Fix your Engine Tick before it gets expensive (3.6L Pentastar tick)

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Chain tensioner bleed down? Are the tensioners on this engine hydraulic? I’m only familiar with the spring loaded ratcheting type that only move in the direction to eliminate slack.

To be honest I haven’t been in there but that is exactly the sound I’m familiar with on other similar OHC engines.

Also looking at pictures online they definitely look like there is a hydraulic passage in the tensioner and a matching passage in the block. The ratchet normally just keeps in in the ballpark

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
To be honest I haven’t been in there but that is exactly the sound I’m familiar with on other similar OHC engines.

Also looking at pictures online they definitely look like there is a hydraulic passage in the tensioner and a matching passage in the block. The ratchet normally just keeps in in the ballpark

My comment is based on our 3.7L Liberty. I replaced a head gasket and learned all about the tensioners during the process. They look to be about the same, spring loaded. They both show a pull pin that is used to release the tensioner once the chain is in place. Once that pin is pulled, the spring pushes the plunger out and a ratchet prevents it from getting pushed back in. The only way to push the plunger in is to manually release the ratchet mechanism. That’s been my experience with it anyway. The 3.6L might be different?

An oil port might just be for lubrication since the tensioner pushes a shoe against the timing chain to take up slack.

Last edited:

MORedJeep

I am having this ticking sound as well. Just noticed it a month or so ago, my 2014 has 133k on it so no longer under warranty. Anyone know of reputable Jeep service trucks in St Louis. I will not take it back to where I bought it. They have made too many mistakes for me to trust them again.

Thanks

Top Bottom