Exploring the Shores of an Ancient Nevada Dry Lake

Brute

Hooked
Very cool place...looks like a mini Bonneville Salt Flats ...it was also interesting to see the gauge display...can you bring that page up at any time? Also, the 3.6 seems to run much higher temps than my v8's in my jeeps. My coolant temp midline is at 203; my trans temp midline is at 180 (and it usually runs at 150)...and my oil pressure midline is 50

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Might be something to give a look at .. will be over that way later this week or early next ...

Well, there's a ton to give a look at out here :yup:

Great pictures and history lesson
TY fo sharing [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks, we're so glad you enjoyed following our little side trip :cool:

Great pics Eddie! Man when did you get a soft top for the JL? Looks really good. The new design is very nice.

We bought our JL Wrangler with the dual top group. The top is really nice and in some ways, I think it's quieter than the hard top. But then, it's about as heavy too :crazyeyes:

Cool pics, looks fun to explore.

Very cool. Always enjoy your trip/excursion reports.

Well, it ain't rock crawling but it is what we love doing most :yup:

Awesome pictures and history as always! Seeing all those bugs on your windshield reminds me of driving through the Everglades [emoji23] couldn’t see a thing and ran out of washer fluid!

LOL!! Knowing that a gas station was coming up, I didn't even bother trying to clean them off with the wipers. Although, visibility was nearly gone by the time I got there :crazyeyes: :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was one great trip and story I really enjoyed. Although I no longer live in Nevada I really miss my expeditions with my wife exploring the old ghost towns and the history of Nevada. Thank you for sharing

Well, I'm glad that we could bring you a bit of Nevada if only through your computer screen. :cool:

Excellent report as always. As much as I love exploring north western Utah, Nevada is still where I find myself most wanting to see.

Northwestern Utah is a beautiful place as well. Still a part of the Great Basin Desert :yup:

I love all the history you guys find while exploring. It really is an amazing part of the country!

The thing is, history can be found anywhere. What makes a place like this so cool is that what you get to see is pretty much what you would have seen way back then. It's like walking back in time. :yup:

I always enjoy reading your trip reports. Great pictures and cool histrorical perspective.

Thank you, we're so glad to hear you enjoy our trip reports. :cool:

Very cool place...looks like a mini Bonneville Salt Flats ...it was also interesting to see the gauge display...can you bring that page up at any time? Also, the 3.6 seems to run much higher temps than my v8's in my jeeps. My coolant temp midline is at 203; my trans temp midline is at 180 (and it usually runs at 150)...and my oil pressure midline is 50

Yes, the 3.6L run very hot but that's how it was designed. It's also why the JL comes with a vacuum of death for a fan :crazyeyes:

Sweet lyric Eddie! Looks like you guys had a blast. Thanks for the pictures.

Glad you enjoyed the pics :)

Discount Tire

Eddie and Cindy, thank you again for a history lesson while you were out! As a good friend of mine calls it, Motorized Exploring. It's always amazing what you can find when you get off the beaten path.

How cool to find some old bottles that you were able to date. It always makes it more interesting to be able to validate past history.

One question about the dry lake bed were you tempted to punch it like you were at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

My wife and I love exploring as well. We found an old railroad bed deep in the forest S of Morman Lake AZ last weekend. At times we were driving on the railroad bed or beside it. I can't imagine how long it took to stack all the rocks for miles through the forest. A quick search looks like it may have been built in the late 1800's but I will have to research more to tell for sure. Still cool to see.

IMG_8724_zpsvtqtgdiu.jpg

IMG_8721_zpsmm35dsva.jpg

Thank you for taking us along with you. Awesome post!!!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie and Cindy, thank you again for a history lesson while you were out as a good friend of mine calls it, Motorized Exploring. It's always amazing what you can find when you get off the thw beaten path.

How cool to find some old bottles that you were able to date. It always makes it more interesting to be able to validate past history.

One question about the dry lake bed were you tempted to punch it like you were at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

My wife and I love exploring as well. We found an old railroad bed deep in the forest S of Morman Lake AZ last weekend. At times we were driving on the railroad bed or beside it. I can't imagine how long it took to stack all the rocks for miles through the forest. A quick search looks like it may have been built in the late 1800's but I will have to research more to tell for sure. Still cool to see.

Thank you for taking us along with you. Awesome post!!!

Awesome. I really like it up in the Flagstaff area especially being that it's so forested. So different than much of Arizona. Way cool to find that old railroad bed.

As far as the dry lake goes, you know I have to open it up anytime we're on one. :D

Discount Tire

Awesome. I really like it up in the Flagstaff area especially being that it's so forested. So different than much of Arizona. Way cool to find that old railroad bed.

As far as the dry lake goes, you know I have to open it up anytime we're on one. :D

Good for you, it would have been cool to see a photo of the speedo at ???

Years ago we took off across a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley on quads, 8 abrest when my good friend MT Jim hit an unseen dip because of no contrast in the landscape and got bucked off his quad at about 50. At least he had a helmet on but broke his foot during his acrobatics.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good for you, it would have been cool to see a photo of the speedo at ???

LOL!! We have so many dry lakes out here and we visit them so often that I didn't bother to take a pic this time around. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time or find a clip from a previous trip. :crazyeyes:

Years ago we took off across a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley on quads, 8 abrest when my good friend MT Jim hit an unseen dip because of no contrast in the landscape and got bucked off his quad at about 50. At least he had a helmet on but broke his foot during his acrobatics.

OUCH!! Soggy Dry Lake I assume? Problem with Johnson Valley is that it gets a lot of use and the dry lakes out there don't get water on an annual basis. Because of this, they typically aren't as smooth.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a very cool trip and as always, amazing photography. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, we're so glad you enjoyed our trip report :cool:

Awesome pictures!!!

I'd for sure be sending one of those .50 cal bullets home with me. Those are badass!!

LOL!! I took a small handful with me along with a few of the chain links that held them too. The whole lakebed was strewn with them :crazyeyes:

Discount Tire

LOL!! We have so many dry lakes out here and we visit them so often that I didn't bother to take a pic this time around. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time or find a clip from a previous trip. :crazyeyes:

OUCH!! Soggy Dry Lake I assume? Problem with Johnson Valley is that it gets a lot of use and the dry lakes out there don't get water on an annual basis. Because of this, they typically aren't as smooth.

Just like Soggy Lake over by the Sand dunes but the same thing. You have to pay attention as you can't see the textures very well.

Astroman

Really enjoy the vicarious exploring of the Nevada desert through your excellent photo-filled trip reports. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Top Bottom