Got some jeep money... need help spending it!

Mallard8767

Alright everyone, I need some help. I'm driving myself crazy looking at website after website of lift kits and jeep pictures.

Background:
I bought an 08 JKU about three months ago. It's an "X" model but it did come with factory rear locker, electronic sway bar disconnect and 3.73 gears (manual trans).

The Goal:
I want to run 35's! This car is my daily driver so I don't really have plans of going bigger than 35's (yet) but I do want a capable rig on or off road. It's important that I maintain the reliability of the vehicle and avoid undue wear while improving it's capabilities ON A BUDGET. I will also eventually add bumpers, a tire carrier and a winch so there will be some additional weight as well.

My Thoughts So Far:
I am trying to determine which lift to go with. I am also trying to weed through the info on the net and determine what components I NEED and what manufacturers have QUALITY products. That's where I'm hoping the vast amount of experience :thumb: on this forum can come into play.

The Manufacturers I've Looked Into:
Full Traction 3'' (Economy and/or Ultra Plus)
Teraflex 2.5'' (Coil Spring Lift)
Teraflex 3'' (w/ 4 flex arms)
Rock Krawler 2.5''
Old Man Emu 2''

Where I Need Help:
Simply put, from the list above (or others you might suggest) what lift would give me the height I need to clear 35's (I want flex not just pavement driving) and provide all the components I "NEED" to prevent any additional wear on my JEEP while keeping the costs as LOW as possible???

Finally, here's what I'm leaning towards now:
FT 3'' Economy Lift PLUS (with front track bar)
Bilstein 5100's
FT Rear Track Bar
FT Front and Rear Lower Control Arms (I would prefer not to get these if I don't have to, I just really don't want to place undue wear on my drive shafts, gears, etc)

Sorry for being so long winded. I'll add a picture of the stock Jeep so you can see how badly I need this help. :thinking:

Thanks,
Jonathan

Attachments

• jeep1.jpg
    jeep1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 207

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don't want to get adjustable control arms just get a budget boost. With that you can still run 35's. Without the adjustable control arms you won't be able to get your caster right and it will feel flighty on the road.

From what I have read anything bigger than a 2.5 inch lift you can have alignment issues with the drive shafts. This was verified by me buddy who is the service manager at my local Jeep dealership. I have the Pro-Comp 2.5 in lift and love the way it drives. Haven't had it off-road yet due to work being very busy. I am interested in seeing how your project turns out.

Will

dis_dis

Banned
Jonathan,

If I were you and was planning on upgrading the lift in the future I would go with Rock Krawler or maybe Teraflex budget boosts, both are top notch products and I know for sure Rock Krawler is easily upgradable and almost positive that the same goes for Teraflex. You can even do it in stages, not a one time upgrade.

Another thing to consider is running 15" 35s, its what I did and it saved me nearly 1K off of a similar 17" set up, the only drawbacks with 15" wheels that I know of are that there aren't any viable 37" tire options so if you decide to upgrade in the future you would most likely need to get wheels too. You could also run 35s on the stock tires I believe but am not sure how that works.
GL with the set up :thumb:

Mallard8767

I'm planning on 15x8 Level 8 Trackers (black) with 35x12.5 Duratrac's or KM2's... just can't decide if I want to have better on road or off road characteristics.

Also, I want to emphasize that if I "need" to get arms to properly run 35's (aka have enough lift / travel with added weight of stubby bumper, winch and rear tire carrier) I will. It will just take current money away from things like mats, security trunk and speedo tuner ; ). I just don't have the experience to know if a 2.5 bugget boost (TF coils) will work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How much are you looking to spend? A budget boost will be a great addition and allow you to run 35's and not have to get the adjustable arms. It's what I would have gone with if I had not gotten a good deal on my flex arm lift.

Mallard8767

Well....

Tires and wheels will be ~$1500

I would prefer to only spend ~$1000 on a lift, I would be "ok" with spending $1500 and I could spend $2000 if I have to but the benefits would really have to be noticeable.

Like I said I have some jeep money... its just anything saved on lift can be spent on other things like winch/bumpers/tire carrier etc. (But I'm getting ahead of myself :D)

I guess my next question would be, if I go the TF BB route (2.5 coils) with bilsteins (about $800 total) what else do I really need (trackbars? Front lowers/uppers only? Etc???)

Thanks again to all for the help... I'm sure you get these questions a lot :banghead:

Mallard8767

Stock skids and NO recovery points... that's why bumpers (or maybe the addition of a rear tow hitch and hook) are also important. Found that out a few weeks ago when a highcentered F250 needed some help :confused:

Tackerdown

Banned
I just saw that you had that as down the road and thought that would be more of a priority (the recovery points that is not so much the bumper)

Mallard8767

Talked with TF during my lunch. They suggested a 3'' lift with at least 4 flex arms and front track bar.

Any opinions of TF 3'' w/ 4 flexarms and track bar versus say a Full Traction 3'' Ultra Plus with front and rear track bars and all lower control arms? The TF is $2000 with front track bar and TF 9550 shocks. The FT is $2000 with front and rear track bars and bilstein shocks.

What would be the rock krawler equivalent? 2.5 or 3.5?

Mallard8767

Yup, I've read the newbie FAQs. Was mainly looking to hear from people running 2.5'' lifts with no arms versus 3'' lifts with arms... all with 35's and bumpers on a JKU. Also maybe opinions on quality for TF vs FT etc.

Thanks again.

Tackerdown

Banned
I noticed in your one description you stated all lower control arms with the 3" lift. what I was told the min. would be lower adjustable front then adjustable upper rear then a drag link flip kit for the front and you would need the rear track relocation bracket. just giving you a bump. I have a 2.5" but don"t run 35's yet

TheDuff

Just get a budget boost. U can add lower fronts if your worried about caster and shocks if you want a better ride (cheap used Rubi shocks work too). Not a need for track bars at this point, but you can add them so when u out grow the BB (it most certainly will happen, 35's turn into 37's quite fast), your already covered there. No reason to spend more when a BB is just as good to get you up on 35's. I see lots of used ones around as well, spend what you saved on a front bumper and tire carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

If you're planning to wheel it, skip the budget boost. If it's just for street driving, a budget boost will be fine.

Again, if wheeling it, 3"+ is going to be better for 35's. I have the RK 2.5 Max Travel. When I got it, I had 33's. Once I added 35's, I had some problems when wheeling (fine on road). Problems included: Rubbing fenders, Rubbing front bumper, rubbing sway bar links. To fix, I hacked the ends off my front bumper with a sawzal and got flat fenders. Also had to increase my bump stops.

On the short list of mods, I plan to move to either RK 3.5" springs and longer shocks, or 4".

I haven't read good things about the Teraflex shocks. You'd be better off with the Bilstein or something similar. I have the Bilstein 5100's, they ride great. I may switch to Rancho 9000 or something else when I move to 3.5" or 4".

Tackerdown

Banned
Since you just need help spending it I can Pm You my address and all you need to do is send me the check. I'll be sure to take care of it.:thumbup:

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have skyjackers 2" buget boost and i love it. im only running 32's at the moment but its a nice small lift to get you started in my opinion at lease. i only spent $300 on it. going to a 4" one soon and 34's

Top Bottom