Front Diff Sound

brodydez

I was driving really slow on the freeway the other day and I was close to the concrete wall. I had the top off and the windows rolled down and i heard what sounded like the wear bars on the front brakes squeaking a little bit. I work at a dealership so I put the Jeep up in the air and spun the front tires to see what the noise was. To my surprise the noise was coming from the back of the front diff. Sounds like the rear pinion bearing, but not sure. I pushed and pulled on the drive shaft to see if the pinion bearings were bad, but no movement. Do you think the noise is just the beginning of a bad bearing?

It doesn't look like overhaul kits are that expensive, but the labor in getting it out is going to be a pain in the ass.

Just a little info on what I have.
2007 JK with Dana 30 front and 4:10 gears with an Eaton locker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you hear the noise regardless if you are in 4WD or not? Being that you installed new gears and a locker, it is possible that you over crushed the crush sleeve and that could in turn wear out the bearings faster.

brodydez

Good question! I didn't try it in 4WD. I didn't drive it today, but I will try that when I get home. It's pretty quiet, but I hate dumb noises so I heard it instantly and now it's all I hear when I drive it. :banghead:

brodydez

I finally was able to drive my Jeep today and the sound is much worse in 4wd. I guess it's going to the shop this week to get pulled apart.

brodydez

Thanks! Me too, but I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I think an overhaul of the diff will do the trick.

Top Bottom