Got laid off....

jesse3638

Hooked
Looks like the government shut down has started to effect state level organizations. I worked as an account manager for the largest university in the state of Georgia, which received not only state funding but federal funding. With the government shut down the federal funding has stopped and the state funding has been restricted. I came into the office this morning (we start quite early) to learn that mine and 18 other people’s positions have been laid off indefinitely.

Yay government.....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
That really sucks. It's even harder when it comes out of nowhere. Keep your head up as you always have. I'm sure something will come your way.

I’m really sorry to hear this and hope it works out for you in a better way somehow. I am a federal employee currently furloughed but required to report to work. Thankfully we have protections in place that we’ve learned of in my 22 years working for the fed. We can sustain this for a few months, but after that I don’t know. Not looking for sympathy, just in a similar boat. I truly wish the best for you! It does piss me off that our pay is the bargaining chip while the legislators get paid for not legislating.

This!!! ^^^^^

In 5 years, 11 months I’m eligible to retire and will be doing that. The plan is to supplement my pension with a non-gov job.

I too am affected by the Gov shut down. Fortunately savings is getting us by. We had been operating under a continuing resolution for ever. That is what should happen not just shutting everything down. What's even crazier is the authorization of back pay but here we still sit. If we're going to get paid put us back to work.

I have 9 years until I'm eligible for retirement any plan in to do the same thing. I got in when I was 21 so I'll have plenty of time for a second career.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sorry to hear. I have friends I went to basic training with that are still active in the coast guard and they have missed two pay checks so far due to the shut down. They are still out saving lives tho.

Brute

Hooked
I'm sorry that your employment was terminated due to the asinine situation in Washington...I have many friends that are being impacted by the inability of our elected officials to properly run the government. Legislation should be introduced and passed that prevents any type of interruption of the government from functioning at a fiscal level...

longarmwj

Thank you everyone. The good news is I still have two more checks coming (bi weekly pay for once is coming in handy) so maintaining my bills, including Jeep, in the meantime should not be an issue. I greatly doubt that it will take me another three weeks to find another job though

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Shame to hear it ... but from someone who has been self employed since end of June last yr hold your head up and know things will work out .. I was nervous as all heck when I quit my stable job and will admit some months are better than others as far as paychecks go but I'm sticking with it and hopin it gets a bit more stable..

Just know everything has a reason and I'm sure this one will work out for the better for ya ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear that shit man! We have been through one and you know what? We are still hear. It will probably turn out better. It did for us! Best of luck to ya!

Sucks for sure man. Looking at a career change myself as well and this shutdown crap has made the local job market a bit crazy with a lot of the furloughed employees looking to jump ship.

longarmwj

Hear what?

Probably the internal screams of the furloughed employees all over the nation, just if I had to guess.
Sucks for sure man. Looking at a career change myself as well and this shutdown crap has made the local job market a bit crazy with a lot of the furloughed employees looking to jump ship.

That is the issue I seem to be finding. One company that I reached out to said that they have had a massive spike in job applications and inquiries due to how many people are actually laid off or fear that they are going to be laid off.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Welcome to the real world (a.k.a. private sector). I’m not trying to be a dick and I truly hope you find work fast, but most of the working people in this country live with the constant reality that they could be laid off or out right fired. It’s total BS for the gov’t to expect people to work without getting paid, but it’s equally BS for gov’t workers to expect that they will always have a job simply because they work for the gov’t (and no, I’m not saying you fall into that category).

fiend

Caught the Bug
Welcome to the real world (a.k.a. private sector). I’m not trying to be a dick and I truly hope you find work fast, but most of the working people in this country live with the constant reality that they could be laid off or out right fired. It’s total BS for the gov’t to expect people to work without getting paid, but it’s equally BS for gov’t workers to expect that they will always have a job simply because they work for the gov’t (and no, I’m not saying you fall into that category).

Isn’t that why you get a gubmint job? So you can’t be fired and don’t have to compete with anyone? Oh yeah, the pension too.

Seriously though, it is pretty fucked up that trump expects all these people to work without a pay check.

Top Bottom