Gibson headers

Rubicon310

This is not relevant to JK's but when I had headers installed on my Tacoma, I saw a big improvement in engine performance. But like others have said, I had a shit ton of leaks, bolts coming loose etc. I had mixed feelings after I installed them because they were high maintenance and loud.

I'd also be interested in seeing dyno results.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well not all of us have a dyno around. I'm sure you can appreciate that. I live in a small town and getting someone to throw your vehicle on a dyno isn't cheap. Anyone that was in my Jeep before and after noticed a difference without my saying. So no I don't have graph proof, but hey, my word must mean nothing, right? He asked our opinions and thoughts, I gave them to him. If I need proof that it made a difference then please show proof that it makes no difference with my specific headers.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. Never said your word means nothing, in fact, you yourself just got done saying, and I quote, "I would not recommend that (headers) just for more power". Unless I'm missing something, whatever power gains you believe you're getting, it clearly not even enough to you to make a difference. And, I would agree :yup:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Touché, I just did not want this guy to believe it made no difference. In that quote I was speaking of the plug wires. But I would say the same for headers. They solved several of my issues and that worked out for me with the plus side of getting a bit more power to get out of the way.

Rubicon310

. So I ended up melting a stock wire and just went ahead and order the entire jba set, and yes I saw the slightest amount of difference there, although I would not recommend that just for more power....

I think he was referring to the slight improvement from switching to the jba wires on top of the bigger improvement from the headers. He's not recommending just switching the wires for improvement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Touché, I just did not want this guy to believe it made no difference. In that quote I was speaking of the plug wires. But I would say the same for headers. They solved several of my issues and that worked out for me with the plus side of getting a bit more power to get out of the way.

LOL!! Never said that headers wouldn't address the issues you had. And, if you want to split hairs about what you were saying, I'd like to point out that you also said, and I quote "Is it an incredible horsepower gain? Not at all", and I'm quite sure that was specifically in regards to headers. And again, I would agree 100%. It being enough "to tell a difference" is far from being worth the cost of headers or at least in my opinion, especially when MORE power is what the OP was looking for - NOT addressing issues like what you had.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Never said that headers wouldn't address the issues you had. And, if you want to split hairs about what you were saying, I'd like to point out that you also said, and I quote "Is it an incredible horsepower gain? Not at all", and I'm quite sure that was specifically in regards to headers. And again, I would agree 100%. It being enough "to tell a difference" is far from being worth the cost of headers or at least in my opinion, especially when MORE power is what the OP was looking for - NOT addressing issues like what you had.

Oh I'm not trying to split hairs, but rather assure that we're on the same page lol and yes I agree with what you are saying at this point.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
My headers cracked? Damn I just looked at them yesterday and didn't see that. Good eyes

Hopefully your headers are not cracked.

The only indication I had was a a slight rattling sound from the engine at start up and then once the exhaust system warmed up the rattling sound went away. I had looked for the source repeatedly but couldn't find it. When I removed the heat shields, I saw the cracks.

Here are a few pictures of the my old ('07) stock headers:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472877532.991194.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472877509.429438.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472877162.357304.jpg

Of the 7 cars I've owned in the past 20+ years, only my JK has had its headers crack. Maybe its the offroading or the runs to the mall... Given that I'm not the only person on this forum to experience this, I don't trust them enough to install them again. That is why I replaced them with an aftermarket set.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully your headers are not cracked.

The only indication I had was a a slight rattling sound from the engine at start up and then once the exhaust system warmed up the rattling sound went away. I had looked for the source repeatedly but couldn't find it. When I removed the heat shields, I saw the cracks.

Here are a few pictures of the my old ('07) stock headers:

Of the 7 cars I've owned in the past 20+ years, only my JK has had its headers crack. Maybe its the offroading or the runs to the mall... Given that I'm not the only person on this forum to experience this, I don't trust them enough to install them again. That is why I replaced them with an aftermarket set.

Cracked exhaust manifolds on 07-11 JK's is pretty common and even though I never had one crack on me in spite of having over 100,000 miles on the odometer, I have seen my fair share of cracked ones on other JK's. That being said, Jeep had increased the warranty on their manifolds to I believe 100,000 miles and if I had a Jeep with fewer miles than that, I personally would try to go that route first. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom