GraniteCrystal build thread

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Which way you are running the wiring?
If you take out your battery tray there is grommet there, you have enough wiring that came with the compressor to make the connection, no splicing needed.

GraniteCrystal

That looks great! Clean look. Glad it fits. What gauge steel did you use?
Thanks! 16 gauge. Feels surprisingly rigid all mounted up. Eager to see how it does the compressor turned on.
Which way you are running the wiring?
If you take out your battery tray there is grommet there, you have enough wiring that came with the compressor to make the connection, no splicing needed.
So...may have stayed up till 2am last night wrapping that up :) I was able to do what Days did (thanks!) and run the wiring down the corner of the Jeep, along the frame, and up thru a drain plug. Didn't have to remove battery or tray. Length of wire came out just right.

Still need to run ignition and dashboard lights wire so it'll actually turn on. Putting the switch on the outside of the passenger seat since the compressor is over there already. I'll need to find those wires nearby or splice in a length and run back towards dash.

WJCO

Meme King
You may want to run the ignition signal wire to a constant 12v power source so you can use the compressor without starting the jeep. Blowing up bike tires, soccer balls, using air to blow dust off the jeep, etc. We use ours fairly often at home without starting the jeep, and it is convenient.

GraniteCrystal

You may want to run the ignition signal wire to a constant 12v power source so you can use the compressor without starting the jeep. Blowing up bike tires, soccer balls, using air to blow dust off the jeep, etc. We use ours fairly often at home without starting the jeep, and it is convenient.
Thought about that but wasn't sure what best practices are. Do you still have to put the key in the On position or do you just have it always wire to constant on even without the key in the ignition?

WJCO

Meme King
Thought about that but wasn't sure what best practices are. Do you still have to put the key in the On position or do you just have it always wire to constant on even without the key in the ignition?

No key on. I can run my compressor at any time. We wired the jku the same way.

GraniteCrystal

Wow, great job on the under-seat mount!
Thanks! I'll feel better once it turns on and I know I'm good to go for sure.
No key on. I can run my compressor at any time. We wired the jku the same way.
Trying to figure out the best option here. If I mount the switch next to the one compressor and then go thru deep water, could the water close the curcuit and turn the compressor on? How water proof are these compressors to begin with?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks! I'll feel better once it turns on and I know I'm good to go for sure.

Trying to figure out the best option here. If I mount the switch next to the one compressor and then go thru deep water, could the water close the curcuit and turn the compressor on? How water proof are these compressors to begin with?

The deepest water around here is Coney flats. If you're not planning on going elsewhere, you'll be fine. This was the highest I've ever seen it, and nobody took water inside.

37s:

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

35s:

IMG_3274.jpg

33s:

IMG_3229.jpg

32s:

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

Ddays

Hooked

Your install came out great, Scott! :thumb: Like Doug said, you'll find yourself using this compressor all the time so I'd wire it up so its hot all the time. I have a 30 gallon shop compressor that I can't remember the last time I turned it on. I use the one in the Jeep constantly its so convenient.

GraniteCrystal

Need some opinions. I color matched the paint, then did a couple layers of gloss but it's nowhere near the Jeep. Leave as is or make it glossier?

IMG_20170730_194555.jpg

IMG_20170730_194618.jpg

IMG_20170730_194623.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
It looks nice too me. It would make more durable if it was cleared, but seeing how you are using a gloss paint you should be fine.

GraniteCrystal

Your install came out great, Scott! :thumb: Like Doug said, you'll find yourself using this compressor all the time so I'd wire it up so its hot all the time. I have a 30 gallon shop compressor that I can't remember the last time I turned it on. I use the one in the Jeep constantly its so convenient.
Which hot did you use? There are wires everywhere. Not sure which one is constantly on without cutting them all and testing voltage

WJCO

Meme King
Which hot did you use? There are wires everywhere. Not sure which one is constantly on without cutting them all and testing voltage

Being that you likely ran the big fused wires to the battery, just tap into one of those and reinsulate it. You can tap into it right near the compressor and be done with it quickly.

Top Bottom