Fix your Engine Tick before it gets expensive (3.6L Pentastar tick)

mattfl

Picked her up after work the ticking is gone! Also, my mpg went up almost 4mpg! I was sitting around 14.5mpg on 5.13 gears and 40s and it went up to 18.4 mpg on the way home!

Here's everything they replaced if anyone cares.

Attachments

• camphoto_959030623.jpg
    camphoto_959030623.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 239
Picked her up after work the ticking is gone! Also, my mpg went up almost 4mpg! I was sitting around 14.5mpg on 5.13 gears and 40s and it went up to 18.4 mpg on the way home!

I’m going back in time to use what you’ve just taught us

mattfl

I’m going back in time to use what you’ve just taught us

lol yeah, I actually noticed a sudden loss of MPG about 3 months ago, but it was right after I regeared so I figured that was the issue, even though my friend who regeared at the same time improved his MPG. Shortly after the ticking started!

So yeah, if you notice a sudden loss of MPG, something is probably up!

I don’t know the 3.6 well, it states that the rocker roller bearings went bad and damaged camshafts but there’s no bearings in the parts list. Just rocker arm and cams. Are they a part of the rocker then?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jorgelrod

Hooked
They replaced the intake and exhaust cams plus all the rockers, pretty good deal. Most dealers will just replace the failed rocker.

trailraider

They replaced the intake and exhaust cams plus all the rockers, pretty good deal. Most dealers will just replace the failed rocker.

this is a tough one, FCA will bounce claims back to the dealer if they figure parts didn't need to be replaced. if the tech doesn't write a good story, charge back. and you wont see it for three months after the fact. that's why you will see some dealers do the minimum required parts.

Any advice on how to approach the dealership about this? I’m the second owner of the Jeep and my purchase came with a 100K Powertrain warranty. I’m at 38K miles now so should be ok?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Any advice on how to approach the dealership about this? I’m the second owner of the Jeep and my purchase came with a 100K Powertrain warranty. I’m at 38K miles now so should be ok?

If you're hearing ticking/knocking you should take it in and ask them to check your valve lash.

I adjusted the valve lash on my motorcycle last winter, not because it was knocking but it was due to be checked and I found most of them were out. It's a pretty simple job IMO, but if your warranted make your dealer do it!

Edit 1: If the engine has 38k miles on it I wouldn't think it would have valve lash issues but it could I guess.

Edit 2: Also, cold engines will knock a little sometimes. If it's knocking when it's warm that is a problem.

Last edited:
If you're hearing ticking/knocking you should take it in and ask them to check your valve lash.

I adjusted the valve lash on my motorcycle last winter, not because it was knocking but it was due to be checked and I found most of them were out. It's a pretty simple job IMO, but if your warranted make your dealer do it!

Edit 1: If the engine has 38k miles on it I wouldn't think it would have valve lash issues but it could I guess.

Edit 2: Also, cold engines will knock a little sometimes. If it's knocking when it's warm that is a problem.

Thanks man. Appreciate the info. Whenever I turn her over for the first time that day, it sounds like someone is banging two of these little metal balls together very rapidly for about three seconds after she starts.
Adjustments.JPG
Then the tick is much quieter and at about half the beats per minute, but definitely constant.

And yea your probably right, I should take it in. I guess I’m just fishing for DIY vs take it into the dealer experiences. Sounds like one guy on this thread had a great dealership experience with this issue down in Florida. Maybe I’ll make the drive down haha.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Thanks man. Appreciate the info. Whenever I turn her over for the first time that day, it sounds like someone is banging two of these little metal balls together very rapidly for about three seconds after she starts.
View attachment 349214
Then the tick is much quieter and at about half the beats per minute, but definitely constant.

And yea your probably right, I should take it in. I guess I’m just fishing for DIY vs take it into the dealer experiences. Sounds like one guy on this thread had a great dealership experience with this issue down in Florida. Maybe I’ll make the drive down haha.

One or two valves could be way out of tolerance and if so they should balance them all. From what you describe, I'd ask them to check valve clearances.

I'm not sure how accessible the valves are in these engines, haven't looked. It would probably be easy enough for you to check on your own. But if it has warranty I'd do it under warranty.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
View attachment 349214

The valve clearance isn’t adjustable in the 3.6 it’s hydraulic. If it’s ticking all the time then you probably have a collapsed lifter and if left will damage the cam. It happened to mine at roughly 35k kms. New cams and lifters under warranty and no problem since.

However if it only ticks for a few seconds on startup as it builds pressure that is more likely the chain tensioner bleeding down after sitting and getting a bit of slack until you start again and the pressure comes back up. This is common on a lot of engines including the 3.6 and not really a big deal.

I’d suggest you take it to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ve heard the best way to fix the 3.6 engine tick is a V8 swap. 🤷*♂️

The valve clearance isn’t adjustable in the 3.6 it’s hydraulic. If it’s ticking all the time then you probably have a collapsed lifter and if left will damage the cam. It happened to mine at roughly 35k kms. New cams and lifters under warranty and no problem since.

However if it only ticks for a few seconds on startup as it builds pressure that is more likely the chain tensioner bleeding down after sitting and getting a bit of slack until you start again and the pressure comes back up. This is common on a lot of engines including the 3.6 and not really a big deal.

Take it to the dealer...take it to Exodus Jeeps[emoji848]

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Well there i go for assuming again. Thank you for the knowledge. Need to look something up!

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Chain tensioner bleed down? Are the tensioners on this engine hydraulic? I’m only familiar with the spring loaded ratcheting type that only move in the direction to eliminate slack.

Top Bottom