bumpers worth it?

J

JKDream

That being said, have a friend with an aluminum Savvy bumper, he had a solenoid short on his winch and it pulled his bumper in on itself pretty bad, but as soon as he got the winch to release it went right back to the way it was...

That's interesting. I usually like just pure beef strength on products but I've never really messed with aluminum.
I wonder if aluminum would actually cause less damage in the event of a hard hit/crash.
Say you smacked a tree REALLY hard, would aluminum slow the impact down by having some give versus steel?
Since it's attached to your frame, obviously that impact is transferred directly into it, which in that case I'd rather have a bumper bend versus a frame.

Ddays

Hooked
Aluminum is obviously quite a bit softer, but is supposed to "bend back" after it takes a hit.

I've read this somewhere else regarding a tie rod with an inner core of aluminum that's supposed to do this IIRC. Unless there's someone on here that can explain how on earth a metal can bend back by itself once its stressed I'm calling bullshit on that one. EVERY time I've bent a piece of metal it's stayed bent.

Robertcrav

I've read this somewhere else regarding a tie rod with an inner core of aluminum that's supposed to do this IIRC. Unless there's someone on here that can explain how on earth a metal can bend back by itself once its stressed I'm calling bullshit on that one. EVERY time I've bent a piece of metal it's stayed bent.
Coil springs, leaf springs....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
for what its worth...

I have set the weight of the jeep on LODs skid plate paired with the signature series shorty front bumper while wheeling more than once.... and had the jeep sitting on just the roller fair lead on one occasion... here is what it looks like since the last time out wheeling *before touching up the paint

DSC_0862.jpg

IMO, I'm not "Hard" on the throttle when wheeling, but I do take the challenging lines and use my equipment to the max of my ability. Take from that what you will, but I would not hesitate to purchase the quarter pounder or the LOD. IMO they are apples to apples as far as protection goes. My sole reason for going with LOD was appearance (I Showed both options to the wife and let her choose) :thumb:

J

JKDream

Same here, especially with a tie rod. If it "bends back" but is still out by even 1/4 inch you start chewing up tires.
Sounds retarded.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
LOD is 1/4" steel and about as thick/durable as any bumper made. Most use 3/8" steel btw. I have a LOD rear bumper and it would take a tank to bend that thing.

Genright makes nice alum parts and this is more directed at those looking to lighten the F/R/side weight distribution more than anything. Also high quality (and can be run bare since it's alum and won't rust, if you prefer the metal look).
Yeah I didn't realize it was that thick and I didn't realize anybody made stuff 3/8 thick! That is some serious beef! You're right it would take a tank to bend that damn thing.... holy crap! I love the aluminum look and I am sure they are very sturdy. Yeah I know you can start getting too much weight which is why they make them I just would still be leery of how strong they could be. Thank you for the information though!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

Yeah I didn't realize it was that thick and I didn't realize anybody made stuff 3/8 thick! That is some serious beef! You're right it would take a tank to bend that damn thing.... holy crap! I love the aluminum look and I am sure they are very sturdy. Yeah I know you can start getting too much weight which is why they make them I just would still be leery of how strong they could be. Thank you for the information though!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fairly certain he meant 3/16, not 3/8

Pursesnatcher

There's quite a price difference between bumpers out there, even among quality brands.

I'd love to have the GenRight bumper. But would I be happier with a quarter pounder and an ARB Compressor for the same amount?

This is meant as a general question but I have looked at those 3 specific bumpers.

Sub'd -- asking myself this question right about now.

I know you were on the JCR Mid-width for a while, and are selling to move to a stubby. I'm leaning toward the 1/4 EVO my self, but wishing they made a bull bar as an alternative to the stinger! I like the look of the LoD, but the new destroyer series kind of turns me off. It's all personal preference at the day. I'm glad you opened this can of worms, looking forward to see where it takes your build!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Sub'd -- asking myself this question right about now.

I know you were on the JCR Mid-width for a while, and are selling to move to a stubby. I'm leaning toward the 1/4 EVO my self, but wishing they made a bull bar as an alternative to the stinger! I like the look of the LoD, but the new destroyer series kind of turns me off. It's all personal preference at the day. I'm glad you opened this can of worms, looking forward to see where it takes your build!

Have you seen the 1/4 Pounder with the Pure Jeep bar? It might be the look you are looking for.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

Yep :D I was just pulling the quote :clap2:

LOL!! I was just looking for pics to post up when I saw this. Oh well, here are a few pics of the PUREJEEP bull bar with the Quarter Pounder just in case anyone was interested.

main.php

main.php

A great setup and one I kind of miss.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
for what its worth...

I have set the weight of the jeep on LODs skid plate paired with the signature series shorty front bumper while wheeling more than once.... and had the jeep sitting on just the roller fair lead on one occasion... here is what it looks like since the last time out wheeling *before touching up the paint

View attachment 259310

IMO, I'm not "Hard" on the throttle when wheeling, but I do take the challenging lines and use my equipment to the max of my ability. Take from that what you will, but I would not hesitate to purchase the quarter pounder or the LOD. IMO they are apples to apples as far as protection goes. My sole reason for going with LOD was appearance (I Showed both options to the wife and let her choose) :thumb:

I've seen this bumper. It's gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug

This conversation reminds me of my motocross days. When I bought my 1990 YZ 250, back in the day, it came with steel handle bars which got badly bent the first time I dumped it. Shortly thereafter I bought after market aluminum bars and never bent them. The point is that any material will bend and stay deformed if taken past the yield point.

Some aluminum has 1/2 the strength of some steels and approximately 1/3the weight. Using that as a guild shows that aluminum that is 3 times thicker, but the same weight as steel, should have an increased yield by 50% in theory, if the application allows.

In the case of my handle bars, the steel ones had a tube thickness of around 1/16" or so. The aluminum bars were around 3/16" thick and about the same weight, but were probably around 50% stronger.

A disadvantage of aluminum is that once the material is pushed past yield, it loses a lot more strength when brought back. Steel is more forgiving in this respect.

As far as the aluminum core tie rod; sounds like bs to me, but I would be interested in seeing some testing on it compared to others.

Top Bottom