Front axle leak tell me what I need to do.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Alright, pulled the trigger and just decided to do it right and do it once. Went with the PR44 unlimited conventional housing, ARB-RD147, 5.13 gears, pro steer joints, .50 thickness, and raised non tab track bar to accommodate for Rancho knuckles down the road.

Still need to order the Nitro 35 spline shafts. Now, just gotta sit and wait.

Thank you Bubba and all you guys who helped.

That’s awesome! Congrats.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
Alright, pulled the trigger and just decided to do it right and do it once. Went with the PR44 unlimited conventional housing, ARB-RD147, 5.13 gears, pro steer joints, .50 thickness, and raised non tab track bar to accommodate for Rancho knuckles down the road.

Still need to order the Nitro 35 spline shafts. Now, just gotta sit and wait.

Thank you Bubba and all you guys who helped.

Awesome! Solid Choices... hope to do something similar one day.

Ddays

Hooked
Yup, you probably made the right choice. Once you start down the 60/60 road things really start snowballing and adding up quick. That PR44 will serve you well :thumb:

MericaMade

Thanks guys. I want to regear during the wait process and just confirming that as long a I don't put the Jeep in 4-wheel drive, it'll be fine with different gears right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I want to regear during the wait process and just confirming that as long a I don't put the Jeep in 4-wheel drive, it'll be fine with different gears right?

Yes. I ran with different front and rear ratios for nearly a year before I had a chance to regear to match. No problems as long as you don’t go into 4wd. You don’t even need to take the drive shafts out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just throwing it out there... if you put it in 4 you can have an excuse to buy an atlas too [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MericaMade

Ok I was not expecting this. Since I started this thread a few weeks ago I've constantly been having to go in my garage and wipe up 3 to 4 inch diameter circles of oil on the garage floor. This week I'm having some stuff done to the truck so I need to drive the Jeep. With as much oil that I've had to mop up from the garage floor I figured it would be smart to top off the front diff. This is what I thought was odd, as soon as I took off the fill plug a good amount of oil poured back out of the front diff. This is only what I caught there's a little bit more on the floor. The jeep has 20000 miles on it and the front end has never been serviced until now. Does it seem like there was too much oil in the front from the factory? To add, I have probably wiped up the same or maybe even more oil from my garage floor over the last few weeks. 20200308_164012.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Ok I was not expecting this. Since I started this thread a few weeks ago I've constantly been having to go in my garage and wipe up 3 to 4 inch diameter circles of oil on the garage floor. This week I'm having some stuff done to the truck so I need to drive the Jeep. With as much oil that I've had to mop up from the garage floor I figured it would be smart to top off the front diff. This is what I thought was odd, as soon as I took off the fill plug a good amount of oil poured back out of the front diff. This is only what I caught there's a little bit more on the floor. The jeep has 20000 miles on it and the front end has never been serviced until now. Does it seem like there was too much oil in the front from the factory? To add, I have probably wiped up the same or maybe even more oil from my garage floor over the last few weeks. View attachment 342709

See if the oil is leaking out of the breather tube on your frame. Right next to the LF coil spring. It will be obvious if it is, there will be residue all over the frame too. If that ends up being the case, your fluid is definitely overfull. From what you've described when you pulled the fill plug, it is overfilled.

How much fluid do you have there? Hard to tell without context. Were you on level ground when you cracked it open? Had you just driven it?

jdofmemi

As long as it's leaking, you know it still has like in it🤣

A little extra is better than not enough.

As for the leak on the floor, it's amazing how big of a spot a thimble full of gear oil will make.
Even what's in the bucket is not much, but would cover the whole garage floor if it spilled.

I would not loose any sleep over it, especially since you are replacing it soon anyway.

MericaMade

Been through any water recently?
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, but the leak did not start until that huge hit about a month after going to Big Bear in the snow. Not discounting water got in there though.

See if the oil is leaking out of the breather tube on your frame. Right next to the LF coil spring. It will be obvious if it is, there will be residue all over the frame too. If that ends up being the case, your fluid is definitely overfull. From what you've described when you pulled the fill plug, it is overfilled.

Clean from the back of the diff and the no oil residue at the end of the hose or anywhere near the hose vent.

How much fluid do you have there? Hard to tell without context. Were you on level ground when you cracked it open? Had you just driven it?

1/4 of a quart including what I did not catch on the floor. Been sitting for a week on level garage floor not touched.

As long as it's leaking, you know it still has like in it��

A little extra is better than not enough.

As for the leak on the floor, it's amazing how big of a spot a thimble full of gear oil will make.
Even what's in the bucket is not much, but would cover the whole garage floor if it spilled.

I would not loose any sleep over it, especially since you are replacing it soon anyway.

Yeah, I am glad I am stepping up because this would bug me regardless. When I mop up the floor I also have to clean of the bottom of the knuckle which holds a nice amount. Hard to explaine but from what I have clean up I would have bet I need at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It’s leaking now probably because of your lift and your front axle is pointing forward with your aftermarket control arms. I wouldn’t worry about it since you are replacing it. When it stops leaking, you know it’s low on fluid. If it’s only leaking at your tube, it won’t run out. There is fluid below the axle tube.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom