Gorilla's super slow Building of SilverBack

cbilyk23

winch questions

quick question about your winch install. did you have to purchase a winch mounting bracket or were you able just to put it in? nice looking rig!

SilverBack

quick question about your winch install. did you have to purchase a winch mounting bracket or were you able just to put it in? nice looking rig!

Thanks, it's a Maximus 3 center mount winch plate for the Warn ZEON. Took me about 4 hours by myself to instal completely. There is a trick though.

SilverBack

Yeah I thought that it was weird that the Hard Rocks have no interior options when everything else does. I'm already planning my order for next year. I cant wait.

Yeah, it delayed my order by nearly 3months. But, it was worth it. Just went over 15k miles and had it for 1yr 6 days.

SilverBack

Hopeful Build list with questions and opinions!

Want to run minimum 37s but very interested in 40s

Dynatrac XD60 up front and pro rock 60 rear both with 5x5 lug pattern

EVO DTD possibly upgrade to EVO lever later

EVO sliders or similar

Unsure about bumpers and tire carrier at this point.

Any reasonable ideas as to the order of mods would be appreciated of course with explication and reasoning! Eddie, Sharky, MTG, Trailbud, ORE and TrailJeeps, you guys in the know are really welcome !

Last edited:

Napalm

Bump for advice

If your wanting to run a 37, you could go with the 4 inch enforcer. It would be much cheaper than the DTD and still give you great quality ride on road and good off road performance. It'll help you get on 37s faster! LoL!

What makes you want the DTD?

Last edited:

SilverBack

My jeep will eventually no longer be a DD and the ultimate goal is to have my own version of Moby or Trail buds jeep! (sans engine) I want the most capable suspension I can get. Problem is the order in which to get what I want. I do not want to take perfectly good rubi parts off to replace with upgrades all at once. The timeline is the fuzzy part for me.

Replace the stock D44 before it breaks, run it until it breaks, install the lift and run the stock axels until they break and replace, run a xd60 in the front with lift and run stock rear.... Etc.

I will have at a minimum a DTD setup but will weight the advantages of the lever at a later date. I will run minimum 37s but may jump to 40s straight away.

My jeep will eventually no longer be a DD and the ultimate goal is to have my own version of Moby or Trail buds jeep! (sans engine) I want the most capable suspension I can get. Problem is the order in which to get what I want. I do not want to take perfectly good rubi parts off to replace with upgrades all at once. The timeline is the fuzzy part for me.

Replace the stock D44 before it breaks, run it until it breaks, install the lift and run the stock axels until they break and replace, run a xd60 in the front with lift and run stock rear.... Etc.

I will have at a minimum a DTD setup but will weight the advantages of the lever at a later date. I will run minimum 37s but may jump to 40s straight away.

I think stock rubis are fun! I'd personally build all the parts up for exactly what you want then just to a make over and bust it all out! I think it being stock will hold up for awhile unless you want to do some aggressive wheeling then maybe speed it up alittle bit with the parts.

SilverBack

Agreed, a stock Rubin is awesome. Ours has served us very well and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. However, I want to build it up in the next few years and want to do it smarter not harder.

SilverBack

Made a decision to revert back to the original black fender flares. The wife thinks it looks tougher!

Before
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471547727.443932.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471547759.642893.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471547782.241661.jpg

I'll get a better photo tomorrow!

SilverBack

Teddy couldn't make it all the way into the Jeep?

Teddy, AKA Fred is a Kong dog toy for our boy, Lucky (26 month old Hungarian Vizsla). Lucky was kind enough to help me swap the fender flares, his job was to bring Fred and drop him in my lap every 15 seconds or so. My job was to pick up and throw Fred into the yard, oh yeah also to change the fender flares. Of course once the work was done it was no longer any fun for Lucky to perform his job so he abandoned Fred in the middle of the job site. Hard to get good help these days.

Forgot to mention that the wife was cleaning the billet flares as they were removed so they could be stored safely! What a gal, I'm blessed!

Lucky and Fred
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471583846.171182.jpg
Lucky and the wife
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471583891.676994.jpg

Last edited:

SilverBack

Designed and fabricated a custom fuel (rotopax) solution for a stock tire carrier. Works great for a prototype quite secure and accessible without interfering with the operation of the tailgate or spare tire.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475246467.067865.jpg

Top Bottom