Front XD60 Order: Missing anything before placing order?

AdrockTT

Dynatrac and Ive talked about this and it's one of the only questions I'm still on the fence about. Balancing between DD and offroad capability is up in the air. 4.88 is okay for DD but will be made up in t case reduction for offroad, 5.38 will be on the performance side and might be less DD friendly.

I'm okay with changing the rear, no problem, however from 4.88 to 5.38 is about 250 rpm but the torque would be noticeable. Talking with dynatrac, 4.88 seemed a bit more doable with my goal of superchargering.

I might be a helpful resource for you. I just completed my PR60 and huge overhaul. I'm on 40x13.5x17s with a 3.6L V6 (2012) w 4:1 TC. I'm on 5.13s and wouldn't want any more gear (personally). I will have it supercharged next month and personally feel the 5.13s are the sweet spot, esp w a power adder. I plan to do plenty of 70-75MPH stuff on the way to take it wheeling or just out enjoying it. For me, 5.38s would not be worth it...though if I were only choosing 4.88 and 5.38 (like the UD axles) - I'd def do the 5.38 > 4.88.

FWIW - I do like the 5.13s for the DD/street and trail mix.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I might be a helpful resource for you. I just completed my PR60 and huge overhaul. I'm on 40x13.5x17s with a 3.6L V6 (2012) w 4:1 TC. I'm on 5.13s and wouldn't want any more gear (personally). I will have it supercharged next month and personally feel the 5.13s are the sweet spot, esp w a power adder. I plan to do plenty of 70-75MPH stuff on the way to take it wheeling or just out enjoying it. For me, 5.38s would not be worth it...though if I were only choosing 4.88 and 5.38 (like the UD axles) - I'd def do the 5.38 > 4.88.

FWIW - I do like the 5.13s for the DD/street and trail mix.
I think your comment is best shared with the preface that you live in Tx, where it's relatively flat.

I have same setup except with 5.38s and if you are going into the hills/mountains I would not anything smaller. Gotta build it for where you live and where you wheel. Also in deep sand with low tire pressure I would again want the 5.38.

Decision should be based on where you live and plan to wheel. I can cruise on the fwy at 70-75 no problem.

Just my 2c.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I think your comment is best shared with the preface that you live in Tx, where it's relatively flat.

I have same setup except with 5.38s and if you are going into the hills/mountains I would not anything smaller. Gotta build it for where you live and where you wheel. Also in deep sand with low tire pressure I would again want the 5.38.

Decision should be based on where you live and plan to wheel. I can cruise on the fwy at 70-75 no problem.

Just my 2c.

I agree with you 100%. 5.38's seems to be the sweet spot for me with that set up. I can travel 80-85 with no problem of the rpm's going to high and when you get to the hills it still down shift, but it would be worse with 5.13's.

AdrockTT

Just my 2c.

Excellent point and I fully agree. I would want 5.38s if I lived/drove big hills all the time for sure. Hoping (for me) that the 5.13s with the supercharger will still be great when I venture out to the mountainous regions :)

mastrcruse

Alright guys....need some help.

The wife is absolutely not sold on $10k for an axle so the XD60 is out. It's now between a prorock 60 and a UD60 front. I've seen so many weld issues that I feel it might be worth giving up a .25 diameter in tubing and 10" ring gear to go with a prorock. It's been proven time and time again. "Giving up". Lol...it's a prorock 60 for gosh sakes

The "normal" prorock is selling for a damn good price right now and Im going to buy something next week,

Here is what is selling for $7500. Are there options I need to consider that aren't included below?

Custom Machined Dynatrac ProRock 60® High-Ground Clearance, High-Pinion Front Axle
Heavy-Duty Nodular-Iron ProRock 60 Housing
Pro 60® Knuckles with Elevated Tie-Rod Position for Best Ground Clearance
Alloy-steel End Forgings
Wheel End Kits with Dynatrac Stub Hub™ and Heat-Treated Chromoly Spindles for Ultimate Outer Axle Strength Kept Tucked Tight Inside the Wheels
Warn Locking Hubs
Extreme-Duty Right-hand Arm with Heavy-Duty Tie Rod (uses stock drag link)
Standard Lifted JK Housing Geometry and Pinion Angle
Dynatrac Heavy-Duty Raised Track Bar Bracket (not shown in photo)
68.5-inch Axle Width
Heavy-Duty 3.125-inch Diameter, 0.500-inch Wall Draw-Over-Mandrel (DOM) Axle Tubing
Dynatrac 3/16-inch JK Coil Spring Suspension Bracket Assembly Kit, Installed
Pro Rock 60 Nodular Iron Diff Cover, Installed
ARB Air Locker, 35 Spline, Installed, with ARB Kit
Ring & Pinion, 9.75-inch Diameter, Reverse-cut, 5.38 Ratio, Installed
Dynatrac JK Pro Series 60, 35-Spline 1.5-inch Front Inner and Outer Axleshaft Assembly Kit with 1480 U-Joints, Installed
Dynatrac JK ABS/ESP Sensor Mount and Billet Tone Ring, Installed
Big Brake 13.10-inch Rotors with Dual-Piston Brake Calipers
1350 U-bolt Style Driveshaft Input Yoke
New, OEM Ball Joints, Installed
New, OEM Upper Control-Arm Bushings, Installed

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug

The wife is absolutely not sold on $10k for an axle so the XD60 is out. It's now between a prorock 60 and a UD60 front. I've seen so many weld issues that I feel it might be worth giving up a .25 diameter in tubing and 10" ring gear to go with a prorock. It's been proven time and time again. "Giving up". Lol...it's a prorock 60 for gosh sakes

The "normal" prorock is selling for a damn good price right now and Im going to buy something next week,

Here is what is selling for $7500. Are there options I need to consider that aren't included below?

Custom Machined Dynatrac ProRock 60® High-Ground Clearance, High-Pinion Front Axle
Alloy-steel End Forgings
Wheel End Kits with Dynatrac Stub Hub™ and Heat-Treated Chromoly Spindles for Ultimate Outer Axle Strength Kept Tucked Tight Inside the Wheels
Warn Locking Hubs
68.5-inch Axle Width
Heavy-Duty 3.125-inch Diameter, 0.500-inch Wall Draw-Over-Mandrel (DOM) Axle Tubing
Dynatrac JK Pro Series 60, 35-Spline 1.5-inch Front Inner and Outer Axleshaft Assembly Kit with 1480 U-Joints, Installed
Not sure where you live or how hard you wheel, but pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

I would get the dynatrac prosteer ball joints, not the OEM, as they are way better and rebuildable.

That was the only thing that caught my attention.

Oh and as a bonus, looks like your dropped the Eaton E locker!

Last edited:

mastrcruse

Not sure where you live or how hard you wheel, but pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

I would get the dynatrac prosteer ball joints, not the OEM, as they are way better and rebuildable.

That was the only thing that caught my attention.

Oh and as a bonus, looks like your dropped the Eaton E locker!

Thanks! Interestingly enough, Dynatrac recommended the Eaton since I'm running rear electronic. Calling Steve for the final time today to get full specs and determine the axle I'm buying...then I'm pulling the trigger. Too much back and forth with options while buying axles haha.

jorgelrod

Hooked

The wife is absolutely not sold on $10k for an axle so the XD60 is out. It's now between a prorock 60 and a UD60 front. I've seen so many weld issues that I feel it might be worth giving up a .25 diameter in tubing and 10" ring gear to go with a prorock. It's been proven time and time again. "Giving up". Lol...it's a prorock 60 for gosh sakes ��

Alloy-steel End Forgings
Warn Locking Hubs
68.5-inch Axle Width

I wouldn't think you could go wrong with a PR60, if it's good enough for Moby, it will be good for you too. Don't sweat it bro...

The PR60s are a thing of beauty right out of the box. The only thing to consider (and really not an issue whatsoever) is the tie rod that comes with the PR60. It's not as beefy as I would have thought, but I'm gonna run it until it needs to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rockwell

The PR60s are a thing of beauty right out of the box. The only thing to consider (and really not an issue whatsoever) is the tie rod that comes with the PR60. It's not as beefy as I would have thought, but I'm gonna run it until it needs to be replaced.

I noticed that about the tie rod too, doesn't look like it will last long in the rock gardens around here, who makes a beefy tie rod that fits a prorock?

mastrcruse

When I need to replace it, I'll get another synergy tie rod. It took a good beating on my PR44, so I'll roll with it.

I was set on the UD60 because of the price and not being able to sell a 10k axle to the wife. I have a new tie rod being delivered today but its setup for the UD60 (stock length).

My guess is I couldn't use this for the PR60. Thoughts?

I'm really not sure why I didn't look into the PR60. I know Moby is running it and it gets the shit beat out of it lol.

There was something particular about the axle shafts that Eddie mentions. I can't remember that recommendation though.

Jackal01

I noticed that about the tie rod too, doesn't look like it will last long in the rock gardens around here, who makes a beefy tie rod that fits a prorock?
Look into WFO. It is what I have on my PR44. I did have synergy and I wasn't impressed nor did I like how flopped around which resulted in havijg to buy their misalignment spacer things.

20170627_113828%7E2.jpg

mastrcruse

I've just gotta say, Steve at Dynatrac is the man.

So the XD60 is within my price range, however, it includes the 1480 vs. the new 1550 wheel ends. So its a PR60 but with the XD60 upgrades (pumpkin, ring gear etc.). Seems like a perfect medium and the one I'll be going with.

jorgelrod

Hooked

So the XD60 is within my price range, however, it includes the 1480 vs. the new 1550 wheel ends. So its a PR60 but with the XD60 upgrades (pumpkin, ring gear etc.). Seems like a perfect medium and the one I'll be going with.

Nice, good call...

tgoss

I mean, you made this thread 2 months ago.... why not just save the slightest bit more to get the fully loaded XD60? Trust me dude I have a feeling you'll regret not waiting a little longer.

I wanted to jump off a bridge when I picked up my axles and saw that axle fully assembled. Makes my new set look like twigs.

Ddays

Hooked

I've been on the phone with him several times and he's been great to deal with. Dynatrac overall is a standup, great company. Not true of many others out there. :grayno:

Top Bottom