Gonna beef up my d30 a little

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you went where the JKX was and where I just got back from wheeling I will guarantee your D30 will break with a locker, 37's and 4.88's.

Well, I don't know if I would "guarantee" it but, the odds of it would be up there especially if you tried doing all the obstacles. What I would guarantee is that the axle would be totally bent by the end of the week. Still, you can drive just fine with a bent housing... well, so long as it isn't too bad. :crazyeyes:

What I will say is that like always, all the guys from the east coast all came confident that they've wheel on hard terrain but after day 1, were quick to remark at just how tough the wheeling really is out here.

1BAMFR

:cheesy: I'd count my blessings of course! Seriously, nothing sucks more than having a rig break down on a trail 10-100 miles away from the closest anything. Having said that, come on out and I'd be more than happy to show you around. :yup:

Have you ever seen a pr44 break?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well, I don't know if I would "guarantee" it but, the odds of it would be up there especially if you tried doing all the obstacles. What I would guarantee is that the axle would be totally bent by the end of the week. Still, you can drive just fine with a bent housing... well, so long as it isn't too bad. :crazyeyes:

What I will say is that like always, all the guys from the east coast all came confident that they've wheel on hard terrain but after day 1, were quick to remark at just how tough the wheeling really is out here.

If he wheels like me then it would break. Balls to the wall all the time. :cheesy:

1BAMFR

I have no doubt that your terrain out there is ridiculous...The east coast wheeling spots aren't just dirt roads either. Lmao

Chevy Dave

Another d30 debate! I figured that was where this thread would end up going! No worries though, it's fun to read!

As far as my situation, I have a lunchbox locker in the rear of my sfa zr2 and it is terrible on ice. It sends you in whatever direction you are pointed. That truck gets garaged all winter now.
I refuse to use 4x4 on the roads. I grew up in the woods in Wisconsin, if you can't drive in snow without 4wd then don't drive. I just want this thing to be more capable for the trails I run. No, they are not west coast style trails, nothing like JKX, but I'll likely never wheel outside the midwest, at least not until well after I can afford to build a real Jeep.
For a capable dd on 35s or smaller I think the locker with gussets will help a lot and chromos when money permits.
Thanks again for all the input!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever seen a pr44 break?

Not yet but, I have broken a rear semi-float PR60 shaft if that counts :blush:

In the event you didn't know, I have owned a total of 4 JK's since 2007 and still have 2. Of the 4, one was a 2009 X Unlimited with D30 front axle. Back then, I was like you and spent all kinds of money building it up and really, just to run 35's. While I never ended up breaking a shaft, I never had lockers in it but, I did have to eventually upgrade to a PR44. Why? Because the housing was bent.

For better or for worse, since 2007, I have gone through 3 different factory e-lockers, 2 D44 front axles, 1 D30 front axle, 2 D44 rear axles, broke a PR60 semi-float shaft, rebuilt it as a full-float and now run a PR80. Maybe I just suck as a driver but, I can assure you that my opinions regarding axles is based on experience. And, I'm just trying to share some of it with others. People can take it or leave it :yup:

1BAMFR

In the event you didn't know, I have owned a total of 4 JK's since 2007 and still have 2. Of the 4, one was a 2009 X Unlimited with D30 front axle. Back then, I was like you and spent all kinds of money building it up and really, just to run 35's. While I never ended up breaking a shaft, I never had lockers in it but, I did have to eventually upgrade to a PR44. Why? Because the housing was bent.

For better or for worse, since 2007, I have gone through 3 different factory e-lockers, 2 D44 front axles, 1 D30 front axle, 2 D44 rear axles, broke a PR60 semi-float shaft, rebuilt it as a full-float and now run a PR80. Maybe I just suck as a driver but, I can assure you that my opinions regarding axles is based on experience. And, I'm just trying to share some of it with others. People can take it or leave it :yup:

Are you saying you're built D30 in your 09' stood up to your abuse? :shock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If he wheels like me then it would break. Balls to the wall all the time. :cheesy:

:cheesy: Ummm, yeah, if he wheels like you, it would break :crazyeyes: :D

If I went on JKX I wouldn't have anything less than a 60. Front/rear

Nah, you could do it with a PR44 and a factory rear D44 pushing 37's. That's what I had on the last JKX. Of course, one of the guys in our group did taco his rear D44.

I have no doubt that your terrain out there is ridiculous...The east coast wheeling spots aren't just dirt roads either. Lmao

Never said that the off road parks out east wasn't hard, it's just not the same thing.

bigtrucker52

So I wanna beef up my front d30 on my 2014 2dr sport. So far I plan to throw in an aussie locker with a nicer diff cover and weld in some c gussets. I currenty run 33s and do not plan to ever go bigger than 35s. I am on a college student budget so I do not plan to go tol extreme nor wheel it too extreme. Do you guys think I should invest in chromoly axle shafts with nicer ujoints with full circle clips? If so, what is an affordable option? Am I on the right track so far? Will a lunchbox locker and c gussets be good enough for mild wheeling and lots of daily driving? Do I need chromos too?
Thanks!

I'm new to the jeep life since i've owned my jeep for almost a full year in april and i'm still a youngin and have a lot to learn but i can guarantee you that your dana 30 won't hold up out in moab at all no matter how much work you put into it. I'm gonna upgrade both my dana 30 front axle and dana 44 rear axle to dana 60 rock joks front and rear. If you want to save money and not get stranded out on the trail take my advice, and probably every single person that is on this form will tell you the same thing, go up to a dana 44 at least and to be on the major safe side upgrade to dana 60s front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Chevy Dave

Not doubting your experience or input at all. I really do appreciate the advice and am thankful we have a board like this where info and experiences can be passed along.
That being said, I'm 21, paying for college, living on my own, and working full time. Everything I do to either of my vehicles has to come out of my own pocket and all the work gets done in my yard by myself.
I am not trying to build a bombproof front axle. I just want a JK that is more capable than all the mall crawlers and other stockish Jeeps.
A locker, diff cover, gussets, and eventually chromos will still keep my investment into the 30 low enough that I think the benefits on the trail will outweigh the dollars "wasted" on a turd 30.
Thanks again for the advice!

Chevy Dave

I'm new to the jeep life since i've owned my jeep for almost a full year in april and i'm still a youngin and have a lot to learn but i can guarantee you that your dana 30 won't hold up out in moab at all no matter how much work you put into it. I'm gonna upgrade both my dana 30 front axle and dana 44 rear axle to dana 60 rock joks front and rear. If you want to save money and not get stranded out on the trail take my advice, and probably every single person that is on this form will tell you the same thing, go up to a dana 44 at least and to be on the major safe side upgrade to dana 60s front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Appreciate the advice! But, I will never take this thing to Moab. I wheel in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Arkansas.
Most importantly, If I saved long enough to afford any sort of aftermarket axle, it would mean that I have to leave this stock for years....that's just not happening. I wanna be on the trails by the time the snow melts here!
Like I said, not trying to bombproof my front axle, just make it a little better than what comes under your average soccer mom Jeep
Thanks for the input!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not doubting your experience or input at all. I really do appreciate the advice and am thankful we have a board like this where info and experiences can be passed along.
That being said, I'm 21, paying for college, living on my own, and working full time. Everything I do to either of my vehicles has to come out of my own pocket and all the work gets done in my yard by myself.
I am not trying to build a bombproof front axle. I just want a JK that is more capable than all the mall crawlers and other stockish Jeeps.
A locker, diff cover, gussets, and eventually chromos will still keep my investment into the 30 low enough that I think the benefits on the trail will outweigh the dollars "wasted" on a turd 30.

Trust me, I've been there done that and know where you're coming from. If anything, what I'm saying is to not waste too much money on your front axle and just play with it for as long as it will allow you to. Like I said, I think you'll be fine but would recommend a TruTrac over a lunchbox locker.

Chevy Dave

Trust me, I've been there done that and know where you're coming from. If anything, what I'm saying is to not waste too much money on your front axle and just play with it for as long as it will allow you to. Like I said, I think you'll be fine but would recommend a TruTrac over a lunchbox locker.

If i added a TruTrac it would end up costing a fair bit more. The unit itself costs more and then I'd have to get an install kit and set up the ring and pinion....I wish I could but it just can't happen right now. I could save up and wait but then it'll be that much longer that I have to stay stock lol.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If i added a TruTrac it would end up costing a fair bit more. The unit itself costs more and then I'd have to get an install kit and set up the ring and pinion....I wish I could but it just can't happen right now. I could save up and wait but then it'll be that much longer that I have to stay stock lol.

Have you really felt the need to add a front locker? If it were me I'd wheel what you have until you need to replace something.

My free unsolicited advice...live like a college student while you are there or you'll live like one when you are not. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you really felt the need to add a front locker? If it were me I'd wheel what you have until you need to replace something.

My free unsolicited advice...live like a college student while you are there or you'll live like one when you are not. :thumb:

:werdsign:.....

Chevy Dave

Lol that's why I was asking about a lunchbox locker instead of an ARB.
If you guys really think it isn't worth locking the front then I can be talked out of it. Money saved at that point.
I just wanna be able to wheel my dd

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol that's why I was asking about a lunchbox locker instead of an ARB.
If you guys really think it isn't worth locking the front then I can be talked out of it. Money saved at that point.
I just wanna be able to wheel my dd

Honestly, I would lock up the rear end before the front if anything and really, there's a ton you can do with an open front diff anyway. Hell, I've done it for a long time and would still do it.

Top Bottom