Go big, go little...Or go home?

OJK12

I know you stated you wanted to be able to do more trails and running 37's is costly but what about going to 35's? It would be a bigger tire without being so big to require so much modification. You could put on some EVO Rockstars and gain a lil more rear ground clearance there as well. Just my two cents but I have been able to do a lot of black trails with 35's and this setup even if it means stacking a few rocks. If you think you will end up on 37's anyway then just disregard my post but this would save you a lot and allow you to do more trails.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Is all this really needed to enjoy the outdoors? If so, go for it. For me, I'd feel content for about a week, then I'd probably want my $20 grand back.

Sent from my BNTV600 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Depends, for some people like myself - the drive into the outdoors and beyond is the experience I am looking for.
The scenery is just a bonus :D

Kyle7R

But being honest with myself, especially out with friends, I'm probably going to push a little, and maybe get myself in a bad spot, and start breaking things.
WAYALIFE mobile app

I have never once felt this way with any of my friends or wheeling buddies. Quite the opposite, actually.

Learning to wheel with a "smaller" rig makes for better experiences once you get a more and more capable rig, sort of growing together if you will.

My advice, slowly sock away and add parts to the Jeep. It will make the end result very satisfying.

Plus, if you take away the wife's vacation she might take away your newly built Jeep! ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Warrior's Lance

This kept naggy at me and I had to get out of bed just to post this.

I assume this is the Dynatrac axle you intend to buy?:
https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assem...trac-axle-sets/trail-leader-axle-package.html

Looking at and reading the webpage, I do not see that setup including any knuckles, unit bearings, brakes or axle shafts. You might want to confirm that with Dynatrac. I am not sure I would want to run 37s with factory D30 axle shafts. You might need to add a set of chromoly axle shafts to your build list.

J

JKDream

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assem...trac-axle-sets/trail-leader-axle-package.html

Looking at and reading the webpage, I do not see that setup including any knuckles, unit bearings, brakes or axle shafts. You might want to confirm that with Dynatrac. I am not sure I would want to run 37s with factory D30 axle shafts. You might need to add a set of chromoly axle shafts to your build list.

It comes assembled.
You have the option to either switch to Reid high steer knuckles, or reuse your factory knuckles.
Unit bearings are swapped over from the axle you are removing.

The BAD Influence

I know you stated you wanted to be able to do more trails and running 37's is costly but what about going to 35's? It would be a bigger tire without being so big to require so much modification. You could put on some EVO Rockstars and gain a lil more rear ground clearance there as well. Just my two cents but I have been able to do a lot of black trails with 35's and this setup even if it means stacking a few rocks. If you think you will end up on 37's anyway then just disregard my post but this would save you a lot and allow you to do more trails.

This has been suggested by several people. Originally I refused to go with 35s as it was to be my wife's DD and I didn't want the expense of regearing. Also, I didn't have any idea how much we were going to be getting into this. We've definitely caught the bug.
3 reasons I feel 35s isn't the answer for me. 1) I've read several posts on this forum with an over riding theme "my only regret of 37s is not going straight to them and wasting time with 35s" 2) being out with friends on 37s or larger and seeing how much more they can do 3) my son's truck has 35s. Sitting next to the Jeep in the driveway, there's such little difference in his tires and the Jeep, I feel like I'd only gain about 1/2 inch of clearance.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

Thank you for your input, and sorry for interrupting your sleep. I believe you're correct. So now my dilemma is to add the better shafts and knuckles, or stop wasting time and get their 60/60 combo.

The BAD Influence

I have never once felt this way with any of my friends or wheeling buddies. Quite the opposite, actually.

Learning to wheel with a "smaller" rig makes for better experiences once you get a more and more capable rig, sort of growing together if you will.

My advice, slowly sock away and add parts to the Jeep. It will make the end result very satisfying.

Plus, if you take away the wife's vacation she might take away your newly built Jeep! ;)

Good advice. Don't get me wrong, not blaming peer pressure or putting this on my friends. This is on me. Yes, driving slower, picking lines, learning are all well and fine. That's what I've been doing. This is my issue, call it being competitive, call it thrill seeking... IDK. I do enjoy our time wheeling, just deep down I know that if I try to save money now and run 37s on my D30, I'm going to end up pushing too far and breaking something.

The BAD Influence

I think I need to rethink this. After all this is my wife's daily driver. Going to just stay with the 33s for awhile. Maybe 35s, but only after the 33s wear out.
So here's hopefully my final question: Is purchasing a set of Rubicon axles with lockers and 4:10 worth purchasing for $3,500 or just regear and put a locker in the rear?
My reason for asking, I've read several posts on this forum about the UD44 not being all that much stronger than the D30 and the lockers are known to break. So if I'm not getting that much more strength, I could regear, add c gussets, rear locker and be content.

Kyle7R

I think I need to rethink this. After all this is my wife's daily driver. Going to just stay with the 33s for awhile. Maybe 35s, but only after the 33s wear out.
So here's hopefully my final question: Is purchasing a set of Rubicon axles with lockers and 4:10 worth purchasing for $3,500 or just regear and put a locker in the rear?
My reason for asking, I've read several posts on this forum about the UD44 not being all that much stronger than the D30 and the lockers are known to break. So if I'm not getting that much more strength, I could regear, add c gussets, rear locker and be content.

I might be wrong, but I think that amount could buy you a PR44 or close to it.

If your end goal is 37's I say hold off, and do it right once.

I might be wrong, but I think that amount could buy you a PR44 or close to it.

If your end goal is 37's I say hold off, and do it right once.

What Kyle said. If you're at all thinking about 37s, save up for a prorock which will not be much more expensive than that. Sounds like you're not in a rush, so definitely do it once and right.

The BAD Influence

I've scrapped the 37s idea. Staying small. Have an opportunity to pick up some Rubicon axles, and just wondering if they're really worth it. If I stay on 33s, only put a locker in the rear, regear, seems like I can save a bunch of money. Especially if the UD 44 isn't all that and a bag of chips anyway.

Heavyhaul07

Ud 44 is different than a pr 44. I have a rubicon and they are basically a Dana 30. The ring and pinion are larger than a 30 and the axle tubes are a little thicker. The axles are a bit stronger than a 30. The knuckles and the c's are the same as a 30.

Top Bottom