Fenders for JKU

RSQCON

What are the best fenders on the market that are steel and Narrow??
BCB these guys like to get off topic quickly. Just know that there are plenty of good options out there for narrow width steel fenders. Crawler Conceptz, Gen-Right and Nemesis are some good places to start. I also know Evo has a set coming out soon. If you prefer the look or function of them over plastic go for it just do some research as some companies will brace the fender and others won't.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
BCB these guys like to get off topic quickly. Just know that there are plenty of good options out there for narrow width steel fenders. Crawler Conceptz, Gen-Right and Nemesis are some good places to start. I also know Evo has a set coming out soon. If you prefer the look of function of them over plastic go for it just do some research as some companies will brace the fender and others won't.

No one is off topic :asshat:. We replied with what we think is best. Don't like it...log out.

WJCO

Meme King
BCB these guys like to get off topic quickly. Just know that there are plenty of good options out there for narrow width steel fenders. Crawler Conceptz, Gen-Right and Nemesis are some good places to start. I also know Evo has a set coming out soon. If you prefer the look of function of them over plastic go for it just do some research as some companies will brace the fender and others won't.

Lol. Heaven forbid we try to save a new member from making mistakes that we already have and save some money in the process. With that being said, if he's set on steel fenders, he'll purchase them regardless.

Evil

I was going to go with these Rusty Skinny fenders or no fenders and EVO removable mud flaps. Don't know if they are the best or not but they are metal and look good.
yolo.jpg

Jack diddly

How would a "reinforced" fender, keep that kind of damage from happening to the Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well. I mean stop it from folding the fender like in the pic. If wanting to still install a metal fender. I know evo used to sell the armor that went there with the tube fender as a a solid piece. Sorry if I'm making this confusing. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Well. I mean stop it from folding the fender like in the pic. If wanting to still install a metal fender. I know evo used to sell the armor that went there with the tube fender as a a solid piece. Sorry if I'm making this confusing. [emoji1]

I doubt you'll find one. If you want metal fenders, buy metal fenders, but don't fool yourself into thinking that the hundreds of dollars you'll spend on them will help protect your Jeep. Read back over the whole thread if you need answers.

Ddays

Hooked

You're stuck in a Catch-22 bud. If you make the fenders so strong that they don't flex, the forces from being pushed up against them have to go somewhere and that's back into the sheetmetal. In order to do what you're asking you'd need a substructure behind the fender tied into something stronger to support the sheetmetal. I have never see anything like that anywhere - you'd probably have to fab something up yourself. That's why a lot of folks run the plastic fenders or cut the factory ones. Rip one off? Eh, snap it back on. Rub a metal fender into a tree and you're goin to the body shop

notnalc68

The first time I saw a JK with black plastic fenders I thought, "Those are fugly!" The first time I hit something with them, I figured out what a great idea they were.

Jack diddly

You're stuck in a Catch-22 bud. If you make the fenders so strong that they don't flex, the forces from being pushed up against them have to go somewhere and that's back into the sheetmetal. In order to do what you're asking you'd need a substructure behind the fender tied into something stronger to support the sheetmetal. I have never see anything like that anywhere - you'd probably have to fab something up yourself. That's why a lot of folks run the plastic fenders or cut the factory ones. Rip one off? Eh, snap it back on. Rub a metal fender into a tree and you're goin to the body shop
Yah. I totally see where you guys are coming from. Guess I'll keep the plastic ones I have on. Besides, the wobbly cuts my 8 year old daughter made make me laugh everyone I go out to my jeep. Guess they have a more sentimental value. Lol. Thanks for the advice guys. I was really contemplating metal fenders till now. Just saved me a bunch of money.

aTX427

I had a set of XRC steel fenders on my overland rig. I go stuck in a hole on Kane Creek and had it wedged pretty hard against the wall. Much to my surprise, there was no damage. Granted it was a sand / dirt wall, but there was a considerable amount of pressure on the front when we winched out. That being said, I am going with cut fenders this time for weight reduction.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The fenders you have replace the entire steel factory fender. Not what people are talking about here. This thread is talking about the fender flares. Not only that, if soft dirt like that caused damage, there are bigger issues. Not to mention the fender isn't even touching the dirt.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
This is one of my debates in my mind. I like the cost of cutting the factory flares. I like the idea of the factory flares folding over and popping back out. I like the idea of them being ripped off and the only damage is some cheap to replace plastic clips. I like the looks of the top side of the cut factory flares, but usually not the underside. It just doesn't seem to appealing to me.

I love how certain metal flares look but that's about it. Hate the cost, hate that they will cause damage to the body etc.

Like some of the aftermarket plastic flares, they just look finished to me. Don't like the price though.

So I always come back to cutting my factory flares. Lol. I need to just do it. Roll with it for a while and see how I like it.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I'll go out on a limb here and ask the OP, or anyone else looking at metal flares, do you plan to wheel? Be honest, despite all the ribbing it is perfectly fine to mall crawl or own a pavement princess. The bulk of people who participate on this forum actually wheel and they will automatically respond from that perspective. It comes also from years upon years of seeing the same questions and the same results, around here we call that experience. If you just want the look or you do wheel and are willing to assume the risk then follow Ol' what's his post's advice and research some of the named companies. Personally, I would give my business to EVO as Mel is a sponsor here and beyond that he just seems like a great guy who lives and breaths our sport. On my own Jeep, I run the Bushwackers. Better than metal but more potential damage than cut stocks. I am willing to risk it to have what I think are better looking fenders and I know how I wheel plays into the decision as well. I just think it's more helpful avoid the blanket "What is the best..." and give a little extra info on your intentions for the product or better yet pick something you like and ask about that specific product after you've narrowed it down. We're not your mother and shouldn't have to lay out your clothes for you. YOU build your Jeep, YOU should pick the parts and WE can then help you determine if they will meet your needs or if it's a shady company. After all, with one post we don't even know you yet and have no idea how to actually be of benefit to you. All we can do at this point is give the best advice based on our experience and what we would do to our Jeeps which may not apply to yours. Hope that makes sense.

lemoncadebay

What are the best fenders on the market that are steel and Narrow??

O|||||||O

I've seen a jeep roll completely on its side, get turned upright again, and the only damage to the jeep (near the fenders) was a couple scratches to his poison spyder fenders. Those brackets behind the fenders work. I expect if he had cut his stock fenders he would have had to get some serious body work done, or drive one ugly ass jeep around.

JMac79

I'll go out on a limb here and ask the OP, or anyone else looking at metal flares, do you plan to wheel? Be honest, despite all the ribbing it is perfectly fine to mall crawl or own a pavement princess. The bulk of people who participate on this forum actually wheel and they will automatically respond from that perspective. It comes also from years upon years of seeing the same questions and the same results, around here we call that experience. If you just want the look or you do wheel and are willing to assume the risk then follow Ol' what's his post's advice and research some of the named companies. Personally, I would give my business to EVO as Mel is a sponsor here and beyond that he just seems like a great guy who lives and breaths our sport. On my own Jeep, I run the Bushwackers. Better than metal but more potential damage than cut stocks. I am willing to risk it to have what I think are better looking fenders and I know how I wheel plays into the decision as well. I just think it's more helpful avoid the blanket "What is the best..." and give a little extra info on your intentions for the product or better yet pick something you like and ask about that specific product after you've narrowed it down. We're not your mother and shouldn't have to lay out your clothes for you. YOU build your Jeep, YOU should pick the parts and WE can then help you determine if they will meet your needs or if it's a shady company. After all, with one post we don't even know you yet and have no idea how to actually be of benefit to you. All we can do at this point is give the best advice based on our experience and what we would do to our Jeeps which may not apply to yours. Hope that makes sense.

Agreed. WJCO was simply pointing out another option to maybe someone that hadn't heard the reason to cut plastic fenders. I didn't realize that until I read some of these threads and saw pictures. After knowing all that I will most likely go with some narrow steel fenders because I like the look. I'll take that risk just as you. That's what I love about this forum. We ask questions and get everyone's feedback and "YOU" as the Jeep owner make your own decision.

To the OP I personally like the look of PS narrow steel. However like others have said maybe Evo is coming out with theirs and it is awesome to support a vendor who makes getting all this knowledge and support free for all of us.

Top Bottom