Got me some bowed front springs after LCAs install

Jeepfan30

Those are bowed more than I would have expected, especially if you said you measured the arms to just over 23". Also, the coils seem really tightly wound, is your jeep super heavy? That upper black bump stop needs to be removed, you only have a couple inches of up travel, might even be making contact during daily driving. There should be more space between the yellow jounce and the RK lower silver bump stop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Getting around to this today. Here are a couple pics of the passenger side. Driver side seems to have straightened out.

Looks like you have too much positive caster set and/or you have too much lift to just set caster with adjustable front lowers alone. Not really a problem but the coil can catch the bump stop cup and make noise on the trail. Try setting your caster to +4°. 5.5° is TOO MUCH and will cause driveline vibrations if you're running an aftermarket front u-joint style shaft like you really should be. Over time, this WILL lead to the cracking of your transfer case housing - ask me how I know. If you really want to get rid of the bow, you would want to install adjustable uppers as well and use them to set your caster and just use the front lowers to set your axle position. That's how a correct setup is made anyway.

Those are bowed more than I would have expected, especially if you said you measured the arms to just over 23". Also, the coils seem really tightly wound, is your jeep super heavy? That upper black bump stop needs to be removed, you only have a couple inches of up travel, might even be making contact during daily driving. There should be more space between the yellow jounce and the RK lower silver bump stop.

my jeep is definitely heavy. i've got really heavy brawler rockers and a full artec belly skid system. i'll take out the black bump stops and go through the alignment process that dwiggles attached earlier. thanks guys.

Looks like you have too much positive caster set and/or you have too much lift to just set caster with adjustable front lowers alone. Not really a problem but the coil can catch the bump stop cup and make noise on the trail. Try setting your caster to +4°. 5.5° is TOO MUCH and will cause driveline vibrations if you're running an aftermarket front u-joint style shaft like you really should be. Over time, this WILL lead to the cracking of your transfer case housing - ask me how I know. If you really want to get rid of the bow, you would want to install adjustable uppers as well and use them to set your caster and just use the front lowers to set your axle position. That's how a correct setup is made anyway.

Okay, thanks. I have a 3.5" lift and I am running a 1350 je reel ds up front. The reason I went with front lowers only (for now) is because I'm going long arms in September and I just wanted to get by until then. Question I guess would be, am I okay to set the caster to +4 like you mentioned above, hold off on all components for a few months while I wait for long arms?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, thanks. I have a 3.5" lift and I am running a 1350 je reel ds up front. The reason I went with front lowers only (for now) is because I'm going long arms in September and I just wanted to get by until then. Question I guess would be, am I okay to set the caster to +4 like you mentioned above, hold off on all components for a few months while I wait for long arms?

It's what I would do. Like I said, it's no big deal that your coil is bowed. The worst it can do is catch on your bump stop cup and make a loud "clang!" sound when flexing on the trail and really, that's just a "may" happen.

It's what I would do. Like I said, it's no big deal that your coil is bowed. The worst it can do is catch on your bump stop cup and make a loud "clang!" sound when flexing on the trail and really, that's just a "may" happen.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks all for the input. Just glad that bowed springs are not a huge deal at the very moment...wasn't sure how worried I should be about that. I'll adjust caster next.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Okay, sounds good. Thanks all for the input. Just glad that bowed springs are not a huge deal at the very moment...wasn't sure how worried I should be about that. I'll adjust caster next.

And honestly, If you aim for the numbers in the link (92°/88°) I would bet it solves your problem :thumb:

Top Bottom