Got laid off....

jesse3638

Hooked
Welcome to the real world (a.k.a. private sector). I’m not trying to be a dick and I truly hope you find work fast, but most of the working people in this country live with the constant reality that they could be laid off or out right fired. It’s total BS for the gov’t to expect people to work without getting paid, but it’s equally BS for gov’t workers to expect that they will always have a job simply because they work for the gov’t (and no, I’m not saying you fall into that category).
That's why I call it glorified welfare. There are so many positions I see which could be done by a monkey. I wasn't expecting back pay, but since it's been granted I'm ready to go back to work but can't. The shit I've seen is ridiculous. For example instead of training someone who already does very little to do something else they'll hire another person. Or quick spend this money on stupid widgets by close of business instead of simply giving it back. Don't even get me started on the buracracy. Makes getting work done nearly impossible. A lot of gov jobs came about during the great depression as a way of making the working man feel like he wasn't accepting gov assistance. OK end rant.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
That's why I call it glorified welfare. There are so many positions I see which could be done by a monkey. I wasn't expecting back pay, but since it's been granted I'm ready to go back to work but can't. The shit I've seen is ridiculous. For example instead of training someone who already does very little to do something else they'll hire another person. Or quick spend this money on stupid widgets by close of business instead of simply giving it back. Don't even get me started on the buracracy. Makes getting work done nearly impossible. A lot of gov jobs came about during the great depression as a way of making the working man feel like he wasn't accepting gov assistance. OK end rant.

I'm right with you on this. My neighbor and I always talk about if anybody would believe someone if they tried to convince the public of how much money the government actually wastes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

longarmwj

Welcome to the real world (a.k.a. private sector). I’m not trying to be a dick and I truly hope you find work fast, but most of the working people in this country live with the constant reality that they could be laid off or out right fired. It’s total BS for the gov’t to expect people to work without getting paid, but it’s equally BS for gov’t workers to expect that they will always have a job simply because they work for the gov’t (and no, I’m not saying you fall into that category).

The most ironic (and possibly worst part) about it, is that I wasn’t actually a government employee. The company I worked for got federal funding but I was contracted through them not the government. But due to the funding being cut they couldn’t afford my department anymore, or so they say.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
The most ironic (and possibly worst part) about it, is that I wasn’t actually a government employee. The company I worked for got federal funding but I was contracted through them not the government. But due to the funding being cut they couldn’t afford my department anymore, or so they say.

Well they wouldn't profit from the government is what they didn't tell you. A lot of gov contractors, aside from military contractors, get paid a bit over minimum wage all the while the gov is paying the company nearly the full wage of the employee which would fill that position. When I watch a building being built that cost at the most 300k but it cost upwards of 1.3 million there is a problem. The contractor out of the goodness of his heart threw in a washer, dryer, and ice machine...haha. It does suck being laid off especially when it's sudden like that.

jesse3638

Hooked
After the last gov shutdown I was pissed that I had to keep working without pay all the while the office people were sitting at home going to get back pay. Basically a free vacation. Now I'm the POG going to get back pay. I'd much rather earn my money.

longarmwj

Quick little update. I have an interview with a sales and marketing firm here in Atlanta tomorrow, so that should go well. I have also had positive responses to a couple of places i have submitted my resume to.

longarmwj

Interview went great. I was called back in for a second interview on Monday. According the the HR lady I spoke with, a second interview basically means that you’re in.

longarmwj

Nice! Thumbs up to you for having the initiative to immediately get out there and find something else!! 🥃

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks everyone!!!

I knew that if I sat around waiting to see what happened, there was a large chance nothing would happen. And payroll can stop but bills don’t. I enjoyed what i did, but big picture said time to move on. Now it’s time to go out and get an old fashioned and some chicken wings [emoji23]

TrailHunter

Hooked
Great news!.... maybe you could have the HR person join Wayalife and we can help reference all your Positive Qualities as a Well Spoken Team Player.... :D

Top Bottom