Frustrated! Manual or Automatic

TheStick

The best part of an auto is getting a little break on the trail when you watch the manual continue to stall on a tough obstacle. :cheesy:

Jtmw

First off, I would highly recommend that you nix the 2011 from your list and just look for a 2012-up. The 2011 was a bad year for the JK in that it still has the old 3.8L motor but, has a different computer. Screws everything up for you in terms of upgrades.

Second, for where you live and the kind of wheeling you have at your finger tips, I would highly recommend an automatic and, to be clear, this is coming from a guy who had been wheeling manuals for the better part of 20 years and love them. When it comes to the rocks, wheeling an auto is just so much easier, my wife and I call it cheating. It literally is the difference between wheeling with an open diff and one that is locked up.

I'm curious of your opinion when a manual is better/preferred. I ran an Atlas II in my TJ and it was a 5-spd, I like the control alot more than with my previous auto. Just looking for your perspective. :)

hbkid22

Like all have said its all preference but one thing I think that gets overlooked is if you have a family, can your significant other drive a manual? My wife did have one when she first got a car but has not driven a manual for a long time and does not want to anymore.....When I have needed her vehicle it makes things tricky as I cant leave her with the jeep....I know some will say that is silly but I would consider it....If its only you driving then no big deal.....I have a manual and we make it work and yes an auto would be easier on rocks but its fun and in 4Lo those things are pretty hard to stall.....

HILLZ

Auto is great for in the sand and dunes too, just point and squirt. No chasing gears at awkward times, i love my JKU auto. 😍😍😍

Conroyski

If it's your daily driver, get the auto... Manuals are more fun, when all you do is have fun. Sometimes you gotta work and just go through the motions. I knew I wanted an auto, manuals were fun in my 20s but I know from that experience I don't want one now. As far as off road, I don't rock crawl but I can imagine how an auto would allow you to avoid stalls if you aren't working your ass off clutching and shifting.

Armydog

Auto is great for in the sand and dunes too, just point and squirt. No chasing gears at awkward times, i love my JKU auto. 😍😍😍

Hillz, sorry mate I should not pick a fight with an Aussie BUT............automatics are cheating! Just my opinion, but it's all good as long as it's a jeep and not a defender!! Just poking fun at ya..

spicoli

It's all preference, get what you like. If you want a manual be prepared you might have to order it to get the features you want if new or be ready to act fast if hunting for used that are priced right.
I like manuals and will continue to drive one. I like the control over the gearing and the connection i get when I drive a manual.

Get what you like, the new autos work well so there really isn't a performance difference anymore. I know when I sell cars I have an easy time selling my manuals because manual guys hunt them out. If resale means anything to you, with the used market there are tons of autos so you have more competition. I keep my vehicles long enough I don't care about resale.

4x4

Manual is the proper transmission for a Jeep. Moreover in importance than some of the other things you'll hear complained about - 4 doors, hardtop, v6 etc.. If that's what you want, one don't settle for less. I get the feeling that some people feel guilty about getting an auto Jeep, and you see that in a lot of the responses here.

Also understand that the new JKs come with an anti-stall feature. And especially with the Rubicon's gearing is a incredible feature increasing capability beyond what was previously standard.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm currently in the market for a 2011-2015 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I live in southern Utah so I've been searching Las Vegas, Arizon and southern California. I had my heart set on a manual tranny but it's so hard to find very many choices. WHY,WHY. WHY did they build so many with automatics. I do want to play a lot in the dirt with it. What are the pros/cons of auto vs manual?

This is just my .02 and not meant to start a flamefest, it is merely my personal opinion. I love manuals. Would never buy a sports car without one, even if the dual clutch units are faster. All my sports cars (2 M3s, an S4, and my s2000) are manuals. There is something special rowing through a tight gearbox, nailing a shift on a canyon road, etc.

With the Jeep however, the manual is probably the worst in the industry, is rather problematic, and not nearly as reliable and "tried and true" as the 5 speed Auto available in the 2012+ models. The clutch is not particularly pleasant, the shifter is like a piece of farm equipment, and there is no "fun" to be had in it. Furthermore, since the 2012+ autos have manual gear selection/hold, the manual LITERALLY has zero advantage over the auto, and a bunch of negatives.

My opinion....manual in a sports car? I wouldn't even think twice. Manual in a Jeep? I don't see a single positive reason why you would want one...but again, just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious of your opinion when a manual is better/preferred. I ran an Atlas II in my TJ and it was a 5-spd, I like the control alot more than with my previous auto. Just looking for your perspective. :)

Well, that's just the thing. For me, there's more to wheeling than just crawling and even at that, I personally do enjoy wheeling a manual. Certainly, it's a lot more fun but, if you've ever wheeled a JK with an automatic and an Atlas II and on the exact same technical obstacle, I think you'd find that doing it with an auto is much "easier". This is the reason why EVERY professional off road racer runs an auto and NOT a manual.

Having said all that, I really prefer a manual in really deep or slick mud where I want to be in a specific gear more tire spin and keep it there. In a place like Redbird, Indiana, this is how I was able to get up some of the toughest obstacles where others could not as their autos would end up shifting at all the wrong times. When we were in Elby, Washington with our new 6.2 LS and automatic transmission, we would have loved to have been able to start in 2nd gear and keep it there but unfortunately, that wasn't something we could do. Fortunately, Motech is working on this for us and, once they've got it figured out, I'll probably like our auto even more. I also prefer a manual on steep hill descents IF I'm not running an Atlas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Manual is the proper transmission for a Jeep. Moreover in importance than some of the other things you'll hear complained about - 4 doors, hardtop, v6 etc.. If that's what you want, one don't settle for less.

LOL!! Is that a fact. I suppose the proper differential is an open one as well. Lockers are for pussys :yup:

I get the feeling that some people feel guilty about getting an auto Jeep, and you see that in a lot of the responses here.

Funny, I get the feeling that some people like you are so insecure, they get a manual so that they feel more like a man and make their very first post on a forum like this by putting down others who choose to drive an automatic. ;)

Also understand that the new JKs come with an anti-stall feature. And especially with the Rubicon's gearing is a incredible feature increasing capability beyond what was previously standard.

The anti-stall was a feature since the JK came out in 2007. So long as you leave it in 1st and don't touch the brake, your Jeep will keep on going. It was great and I used it all the time but really, that's a moot point. No matter how you try to convince yourself that a manual is better on the rocks, it simply isn't and again, it is the reason why EVERY professional off road racer runs an automatic.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, bad asses only drive manual transmissions. :cheesy: I'm surprised you can even get an auto with 4wd. ;)

JKWrang

I got a manual because i like driving a manual. Off road though i feel like an auto is a better option. I still prefer the manual for on road driving though which is where i am 99% of the time

David1tontj

I have a six speed manual.. I like it, but I also know that it is not the best for rocks. I personally like the added challenge that it gives to rockcrawling, an auto feels too easy! but If I was competing, I would have an auto.

My other pros to a manual-
This is the biggest one for me.....

You can push start it!!!!!!!!

I go off In The woods hunting and even wheeling sometimes solo.. I like to park on a slight incline just in case...

Also- several times my daughter has turned on my cb without me knowing and when I go to turn on the jeep... Nothing. I have a small hill on my driveway, so I just bump start it by myself and every time, I am happy to have a manual and it doesn't even add 30 seconds to my morning..

Lastly- being a manual, not everyone can drive it.. I like this and dislike it.

My feelings are that if you can't even drive a manual, you have no business driving my jeep. (the list of approved drivers is super short anyway)

My wife however, does not feel comfortable without auto.. She can and has driven it, but just doesn't like to. This is a con for me.

David1tontj

Also- I hated my manual Tj when I had to tow strap my brothers jk a few miles into town one time. The key to towing on a strap is to have smooth power and not let the line get any slack..... Ummmmmm. Try that with a manual... I was skipping gears just to prevent that awful jerking o the strap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a six speed manual.. I like it, but I also know that it is not the best for rocks. I personally like the added challenge that it gives to rockcrawling, an auto feels too easy! but If I was competing, I would have an auto.

Agreed. It is for this that I often miss having a manual. Again, wheeling an auto is like cheating.

My other pros to a manual-
This is the biggest one for me.....

You can push start it!!!!!!!!

This is definitely a pro but one that I've yet to need - YET :shock:

Lastly- being a manual, not everyone can drive it.. I like this and dislike it.

My feelings are that if you can't even drive a manual, you have no business driving my jeep. (the list of approved drivers is super short anyway)

This is a big con for me. There are a lot of times where I'm spotting or filming and being that I'm typically the lead vehicle, it's nice to just leave the keys in the ignition and have someone, anyone move my Jeep forward if needed. With a manual, you need to find the right person or stop what you're doing to move it myself. Also, in a JK, you can start your engine with your manual transmission in 1st gear and without having to push the clutch in. There is no safety for this as it's a benefit to have on the rocks. The problem is, for someone who doesn't know this, you can potentially run someone over - this almost happened to me when I was working on the power steering system on a friend's Jeep. I asked another guy to start the motor and him not being familiar with a manual, got the motor going as well as the Jeep and it near about ran me over. Of course, around town, it makes your Jeep a bit harder to steal.

David1tontj

Also, in a JK, you can start your engine with your manual transmission in 1st gear and without having to push the clutch in. There is no safety for this as it's a benefit to have on the rocks. The problem is, for someone who doesn't know this, you can potentially run someone over - this almost happened to me when I was working on the power steering system on a friend's Jeep. I asked another guy to start the motor and him not being familiar with a manual, got the motor going as well as the Jeep and it near about ran me over. Of course, around town, it makes your Jeep a bit harder to steal.

I have had a couple old trucks that were like that, and I learned real quick if you pulled into a normal parking spot- to not leave It in first gear, rather reverse, because if you forgot, you might lunge into the car in front of you!

That is shocking to me that they do that! That does seem dangerous! I'm guessing/hoping this only happens in 4 low?

The Tj has a clutch sensor switch that makes you have to push it in to start the jeep. I was easily able to add a switch that gives the option of bypassing that option in case I want to start in gear.

I haven't found it being a problem on the trail as most of the guys I wheel with are capable of driving it, but I totally see it being a disadvantage in larger groups and especially in your circumstance where you are always filming/spotting.

David1tontj

Manual is the proper transmission for a Jeep.

Just a thought.. I don't know for sure..

I'm guessing another reason that the original jeeps didn't have autos- I'm not sure they were long enough wheelbase to fit an auto tranny without having tiny driveshafts???

Just a thought.

Top Bottom