Gearing for 35s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's the difference between the 3.8L and the 3.6L.

Yup, that's the difference right there.

This is my main concern. I know I don't "have" to. But for he sake of my clutch and engine. I should shouldn't I? What range of gears. Or whats the highest ratio I can go in a D-30/44 combo

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, I would. Being that you're running a Dana 30 front, I personally would run a 4.88 as it'll bring you back up to stock performance and be stronger. 5.13 will give you more power but, you may not even need it with a 6-speed.

MiJKguy

3 in with 35'2

3 inch zone lift with 35 Nitto trail grapplers on stock 2007 2dr jk X engine, I suppose 3.21 should I be driving with OD on or off????

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
3 inch zone lift with 35 Nitto trail grapplers on stock 2007 2dr jk X engine, I suppose 3.21 should I be driving with OD on or off????

Even if you had 3.73's, I think you would be hard pressed to get your Jeep to do much with the OD on.

PlenaBarba

Just took this video. Thought it would give you guys an idea of 35's and 3.21s.

Just some info. I've got a 2 dr with no add-ons except a fullsize spare. I run without the backseat, so its basically stock sprung weight.

I live in Louisiana so elevation is around sea level and this is on a flat road. Add hills and things get even more sluggish. I've got 4.88's that will be getting installed in February. I've been running like this since October.

ssh6314

Yup, that's the difference right there.

Yes, I would. Being that you're running a Dana 30 front, I personally would run a 4.88 as it'll bring you back up to stock performance and be stronger. 5.13 will give you more power but, you may not even need it with a 6-speed.

I do wheel In this exotic state of Washington, is a 4.88 gonna give me enough pinion to still be durable? I know once things start stepping into the 5.xx range. things start getting cramped in a Dana 30

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do wheel In this exotic state of Washington, is a 4.88 gonna give me enough pinion to still be durable? I know once things start stepping into the 5.xx range. things start getting cramped in a Dana 30

In a Dana 30, yes, you will have enough teeth with a 4.88 to help keep the R&P strong. You can run 5.13's but, only if you leave your front diff open.

t.l.harris

jk_ratio-chart-12.jpg

This should help!

ssh6314

In a Dana 30, yes, you will have enough teeth with a 4.88 to help keep the R&P strong. You can run 5.13's but, only if you leave your front diff open.

Just to clarify. Not putting a locker in the diff?

TacPen

Banned
is it better for the engine or does it not make a dif?

Driving with OD off is fine, assuming you're not reving the sh@t out of it, no harm to your engine. Lugging the engine (low RPM and high load) is bad for your engine.

Top Bottom