Gas Can Mounting System?

Jeeptime

Anybody have good experience with quality gas can mounting system for a 392 Rubicon with 35 on the back.

Honest question here but do you really need one?
What he said^

While I recently considered having extra fuel on board, and while it may "look cool" to some, I realized I've never actually needed spare fuel even after being on several multi-day trips. Plus, most Rotopax and Jerry cans hold a few gallons, and anyone even close to being low would probably get the hell back to civilization long before they need those few extra gallons. At least I would anyway.

Jeeptime

Do I need one, I guess not. Never came close to being low on the gauge. Thought if I ever was on a long haul might be handy. I guess that's what gas stations are for.:)
On the trails we have been on never ever used much gas or diesel. The runs are not that long. Even if they are all day runs, not much fuel being burnt going 15 MPH average. I never worry about the Diesel as that gauge seems like it never moves, a good thing. But that 392 is one thirsty guy, when the pedal is to the metal, on the trail it is fine.

We never enter a trail unless we fill up the tank. So for now I guess I will put it on the back burner or no worry about it. I just have seen a few videos with people running low. Of course they where more overlanding and far away from gas stations.

Thanks for the reassurance. Being new to Jeeping just trying to make sure we have everything covered. Have only been Jeeping for about one year.

We have been fortunate to belong to a local club in Las Vegas and have had some great runs with them. They have been fun and learned alot.

Trails we have done in the area are, Bitter Springs, Cottonwood trail, Carpenter Canyon, Wheeler's Pass, Mt Potosi, Logandale 13 mi loop, RockN the Narrows in Logandale. It was great getting our feet wet on these runs. Look forward to learning more about different type trails. I do not think we are ever going to do large Rock Crawling. I was very impressed with Eddie when he showed his stock jeep doing the rock crawl video.

Thanks again for the imput, that's why I am here to learn more.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Carrying fuel was a necessity for the JK6 before I had fabbed a larger tank...the 20 gal tank was never enough to get to the trailhead at either the Rubicon or Dusy-Ershim, run the trail, then off the trail to the nearest gas station. But I averaged 12 mpg on the road, and 2.5 on the trail...

My 392 has definitely the best gas milage of any of my jeeps...by far.

Anybody have good experience with quality gas can mounting system for a 392 Rubicon with 35 on the back.
Not personal experience, but AEV's steel bumper provides an option for a tire carrier which can carry 10 gallons. But if you really have need for so much fuel, explore adding a second tank under the Jeep.

=/=

I just use a 5 gallon can strapped to the side of the bed interior. I'd rather keep it simple, since I may need to move it around.

There are over 600 miles of trails in some of our local national forests, which have to be traveled very slowly so I don't want to go back out for fuel so I can see a need.

jeeeep

Hooked
Not personal experience, but AEV's steel bumper provides an option for a tire carrier which can carry 10 gallons. But if you really have need for so much fuel, explore adding a second tank under the Jeep.
I used to have the AEV tire rack mount, IMO it was a huge PIA.

During the summer the black plastic generates condensation, can't completely empty it out using the "siphon" hose and after getting as much of the fuel out, the hose had to be stored outside the Jeep in a bag so it wouldn't get covered with dirt nor give the occupants gas fume headaches. The cap does not lock, don't know if they've since fixed this and if you don't use it all summer, it generates enough condensation that you have to remove it to empty it out and let it dry out.

The last time I removed it to dry it out, I left it off and it now sits in my garage.

CalSgt

Hooked
How about the Rotopax that straps to the spare for the rare trip you may need it.. At least you can remove it easily.
^^^^ This

I’ve packed an extra 5 gallons on a few of my trips, more for insurance than anything. I’m always worried about the gas can leaking so I dump it in as soon as reasonably possible.

I don’t have one of the tire mounts because I’m a cheap ass. But I’ve seen them in action and they are my favorite fuel storage options

Rock Slide Engineering AC-TR-102S Ez Rack Kit/Basic/Steel Any Tire Size https://a.co/d/7hWGPMT

Top Bottom