GMRS Licensing?

IGY6

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a GMRS Radio as that seems to be what most clubs and the off road community uses. I understand that this requires a license. I've looked all over the interwebs and asked just about everyone I know and I can't figure out how to get a license. the FCC website is an absolute maze that just reroutes you all over the place and I can't figure it out. Any help, links to actual licensing would be awesome. Thank you!

jamesrw30

A license is only "required" at higher wattages (I think they are referring to 50w). As far as getting one, couldn't tell you. I would agree with everyone else.

IGY6

One more question, for the radios, are the handheld ones sufficient for most wheeling trips or is a full Mobile kit mounted in the Jeep the way to go. I'm used to a CB for the most part but it seems most people around where I am have moved on from the ole trusty CB unfortunately.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One more question, for the radios, are the handheld ones sufficient for most wheeling trips or is a full Mobile kit mounted in the Jeep the way to go. I'm used to a CB for the most part but it seems most people around where I am have moved on from the ole trusty CB unfortunately.
It really is unfortunate but yes, most have moved away from CB. A hard mount will always give you the best performance and range but the handhelds get the job done. As I always say, if you really need to talk to someone on the next continent, are you really wheeling with them?

IGY6

It really is unfortunate but yes, most have moved away from CB. A hard mount will always give you the best performance and range but the handhelds get the job done. As I always say, if you really need to talk to someone on the next continent, are you really wheeling with them?
Haha I agree 100% with the wheeling comment. I have mostly used the CB for lead and tailgunners to keep the groups on pace and together.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha I agree 100% with the wheeling comment. I have mostly used the CB for lead and tailgunners to keep the groups on pace and together.
Yep, CB had always worked well for me but again, it's fallen way out of favor these days. I would argue, mainly because nobody could figure out how to set up and tune their antennas correctly.

IGY6

Yep, CB had always worked well for me but again, it's fallen way out of favor these days. I would argue, mainly because nobody could figure out how to set up and tune their antennas correctly.
Yes, tuning the CB is a night and day difference. With YouTube, I figured more people would look up how to tune them but it seems it's thought to be "an aging technology" for some reason. Oh well, adapt and overcome!

AZVAJKU

Hooked
The EJS runs at Moab still use CB and the reason given is the limited number of channels available on GMRS which would cause the multitude of simultaneous runs to ‘step on’ each other’s commz. I don’t know if that’s legit, however I have a CB so it’s all good.

Its my belief that lots of Jeepers are going to the GMRS and I was just reading about a new GMRS repeater set up on the Rubicon Trail.

I have a hand held GRMS but strangely enough I was just planning on adding a mobile unit to the JK before I head back west.

burnt clutch

In case you feel the need, here is the link. I got one several years ago. Probably won’t renew once it expires.

FYI, they reduced the fee down from $70 when I paid to $35 (for 10 years). They should just do away with it altogether.

Last edited:

SeaSharp

GP NOIR

Hooked
He breaks down how to get the license here:

You supposedly don't need to call out your callsign before transmitting except on a GMRS repeater (that's what I heard, I have not read any rules around it, but have seen it done on repeaters).

Will you get in trouble with the FCC for not having a license? Probably not. If anything they should fine all the truckers running 2000watt CB radios.
By regulations, you are to use your callsign at the end of transmissions and every fifteen minutes of transmissions. That is, you use your call sign when ending a conversation and every fifteen minutes during a conversation. It’s the same when using a repeater.

There are rules governing if and when a repeater needs to identify itself.

jamesrw30

I think the GMRS community is not as hard core about the license and call sign stuff as the HAM community is. If you're going to talk really long ranges and especially on repeaters I'd say get the license. There are 22 ( I believe) GMRS freqs available, they are all simplex. Only a certain nber of those 22 can be used as a repeater freq. Handheld radios should do most of everything you would ever want. You can get decent handheld radios for $20 or $30.

JDE22

A Baofeng handheld like the UV-5R can also be tuned to GMRS frequencies., along with many others. So it is a good option if you need something outside of the rig.

SeaSharp

If you just want to buy a Baofeng radio, $40, and just turn it on that requires no programming, this is the one I recommend. However, I would *still* get the gmrs antenna I list below because the one in the box is too small and doesn't work.

If you want to buy a Baofeng and program it yourself and dual as a ham and marine and gmrs and FM radio then buy this antenna and this radio:

https://amzn.to/3wE6tX6 (gmrs antenna)
https://amzn.to/3jhAdWU (triband radio)
https://amzn.to/3jhAdWU (programming cable)

There are 22 channels but the way they work is there are 8 repeater channels starting at channel 15. So there is a 15 simplex and a 15 repeater, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom