From the Experts: Why the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler MAY come with a Fixed Roof

shadow21

So according to allpar the fixed roof is a must but the doors which aren't designed to keep you in vehicles during a roll over is okay?? Sounds like the typical bs all par is known for putting out.

JKWrang

No it states that the doors cannot contribute to the strength of the rest of the vehicle's impact resistance.

JamesWyatt

Im gonna get flamed but here goes...I wish the Wrangler had an optional fixed roof. This would allow for 1/2 doors with pillarless glass, and that would be great for me. Still get the open air feel without the sun beating on my neck. The convertible option can remain for those that want it of course. Dare to dream.

I'd be interested in a fixed roof, but I hope they offer it in addition to the convertible, not in place of it. For example: if I were to buy an old Defender, I'd want one of the fixed roof models - they just look cooler.

Also - if they didn't offer the convertible, then maybe they will make several fixed roof options: 2 door, 4 door, 4 door crew cab pickup, and maybe even an extended wagon like the Defender 110. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to have choices.

With the launch possible pushed back to an 18 model released in 17, maybe the chances will go up to see a stateside diesel before the switch.

hogtyed

:cussing: One of the reasons that I own a Jeep is that one of my options is being able to go topless. As I am a motorcycle rider also. Motorcycle riders have been going through the same type of problems with the safety nanny's over the right to wear helmets or not. Let those who ride decide... I for one am sick & tired of the government trying to keep me safe in every aspect of my life with mandates. Some of these mandates often cause deaths. If we leave it all up to our government we will all be driving Priuses, eating salad pills while wearing helmets inside our bubble suits. Now leave me alone & let me trail & ride what ever the hell I want. :twocents:

Just had to vent a little.

jesse3638

Hooked
Hope this doesn't happen, but it seems there are lots more folks lately who want to save us from ourselves. Glad I love the older iron so much and there's lots of it around. Besides, there's always the sawzall.:shock:

Edit: I do like the looks of this concept. Could possibly grow to accept it.

My thoughts exactly. Seeing how it's still going to be body on frame not unibody you could cut the top without compromising the rigidity of the vehicle that would cause it to sag or bend in the middle. Sure it would take away from all the structural stuff mentioned in the article that I couldn't finish reading because it was written in engineering jargon...haha. But hey it would give Bestop a new project. Aftermarket removable hard top or soft top that requires more body modification than a Hollywood A-lister. Maybe wild boar would jump on board too. It would give them less time to create future generations of their Neanderthal grill.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I have to admit. I will be very disappointed if there is no longer a removable top in the new Wrangler.

Me too. I consider the ability to put the top down a key Jeep Wrangler feature. I love the open feeling and views it allows when off-roading. Much like the wranglers iconic grill, it's something that distinguishes the jeep brand. I also can't stand the look of that tilted back front grill but suppose I would get used to it.

MileHi

Along similar lines I just read an article about how the latest versions of Chargers, Challengers, Cameros, Mustangs etc. will be the next great collector cars.

It is in part due to their retro styling which were "classic" to begin with but also because they have the HP guts to match. The power options have been unparalleled these last ten years or so and the amount of power available in that number and differing price ranges of vehicles hasn't happened since the 60's. It has been a unique decade as there was a market for all this that drove the designs and power (aka the baby boomers who had the money and wanted cars from their childhood.)

But, according to this article that's about to come to an end with gradual but certain EPA restrictions coming that make it nearly impossible to engineer that kind of power.

Modifications will always be possible but even the base power plants will likely not be as conducive for it. And of course all that means more desirability for the pre strict EPA rules vehicles.

Anyway, interesting. The V's, LS1, and new Hemi's may be well be a last great show of American muscle. Might be a good time to buy one of the aforementioned vehicles.

Of course you'll have to keep it another 30 years to see if this article is right.

Still, the government involvement has a huge bearing on all this...just like this issue discussed here with the NHTSB and Jeeps being open tops.

Last edited:

MileHi

I'm glad I plan on having my JK for a long time lol

I feel that way about my LJ too. Don't get me wrong I like the JK's for sure but I'm a 4.0 fan and like some of the simpler TJ era designs as well.

But either way...TJ or JK may end up being rigs that are truer to the Jeep pedigree than what's coming next. Or, we will all be blown away. Time will tell...

Last edited:

MileHi

Me too. I consider the ability to put the top down a key Jeep Wrangler feature. I love the open feeling and views it allows when off-roading. Much like the wranglers iconic grill, it's something that distinguishes the jeep brand. I also can't stand the look of that tilted back front grill but suppose I would get used to it.

I'm with you on both points. I don't really even like the JK grill that much (or the fenders but that's another discussion.)

I think so much of this even outside of the government regs will be market driven though to an extent as well. Even with those regs the engineers can and will find ways around it IF numbers drop.

I mean a lot of Jeep guys cried when they put the minivan engine in the JK but it was still a great rig overall and unique in the market and the numbers stayed the same and even went up. So if your Chrysler / Jeep then that's what you watch. Saving money on one less engine to produce and no damage to the bottom line. Why not?

But if guys start leaving the brand for the competition because of too many changes and the numbers drop then that's a problem. It's a balance. A hardtop wrangler really isn't as distinct in the market and the competition starts to look more enticing. It'll be a numbers game to see what it is about Jeeps that make people spend their hard earned greenbacks for them. One way or another we will vote with our dollars.

Last edited:

BlueBox

Wow that is quite a technical post. As an engineer I really enjoyed reading that, as it put things into perspective. Fwiw my take is that if they do go fixed roof it will be to allow themselves design flexibility to meet whatever the regulations end up at without having to go back to the drawing board. I would guess that if it does go this way it would be sort of a transitional gap while they let the legislation work out and refine from there. Pretty sound engineering choices I think.

That said, stuff like this just reaffirms why I bought my 2015. Looking forward to several years of modding and wheeling this thing while the 'next-gen' works itself out.

The Jeeper in me is with the rest of you guys, I'm sticking with my JK for quite awhile! :yup:

BlackHawk08jk

I think that the government should take those rules and shove them. If you want to drive a wrangler it should be up to you to just assume the risk of it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You guys may think Im crazy, but I would LOVE a fully intergrated metal roof with 1/2 doors and pillarless glass. That would be my perfect wrangler.

iRonin

Way I sees it, once you buy one, the solution is just a Sawzall away.... pay Evo or Synergy to weld in a cage, and off you go. :beer:

IceColdJK

Engineers throught process

That's probably because Robert Sheaves is an engineer :crazyeyes: :D

An engineer thinks differently from the normal thought process. His would be something like:
We want to be at G but can't because of B, C, & D; so the space-time continum E skips F and we are back at A.

Or so it appears.

I think I am going to keep my JK for a long time as well. I am also in agreement with the reasoning of motorcyclist and the helmet laws, let those that ride decide. This should also be true for the Jeep vehicles. The driver option roof choice is a big part of the Jeep appeal as is the off road capabilities.

Basically the 2016 'er 2018ish Wrangler had better come out swinging and blow our minds.

Last edited:

bOLsAK3

There are several patent drawings out there that indicate this subject is true. I've seen one, which I can't currently pull up which shows a calapsing and stackable hard top convertible is being worked on. I did find one picture of that top but it does little to explain the complete complexity of the idea behind the top.

Here's the link to the patent drawings http://www.google.com/patents/US8408623

Last edited:
Top Bottom