Going to 40s and I am confused

SDG

Caught the Bug
I don't see how raising the Jeep on the coilover's is going to help. The axle sweeps back as the suspension extends and forward as it stuffs. You need to set the control arm length at full stuff, not centered under the wheel wells.

I think you have that reversed.

aTX427

I think you have that reversed.

A stock Jeep has flat control arms and when you lift it they angle down towards the axle. If control arm length remains constant, did you increase or decrease the wheelbase after the lift?

SDG

Caught the Bug
A stock Jeep has flat control arms and when you lift it they angle down towards the axle. If control arm length remains constant, did you increase or decrease the wheelbase after the lift?
Screenshot_20170831-102428.jpg

Wheelbase decreases as suspension droops, which I believe is contrary to what you were saying.

black pearl

Hooked
View attachment 274809

Wheelbase decreases as suspension droops, which I believe is contrary to what you were saying.

I see what atx is saying , when you install a lift you are pushing the axel down and frame up, which is the same effect as suspension droop. This would decrease wheel base (not much). When it stuffs the front axel will move forward, the rear will move backwards, increasing wheel base. With short arms the numbers move faster as they have a tighter arc. It's not as drastic as what long arms would do with a slower arc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
I see what atx is saying , when you install a lift you are pushing the axel down and frame up, which is the same effect as suspension droop. This would decrease wheel base (not much). When it stuffs the front axel will move forward, the rear will move backwards, increasing wheel base. With short arms the numbers move faster as they have a tighter arc. It's not as drastic as what long arms would do with a slower arc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Exactly. I was simply commenting that I think he was reversed in his original statment saying that it grew when dropping and shrunk when stuffed. Unless I misunderstood his wording.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Exactly. I was simply commenting that I think he was reversed in his original statment saying that it grew when dropping and shrunk when stuffed. Unless I misunderstood his wording.

Maybe you should see a doctor???? :idontknow:

aTX427

SDG, It sounds like we are saying the same thing, but your picture shows the rear of the Jeep and his problem is with the front. As you know, when the Jeep is lifted both axles shift towards the center reducing wheelbase - the front moves back and the rear moves forward .

The OP said he was going to try lifting the Jeep more to see if it helps and my point was this will do nothing not help his interference problem at full stuff. He needs to either add bump stop or shift the front axle back. One correct way of setting up the control arms is at full stuff. This will enable him to correctly set up his bump stops and ensure he does not have interference problems with other components. He may not have the axles positioned directly centered under the wheel well, but he will know that the bump stops will hit before the shocks bottom out and there is no interference.

Last edited:

Mizippi

This is what we are going to do.

Sounds like we are on the same page.

The adjustments to the coils (and long arms) is because I will now be clearing 40s. Then stuff to see what's next

As long as there is no contact between control arm and the diff cover than it should just be trim trim trim.

Thx again everyone

2007 2WD (upgrades: Hemi, Atlas, 1 Tons, 40s, etc)

SDG

Caught the Bug
Maybe you should see a doctor???? :idontknow:
Haha... hey, your the one with the banana!
SDG, It sounds like we are saying the same thing, but your picture shows the rear of the Jeep and his problem is with the front. As you know, when the Jeep is lifted both axles shift towards the center reducing wheelbase - the front moves back and the rear moves forward .

The OP said he was going to try lifting the Jeep more to see if it helps and my point was this will do nothing not help his interference problem at full stuff. He needs to either add bump stop or shift the front axle back. One correct way of setting up the control arms is at full stuff. This will enable him to correctly set up his bump stops and ensure he does not have interference problems with other components. He may not have the axles positioned directly centered under the wheel well, but he will know that the bump stops will hit before the shocks bottom out and there is no interference.
Yes agreed! I think it was just the wording that was confusing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom