Full Float 44 Rear

J

JKDream

Well, on a ProRock 60, you also get the bigger stronger housing, high clearance proprietary differential and bigger shafts and really, running 37's, I never had any problems. It was only when I was running 40x15.50's that I started bending flanges and then broke a shaft. I still would take it over this silly full float 44.

For sure, I would without question as well.
Good points on the above.
I was pondering this actually myself as a 35 spline rear is almost what a PR60 costs me because of the currency conversion.

Anyway, back to this weird thread about FF 44's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming this is a true full float, it seems like the only advantage over a regular 44 is that you're not going to bend flanges any more because the weight of the Jeep is no longer directly on the shaft. But it's a $2k upgrade, and most will need to drop another $1500 or so on new wheels with an 8 lug pattern. So $3500 just to avoid bent flanges. You can by a lot of replacement shafts for $3500.

Yup. Also, what do you do about the front? Unless you run an 8-lug free spin hub setup (which aren't exactly cheap), you're still gonna be stuck with a 5x5 bolt pattern there. Even if you could run wheel adapters, you'd have a front axle that'd be too wide. This whole full float 44 thing is beyond silly to me.

holliewood61

It was fairly popular back in the day to full float 44's or full float m20's in cj's with lock out hubs on the rear. It made them super efficient to flat tow with none of the drivetrain spinning while in tow.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was fairly popular back in the day to full float 44's or full float m20's in cj's with lock out hubs on the rear. It made them super efficient to flat tow with none of the drivetrain spinning while in tow.

Of course, this was important to do this why? Because they were running gear driven transfer cases like a Dana 300.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yup. Also, what do you do about the front? Unless you run an 8-lug free spin hub setup (which aren't exactly cheap), you're still gonna be stuck with a 5x5 bolt pattern there. Even if you could run wheel adapters, you'd have a front axle that'd be too wide. This whole full float 44 thing is beyond silly to me.

Actually TF has a front kit too.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5643bade56d70ed4930a500f

So for another $3500, problem solved. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Like I said, "unless you run an 8-lug free spin hub setup" like what TeraFlex makes, you're up a creek without a paddle. That "cheap" rear conversion sure has a way of adding up quickly. :crazyeyes:

Yep. Actually though, in fairness to TF, I see my math was faulty cuz I double counted the cost of new wheels. So $5500 instead of $7000 all in. Starting to sound like a good deal after all. [emoji848]

Ddays

Hooked
I'm surprised so many people upgrade the rear housing to a SF 60 though, I never really understood that.

If you are talking about the current package pricing from Dynatrac, then you are absolutely correct. But as recently as last year this time those packages were significantly higher. I paid more for my PR44/PR60 SF pair by far than the current 60/60 offering. IIRC, the PR44/PR60FF combo was in the $15k range when I bought my pair back in 2015. There were no packages then other than what dealers were offering.

Now had I talked to Dynatrac directly instead of buying my set from a former vendor here that rhymes with Northridge 4x4, well, maybe I would have chosen differently or been given different advice. I'll never know the answer to that, but when I bent my flange last year the folks at Dynatrac were surprised that it happened. They covered it under a warranty that had expired by a couple months and I've been careful not to put myself into a situation like I was before where I squeezed into a spot narrower than my Jeep was. So far so good with several wheeling trips since then.

iRonin

I'm surprised so many people upgrade the rear housing to a SF 60 though, I never really understood that.

I'm one of those guys but then, that was something like 8 years ago and before that, nobody was running full float but more because none of us knew any better.

I'll admit folks these days don't necessarily know better either - or we might, but have budget constraints that make dropping 13k+ to get PR60s all done at once feasible. The D30 front usually becomes the top priority to swap unless you're going to spend time/money/effort reinforcing. :grayno: Otherwise, early on a PR44 looks really attractive up through 37" meats. giving you a front locker, only really having to beef up rear shafts/driveshafts, and being able to maintain track width and a 5x5 bolt pattern vs. the stock rear. This is what sets the stage for alternating upgrades between the front and rear axle that makes going full float, 8 lug rear awkward to achieve later on. The progression instead lends itself to a less expensive SF 60 rear on a 5x5 which ends up matching back to the PR44 front, while giving you the rear locker and plenty of strength to wheel 37s indefinitely.

At least... that was my plan until I caught the bug to go bigger. :daydream: So personally, I'll probably end up earmarking a buyer for my PR44/XD60SF as a solution over stock and then using that $ towards an XD 60/60FF combo. (Bonus if they buy my slabs to go with it, otherwise they go on the wife's jeep :cheesy: )

fiend

Caught the Bug
Interesting this topic being brought up as I just installed axles with their kit. If it fails, it fails and lesson will be learned. Well, depends on what fails. I mean, a solid setup for many is a D44 rear and Pr44 front. So making both full float seems like it wouldnt be any worse. I was skeptical before I went all in however seeing it work in person and swapping teraflexes shafts for Nitro and Moser 35 spline shafts I am more confident. So now just the bearings, rotor, etc are TF. If I had a rubi and was only swapping internals over and getting tires I wouldn't have done it. But I was starting fresh with everything in the pr44. Tacking on tires was another couple grand. Then hydro assist and I wasn't much less than what I paid for what I got. I think if someone is in the market for something this serious one of dynatracs axle packages is ideal most likely. Like I said, this "deal" came at the right time for me. Since I hadnt seen it before on here or anywhere i was wanting to give it a try. I'm wheeling it this weekend and I will update if there's anything to report.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

All kidding aside, let us know how the set up works for you.

jorgelrod

Hooked
There's probably a reason why TF is the only one making a 30 front axle housing too.

Sad part is there's people buying it...

At least... that was my plan until I caught the bug to go bigger. :daydream: So personally, I'll probably end up earmarking a buyer for my PR44/XD60SF as a solution over stock and then using that $ towards an XD 60/60FF combo. (Bonus if they buy my slabs to go with it, otherwise they go on the wife's jeep :cheesy: )

Is that XD60 SF low pinion or HP?

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Do they make a full float kit for the front? I've always seen it as a waste in my opinion. Too each their own. I'd save another grand and find a used pr 60. Yeah it's semi float, but still stronger than that set up on a 44

aermotor

To me the only thing I see is smart people who know how to make something people will buy, and increase their profits. Too bad the end user is the one who gets burned.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Do they make a full float kit for the front? I've always seen it as a waste in my opinion. Too each their own. I'd save another grand and find a used pr 60. Yeah it's semi float, but still stronger than that set up on a 44

Front axles are by definition full float, but yes, I believe they make an 8 Lug kit for the front.

Journeyman

Imagine this conversation about your jeep to fellow jeep enthusiasts.
Whoa man you've get eight lug full float bro. What kind of axles are those? One tons right! No dude these are the stock d44 axles that I put 8 lug full float outers on....and bought these new bad ass eight lug wheels to go with them! I'm so bad ass I needed to roll with the big dogs and their extra lug nuts.
You don't want to be that dude!
I actually had a jku at tierra del sol park next to me that had this exact kit front and rear. I was impressed until I actually discovered what it was. Old man who won't go off-road anyways. Basically he got a 6k free spin kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sad part is there's people buying it...

To me the only thing I see is smart people who know how to make something people will buy, and increase their profits. Too bad the end user is the one who gets burned.

TeraFlex is good at marketing their China made junk and there are plenty of vendors who can make a good profit selling them. Unfortunately, a lot of people simply don't know what to question and ultimately buy whatever they've been sold on.

Yes, they make a free spin kit and a link was posted earlier. A total waste of money for a 44 front axle or at least, in my opinion and this is regardless of who makes it.

Whoa man you've get eight lug full float bro. What kind of axles are those? One tons right! No dude these are the stock d44 axles that I put 8 lug full float outers on....and bought these new bad ass eight lug wheels to go with them! I'm so bad ass I needed to roll with the big dogs and their extra lug nuts.
I actually had a jku at tierra del sol park next to me that had this exact kit front and rear. I was impressed until I actually discovered what it was. Old man who won't go off-road anyways. Basically he got a 6k free spin kit.

Well, we all know there are guys who swear that they run 37's or even 40's on a Dana 30 and wheel the shit out of them and without any problems. I have no doubts that there will be guys who will swear they wheel the piss out of their TeraFlex full-float 44 rear axle and that it holds up great. And to that, all I can say is that we all have our own idea of what "hard" or "often" really is.

Journeyman

TeraFlex is good at marketing their China made junk and there are plenty of vendors who can make a good profit selling them. Unfortunately, a lot of people simply don't know what to question and ultimately buy whatever they've been sold on.

Yes, they make a free spin kit and a link was posted earlier. A total waste of money for a 44 front axle or at least, in my opinion and this is regardless of who makes it.

Well, we all know there are guys who swear that they run 37's or even 40's on a Dana 30 and wheel the shit out of them and without any problems. I have no doubts that there will be guys who will swear they wheel the piss out of their TeraFlex full-float 44 rear axle and that it holds up great. And to that, all I can say is that we all have our own idea of what "hard" or "often" really is.

Yup. To each their own. Great marketing and it keeps the off-road economy going when people spend their dough. Just glad it's not mine their spending!

holliewood61

All good points. I wheeled the shit out of mine on 35's and a front 30. After putting 3 d30's under it i stepped up to d44's and 37's. Guess what? I cant keep the 44's together either. Given i wheel these sloppy east coast trails that require a lot more skinny pedal and puts a lot more shock load on the drivetrain between gripping and slipping. Everything has its limitations. Full float or semi float. Made in usa or made in china. These things will only take so much. I could see the advantage of the full float just because its an easier fix to replace an axle not if but when you break one running 37"+ tires.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

Hahaha, yea, that really is a bummer.

Top Bottom