GraniteCrystal build thread

GraniteCrystal

Good example of how a small symptom can be a larger issue.

Got the tires rotated by DT two days ago. 5 tire rotation. Afterwards, I noticed my license plate rattles when closing the tailgate. Thought that was odd since it didn't do it before, but no big deal. I'm OCD about the Jeep though so today I planned on putting some double sided tape as padding so it doesn't rattle so loud. I take off the plate; it's the mount that rattling. I use my quick disconnect to unplug the mount and remove that; still rattles. Then I find it.

Discount Tire didn't tighten the bottom lug nut. At all. Could turn by hand.

IMG_20170702_130652.jpg

Glad I didn't just overlook the rattle on the license plate.

Just checked the other two and they're not close to spec. Checking all lug nuts now.

GraniteCrystal

Some seriously scary stuff. There's a very real scenario where 3,000 miles from now, the two remaining lug nuts that aren't tightened to spec (and they weren't even close) get looser and looser and the tire carrier fails while driving down the highway. I would hope I'd notice it before then, but scary to think if I hadn't.

May have a chat with the DT that did it.

WJCO

Meme King
Glad you caught it. Both our jeeps have tires that came with free rotations from two different shops, and I still do the rotations myself. I just don't trust anyone anymore.

aermid

Thanks for this, I just got mine done and didn't think much of it. Think I'll do a once over as well

--Erin

GraniteCrystal

Looks like I found a buyer for my JCR front bumper. There are a few guys interested so I pulled the trigger on the new LoD Destroyer stubby front bumper so I won't have to worry about not having a bumper in the interim. Can't wait to get it on! Only concern with it is it doesn't sink the winch in the bumper and my temps climb on the mountain passes. We'll see if it makes it any worse. If so, I may look into aftermarket radiator, a fan, or a hood louver. Hood louver would be my first preference since it actually changes the look of the Jeep.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
My winch sticks up pretty far in front of my radiator and I notice no difference from before when I didn't have a winch.

Top Bottom