Expensive stereo system upgrade?

el_chupo_

To each their own, but I have done installs from components, head unit, amp, and sub in my first XJ, up to fully integrated with OEM dash and factory amp in my BMW (holy expensive pain in the rear), to replacing absolutely everything involved in several other cars (down to gutting the car for the install). The single biggest factor is absolutely not the components or money spent, but rather the install and listening environment, and how well you can tune the system. And that is where the JK falls very short. It needs some CLD damping, a good isolation layer, and a good barrier layer to even start with sound quality. Beyond this, the entire vehicle is a hard surface that will cause reflections, it has a large amount of wind noise (not related to any of the things you can actually correct), the roof is close to impossible to help and keep functional, and a soft top leaves you no way for improvements. You will notice improvements more in a JK than you might in a nice car, but it takes a lot of work, weight, and diminishing retuns to get it to sound good, IMO.

Have you ever heard a ski/wakeboard boat with a "$5k" stereo upgrade? Ever notice that it is loud, and sometimes clear, but rarely actually sounds good, and it gets annoying to listen to pretty fast if you are just chilling on the boat? It is not hard to get better sound with $500 worth of gear in a bedroom, and be louder, more clear, and a better listening experience without ear fatigue. Just the nature of the environment. If you roll with the top down, then getting some volume and clarity are the difference in having music, or hearing some jumbled crap in the back ground, but do not mistake louder for better, in all situations.

You would probably see some gains with better speakers, an amp, maybe an upgraded sub (but the enclosure is a weak point as well). I dont know if I would do much more than that, for both security, and improvements could be lacking vs dollars spent, unless you are a top on, windows up, kind of driver.

Also note, I am a big fan of integrated designs and hate having a big sub box taking away the usefulness of a vehicle, or seeing other components. Hidden = well installed, for me, and that is usually a bit more expensive.

I wish I had all the money I have spent on audio gear over the last 12 years or so... But it did make commutes and trips a heck of a lot better.

As with everything, value is subjective to your needs, and YMMV.

Last edited:

UpsideUp

Thanks for the links Dave. Both sides of the spectrum. Utiadam build is ridiculously cool. I wonder how that sounds? Way more money than I wanted to invest but I bet the sound is amazing! I'm hoping one wouldn't have to Dynamat the whole rig to get good sound out of that system though?

Wardell

NO

I have several Jeep buds that have spent that kind of coin and more on "better" systems. IMHO they sound exactly like mine does when naked and cruising (can't hear anything over the wind and tire noise.)

Also two of them fried after being caught in a shower.

"The stocker is a rocker" :rock::rock::rock:

My thoughts exactly. When it comes down to it, the JK is a convertible and wasn't designed for good acoustics. No matter how much money or work you sink into the sounds system, you'll probably never get anything close to the sound that you're looking for. Plus, you open yourself up to other problems, like the speakers or wiring being damaged by the elements, or theft of your shiny new head unit.

Honestly, I think you're better off investing in a good set of headphones...

UpsideUp

EL Chupo thanks for that great perspective! You beat me to my last post. LoL That's pretty much what I was wondering. Cost vs diminished returns. A bit more clarity at higher volumes, hidden system, a bit more bass response, and enjoyable listening to the types of music I listen to were all on my top of the list.
That boat analogy is perfect! I don't want to be the bumping Jeep in the group with obnoxious noise pollution on the trail but there is something to be said about rolling around town and having a decent system for a reasonable price.

miamidiver

I took out the factory unit because I wanted to mount my cb in its place. I also replaced the speakers and factory amp to improve the sound slightly. I am happy with the results. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423093733.302403.jpg

el_chupo_

I took out the factory unit because I wanted to mount my cb in its place. I also replaced the speakers and factory amp to improve the sound slightly. I am happy with the results. View attachment 122808

This really makes me think - I was considering a basic double DIN and an iPad on the Angry offroad ipad mount, but I could do a single DIN and a CB, and get a little extension to run the mic cord out of the side of the ipad holder. Thanks for the idea!

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Just a straight opinion. I would go for the cheaper end like above. Decent head unit with phone/ipod integration and decent speakers, but not high end or high cost. And a stand alone gps. I have the 430N and would have saved the money if I could of.

Upgrading the sound was my first task when I got mine. Did a 5 channel amp, 8" sub w/box, components up front and coax in the rear. Cost was about ~$500 and I installed everything myself.

My top will be on 90% of the time for the foreseeable future so it's definitely worth it for me. Plus we use it for our camping trips and most of our daily driving.

miamidiver

This is great. Definitely what I'll do when I eventually upgrade the head unit. Did you fab up a bracket for the cb mount or buy one?

I ordered the double din bracket from the internets. Had to make some slight modifications to the interior of the bracket to make it fit flush.

srosario

About $4k system, at the time, mean system. Sounds great, but just took off the complete hardtop and i have no BASS. all the bass goes out and you cant feel one beat. But once the top is on. ITS ON. For me its worth it. When i take the t-tops off it still sounds like i have them ON.
For the CROOKS, I have an alarm as a deterrent.

To Each Its Own.
I love it, But i had my system for years already and just had to spend about $1k from what i already had to complete the install on the jk.
If i had to do it from scratch, probably would have settle for less, cause it gets expensive quick. Would i have been happy? NO!

pioneer x2600bt
back up camera
2- kicker tweeters
4- beyma 6.5"
2- 12" kicker L7
2- good ass amps.
all new wires

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
My Sport S just came with the basic stereo, I wanted the Infinity in hopes of not having to upgrade. Dealership couldn't find one with the Infinity system and all the other options I wanted. So I ordered the Kicker upgrade speakers for the dash and soundbar, got a factory Infinity sub and enclosure from a forum member, then wired it to a 600 watt Powerbass amp that is mounted under the passenger seat. Think I spent somewhere around $300.00. It is definitely a noticeable upgrade, but I'm getting older and don't intend on waking the neighbors like I did in high school. As others have said, it'll take a lot to sound good with the top off, not worth the $$ too me.

jeeeep

Hooked
About $4k system, at the time, mean system. Sounds great, but just took off the complete hardtop and i have no BASS. all the bass goes out and you cant feel one beat. But once the top is on. ITS ON. For me its worth it. When i take the t-tops off it still sounds like i have them ON.
For the CROOKS, I have an alarm as a deterrent.

To Each Its Own.
I love it, But i had my system for years already and just had to spend about $1k from what i already had to complete the install on the jk.
If i had to do it from scratch, probably would have settle for less, cause it gets expensive quick. Would i have been happy? NO!

pioneer x2600bt
back up camera
2- kicker tweeters
4- beyma 6.5"
2- 12" kicker L7
2- good ass amps.
all new wires

Have you tried to jumper the hard top connector when it's off? For some reason, Chrysler decided to create a volume limiter once the hardtop is removed.
http://youtu.be/hNG8tyJkVXY

srosario

Have you tried to jumper the hard top connector when it's off? For some reason, Chrysler decided to create a volume limiter once the hardtop is removed.

My mid's and high's are great with the whole roof off, great, i love them. Dont hear wind, road, led bar noise at all.
Bass is the one that i have none. all goes out the roof, i guess cause i have a ported box. But its still good.
Its a good set up to take my jetski to the lake and just chill, and rock some music.

gleno99

My mid's and high's are great with the whole roof off, great, i love them. Dont hear wind, road, led bar noise at all.
Bass is the one that i have none. all goes out the roof, i guess cause i have a ported box. But its still good.
Its a good set up to take my jetski to the lake and just chill, and rock some music.

I'm just curious. Has anyone tried an old school band pass box instead of ported or sealed box? It may be better with the top off.

UpsideUp

Do you know where to find that? Seems driver side rear..of course but is it connected to something? That is ridiculous that Jeep would install something like that. What would be the purpose of turning down when noise goes up? Seems like it would be more appropriate in reverse?

srosario

Do you know where to find that? Seems driver side rear..of course but is it connected to something? That is ridiculous that Jeep would install something like that. What would be the purpose of turning down when noise goes up? Seems like it would be more appropriate in reverse?

i heard benz does the same thing wen you open the sunroof and lower the windows.

and damn, i havent seen one of does band pass box, in a long time.lol

jeeeep

Hooked

it's the connector for the rear wiper

Top Bottom