For people looking to upgrade their head unit

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
thats looks really nice, i have the others and it looks so cheap.

i was thinking of getting that carricks for the iPad since it was a much cheaper solutions to sound man mold.

Has anyone heard of tried the Seicane andriod radio?

I heard mixed reviews about Seicane, I am just going to save up and go with the Insane Audio, good warranty with it also.

flchamp89

There alot of seicane threads on ********. OP made bunch of youtube videos. Name is **********. There also a joying brand thats similar.

The metra install kits and pac units from crutchfield make most installs super easy. 20171028_150055.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
There alot of seicane threads on ********. OP made bunch of youtube videos. Name is **********. There also a joying brand thats similar.

The metra install kits and pac units from crutchfield make most installs super easy. View attachment 288185

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Please review the rules. Do not direct members to competing forums. If you have anything to share, post your own stuff here.

IMG_0844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The metra install kits and pac units from crutchfield make most installs super easy.

I don't mean to sound like an ass but if you have information to share, I'd be grateful if you could please just post it up here. Unlike the multi-billion dollar corporate owned forum you were directing traffic to, this one is paid for and run by my wife Cindy and I. We would be grateful if people would be encouraged to stay here. Thank you.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I did some searching and was able to source just the side filler panels that come in this kit. I think they have a good integrated look and at only $40 bucks they didn't break the bank.

The part number is 820ZUD-L974-ENW-SWV

Now I'm able to use the head unit I want but still have somewhat of a factory look.

I'm pretty sure they will work with any head unit made for the jeep as they have the same holes as the metra install kit.

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up if your looking for a different solution.

Thanks for posting those up. I just got the 4200NEX and I'm not a huge fan of those Metra filler panels. Might have to check them out.

Also, in case anyone's wondering how to get around the emergency brake problem *wink wink*, do a search for a "micro bypass" and then your model radio. You can find them on a common online retailer for $14 and they're really easy to wire up.

Mcollins443

IMG_1573.jpg
I installed the Pioneer AVH-X391BHS. I used the metra dash kit and I don’t think it looks bad. I love the head unit. I also installed JBL component speakers up front and a kicker amp inside the dash. The sound is crystal clear even cranked up with the top down on the highway.

jms632

Sorry I’ve had it installed a few weeks now. I like it a lot. It connects right up to my phone and starts playing where I left off within seconds. Haven’t had any connectivity issues. Only problem is I accidentally spliced the reverse wire into the brake wire. Now anytime I’m using apple maps and hit the brakes the gps thinks I’m going in reverse lol. I have to take it back out to install my backup camera so I will fix this eventually. Other than that I highly recommend it.

IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0353.JPG

WranglerWilly83

Sorry I’ve had it installed a few weeks now. I like it a lot. It connects right up to my phone and starts playing where I left off within seconds. Haven’t had any connectivity issues. Only problem is I accidentally spliced the reverse wire into the brake wire. Now anytime I’m using apple maps and hit the brakes the gps thinks I’m going in reverse lol. I have to take it back out to install my backup camera so I will fix this eventually. Other than that I highly recommend it.

View attachment 292227 View attachment 292228

What is the name of this head unit and model number? Also, you think we could Get the JL head unit somehow? But this one looks pretty good and I want wireless Apple car play.

jms632

What is the name of this head unit and model number? Also, you think we could Get the JL head unit somehow? But this one looks pretty good and I want wireless Apple car play.

It’s the alpine ilx-107. The side kit comes from the wra-i207.

Yeah there’s no way to install the jl unit after the fact. Or at least not easily. The jl unit has too many things integrated like ac control. Besides sourcing one right now would be next to impossible even if there was a way to make it work

Rocralr

Hi. I have the Insane Audio 2001 in my 2015 JKU. I don't like it. I'm gonna pull it out and sell it. I don't like the fact that it does not have a CD and no Sat Radio. My wife likes them both.

acmtn

New to forum, so forgive me if this post turns out wrong.

After a bunch of research I went with Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S. It had everything I wanted for a (fairly) reasonable price. Of course that price goes up by the time you add in the all the rest of the stuff like wiring harness adapter, steering wheel controls, XM tuner, etc. It was a straightforward install. The bluetooth phone quality has been above complaint. We have a soft-top and both sides of the call are pretty clear even at highway+ speeds. I also like the gauge interface (kind of like a poor man's Torque). Oh - no navigation in unit (other than Carplay); but as you can see I repurposed an old Garmin for that anyway (pre-head unit upgrade).

I used the Metra dash kit, but that took a little knife work to get it to be as flush on both the unit and dash as I wanted it to.

IMG_3097.jpg
IMG_3140.jpg

mpwww

I’m considering buying the Alpine pieces. Are they any more stout/durable than the Metra/Scosche parts? Are the “screws” in the front real? I’ve also thought about just milling parts of my own out of aluminum as it would compliment the 107 nicely.

jms632

I’m considering buying the Alpine pieces. Are they any more stout/durable than the Metra/Scosche parts? Are the “screws” in the front real? I’ve also thought about just milling parts of my own out of aluminum as it would compliment the 107 nicely.

They aren't more durable...they are just plastic pieces like the metra kits. The screws are not real. I like the idea of milling some out of aluminum, that would be tits.

jms632

jms632, Thanks for the info, I was looking for an alternative to the metra brackets for ilx 107, going to order these as well.

Did you install a front camera with the 107 or just a back camera? I’m looking for a way to install the front camera with the maestro unit and back camera.

I haven't installed a camera yet. Still trying to come up with a solution I like. Alpine makes a surround camera add on kit but its $$$. There are several amazon and ebay options for multiple camera inputs but won't be as seamless as the alpine system as it's integrated into the head unit's software.

g500KCXC250-F.jpg

I'm really digging the look of their new ilx 309 halo. It looks like the head unit's in Mercedes g wagons.

IMG_2413.jpg

05-alpine-ilx-f309-halo9-dash-2016-toyota-tacoma.jpg

I don't know why they don't integrate wireless CarPlay into all of their head units. It's the best feature they have developed.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug

View attachment 292227 View attachment 292228

Will this head unit take getting wet in a rainstorm ? I bought a cheaper alpine head unit and lost the lcd screen in a month in the first rainstorm with the top off

Top Bottom