Gear ratio for 35's

CarolinaJK

So I have an auto 3.6 and I'm about to move up to 35's. I have 3.73 gears. According to the chart I should be fine right until I can regear (about a year)? Bad for the trans?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So I have an auto 3.6 and I'm about to move up to 35's. I have 3.73 gears. According to the chart I should be fine right until I can regear (about a year)? Bad for the trans?

You'll feel a loss of power with the larger tires but it isn't bad for your trans. Don't forget the programmer to adjust your spedo and your shift points if you have an auto.

CarolinaJK

You'll feel a loss of power with the larger tires but it isn't bad for your trans. Don't forget the programmer to adjust your spedo and your shift points if you have an auto.

Thanks for the advice! Glad to hear that! [emoji106]

Thanks for the charts would you advise going for a ratio in the green or blue if it's a daily driver and gets chucked around the desert on a weekly basis?

hawklee

regarding the programmer..i know adjusting tire size will adjust the speedo, will it also adjust shift points or is that something else that has to be manually adjusted?

Coop

Caught the Bug
Make sure you take your programmer with you to the shop when you pick the jeep up! Otherwise the jeep will be very unhappy and go into limp mode! Made that mistake! Lol!

Yes don't worry I will be taking my programmer haha.

I have decided to go with the 4.56 was advices it will be best by the tuning shop that I am going to get the work done in

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
4:88 is a MUCH better gear ratio with 35's. I had 4:88's with my 35's and felt it was perfect. when I switched to 37's the jeep felt sluggish.

RoughRider

So I know this question has been asked a billion times but why not once more

I'm changing gears soon and have 35s
It's mainly a daily driver and am wondering if 4.56 will be better than 4.88

Heholua

So I know this question has been asked a billion times but why not once more

I'm changing gears soon and have 35s
It's mainly a daily driver and am wondering if 4.56 will be better than 4.88

With the manual transmission, 4.56s and 35s would be fine. If you had and automatic, I would suggest 4.88s.

mds22

What's the difference if you don't mind me asking

You get to choose what gear you are in. Can get away with a higher ratio by manually selecting(or staying in) a lower gear when needed. However on the highway you get the benefit of the 4.56 and lower rpms

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the factory 4.10s in my 2014 with an automatic and run 35s, I love it. I think it depends on your actual driving terrain also. For me a 4.56 or 4.88 and 35s would have my jeep around that 3k RPM mark at 75 MPH and I don't like that. I was between 2700 and 3000 on the factory 32s when running 75 on the highway. Sounded like it needed another gear all the time. So for me the 4.10s work great with 35s. It still gets up and runs, goes 75-80 down the highway, and will chirp a tire (barely) if you punch it.

However, when we went to Colorado and traveled between Durango, Silverton, etc. I was wishing for a deeper gear. In the mountains on the highway it was trying to stay in 2nd gear to keep speed. So if I were to move to Colorado and stayed on 35s I think I would definitely look at the 4.56s or 4.88s. Up on the passes in 4x4 it done great. It just struggled on the highway.

I went with the 4.56 Ratio and it is a great drive now on the road.
Doing some off-road testing this weekend but I expect it to work a treat!!

kfchris

I have the factory 4.10s in my 2014 with an automatic and run 35s, I love it. I think it depends on your actual driving terrain also. For me a 4.56 or 4.88 and 35s would have my jeep around that 3k RPM mark at 75 MPH and I don't like that. I was between 2700 and 3000 on the factory 32s when running 75 on the highway. Sounded like it needed another gear all the time. So for me the 4.10s work great with 35s. It still gets up and runs, goes 75-80 down the highway, and will chirp a tire (barely) if you punch it.

However, when we went to Colorado and traveled between Durango, Silverton, etc. I was wishing for a deeper gear. In the mountains on the highway it was trying to stay in 2nd gear to keep speed. So if I were to move to Colorado and stayed on 35s I think I would definitely look at the 4.56s or 4.88s. Up on the passes in 4x4 it done great. It just struggled on the highway.

I have a 2012 with 3.73 gears. I think with the swap to 35's I'll be "ok" but I've been seeing some gents put up stock 4.10 gear sets that i've thought about snagging up. low mile gears that were installed by the factory are probably just fine as long as they weren't torched. Living in the Charlotte area I don't see much mountains and I can deal with the sluggishness when I do. Also have an auto (not by choice I was limited by selection at time of purchase) and thought that the 35's with 4.10 ratio would be good. Thanks for the confirmation!

Top Bottom