Hack's 2000 XJ Build Thread

Hack12

Well, with 2-3 feet of snow predicted to fall in the next 24-36 hours, the XJ will certainly be put to the test for the first time! :eek:

I can't wait!!! :yup:

Hack12

Anyone have any ideas as to why the transmission tunnel would've melted the carpet while I had a metal/plastic snow scraper draped over it? I was driving home from work in 4-High when I noticed it. It was the first time I was using 4WD and the first time I had something leaning over the hump, so I'm not sure which, if either, is relevant.

I know they tend to get hot, but wow. I'm getting new floor liners to cover it anyway but I've never seen something like this happen before.

Any thoughts as to whether this is normal?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422408371.381868.jpg

Last edited:

Hack12

Another thought, I had the heat on the floor setting which also pumps it through the center console onto the rear floors.

Could that have possible heated the metal tube of the snow scraper enough to melt the carpet while it was leaning on the hump?

JKWrang

I guess its possible, but idk if itd heat it up THAT much. Unless of course its got a low melting temp. That's peculiar, sir.

Hack12

I guess its possible, but idk if itd heat it up THAT much. Unless of course its got a low melting temp. That's peculiar, sir.

Yeah, I'm inclined the agree. I feel like if the heat was hot enough to do that it may have just melted the carpet on its own. Very weird. I'll check the tranny fluid tomorrow to make sure it's full.

Tigrcky

Yeah, I'm inclined the agree. I feel like if the heat was hot enough to do that it may have just melted the carpet on its own. Very weird. I'll check the tranny fluid tomorrow to make sure it's full.

I'd agree with the low melting point, but if you had a hot tranny in the jeep I don't wanna know what happened to.make your scraper melt :cheesy: sorry I had to

Sent from my whatyamacallit

Hack12

I'd agree with the low melting point, but if you had a hot tranny in the jeep I don't wanna know what happened to.make your scraper melt :cheesy: sorry I had to

Sent from my whatyamacallit

Lol, the scraper didn't actually melt. The carpet melted under the pressure of the scraper leaning against it.

Hack12

Transmission and transfer case fluid all looked good this morning. Everything looked solid underneath too. The weirdest thing of all is that the spot where it seemed the carpet had melted also looks completely normal again. It had to be aliens.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It had to be aliens.

Hack12

Considering the fact that the carpet is perfectly fine now (and a bit damp) in that spot, I'm going to have to assume that it wasn't melted at all and rather frozen solid from the icy scraper. I feel enormously simpleminded right now. :crazyeyes:

Hack12

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas and/or suggestions for mounting a couple auxiliary lights, or an led bar, to the XJ's factory front bumper?

Obviously, I know I could just drill into it, but I was hoping for something a bit more creative.

I'd love to find a light bar of some sorts, even something universal I could just drill in, but everything I seem to stumble upon is either made specifically for an aftermarket bumper or way too large/high. I love the looks of the old ZoneWorx bumper light bars but I can't seem to find them, or anything remotely similar to them, anywhere on the web.

Just wondering if ya'all had any suggestions, photos or general tips that could be of assistance?

Thanks! :)

Top Bottom