Frustrated! Manual or Automatic

4x4

LOL!! Is that a fact. I suppose the proper differential is an open one as well. Lockers are for pussys :yup:

Funny, I get the feeling that some people like you are so insecure, they get a manual so that they feel more like a man and make their very first post on a forum like this by putting down others who choose to drive an automatic. ;)

The anti-stall was a feature since the JK came out in 2007. So long as you leave it in 1st and don't touch the brake, your Jeep will keep on going. It was great and I used it all the time but really, that's a moot point. No matter how you try to convince yourself that a manual is better on the rocks, it simply isn't and again, it is the reason why EVERY professional off road racer runs an automatic.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE.

Didn't think I put anyone down.. :thinking:

Kind of makes my point though.

Jtmw

Well, that's just the thing. For me, there's more to wheeling than just crawling and even at that, I personally do enjoy wheeling a manual. Certainly, it's a lot more fun but, if you've ever wheeled a JK with an automatic and an Atlas II and on the exact same technical obstacle, I think you'd find that doing it with an auto is much "easier". This is the reason why EVERY professional off road racer runs an auto and NOT a manual.

Having said all that, I really prefer a manual in really deep or slick mud where I want to be in a specific gear more tire spin and keep it there. In a place like Redbird, Indiana, this is how I was able to get up some of the toughest obstacles where others could not as their autos would end up shifting at all the wrong times. When we were in Elby, Washington with our new 6.2 LS and automatic transmission, we would have loved to have been able to start in 2nd gear and keep it there but unfortunately, that wasn't something we could do. Fortunately, Motech is working on this for us and, once they've got it figured out, I'll probably like our auto even more. I also prefer a manual on steep hill descents IF I'm not running an Atlas.

I live in the south, similar terrain to your heartland run In Indiana. I think your point about staying in a gear is the exact reason why I like it so much. Thank you for a detailed response. Wayalife fanboy out here in the East.

Top Bottom